MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

"Ted Lasso" is Apple's most popular television show, and the season two premiere brought in a record number of viewers, Apple said today (via Deadline).

tedlasso.jpg

Friday, July 23, the "Ted Lasso" launch day, marked the biggest Apple TV+ premiere day to date, and "Ted Lasso" also saw the largest opening weekend ever.

During the premiere weekend, Apple TV+ saw a 50 percent growth in new viewers week over week, and "Ted Lasso" also boosted watch time of "Schmigadoon," "Physical," and "Mythic Quest."

Viewership for the second season of "Ted Lasso" was six times bigger than viewership for the series premiere weekend in 2020. "Ted Lasso" brought a 200 percent increase in viewership compared to the previous launch weekend in the United States, U.K., Canada, India, Italy, Australia, Mexico, Brazil, Russia, France and more.

"Ted Lasso" has been nominated for more than 20 Emmy awards, including outstanding comedy series. The first episode of the second season is available now on Apple TV+, and the second episode is set to debut on Friday, July 30.

Article Link: Season Two of Popular Apple TV+ Show 'Ted Lasso' Sets Opening Weekend Record

Last edited:

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
It's easy to achieve record breaking moments when everything before was below mediocrity... Not saying I don't like Ted Lasso, I like It a lot but this is like their only show that people would actually subscribe to Apple TV+ just to watch it. All this is the same thing as when Netflix releases the next stranger things, buy it for a month and not renew. Apple still needs a great back catalogue to KEEP people subscribing.

Comment

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
The show is great. I would be interested in seeing actual numbers. 200% increase of some magical, undefined number is rather meaningless.

I didn’t watch season 1 on opening weekend.

I did watch season 2 on opening weekend.

I didn’t pay for my TV+ subscription either year.

Progress?

Comment

michaelant

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2006
This is disappointing. I expect more comments from the usual MR misanthropes saying they hate the show, and people are stupid for liking it. We can do better. 👍

Comment

MrJM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Ted Lasso is amazing. Just finished series 1, it was fantastic! Sadly I don’t think it’s enough to warrant a continued subscription to Apple TV moving forward past season 2. There isn’t a lot else on there that interests me bar mythic quest and long way up and I can do all that within my free trial.

Reactions: Apple$ and Vldmr
Comment

RickDEGH

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2018
Germany
I had a job interview Monday morning, which I needed to study and prepare for. Somehow I found myself reaching for the remote late night Sunday - Ted Lasso time! Then I discovered afterwards three episodes of "Schmigadoon" were already out. I went on to gobble all that up before heading to bed. I totally enjoyed Schmigadoon, more than I did enjoy Ted Lasso.

Reactions: ObsDax
Comment

WildSky

Contributor
Apr 16, 2020
East of the sun, west of the moon
I had a job interview Monday morning, which I needed to study and prepare for. Somehow I found myself reaching for the remote late night Sunday - Ted Lasso time! Then I discovered afterwards three episodes of "Schmigadoon" were already out. I went on to gobble all that up before heading to bed. I totally enjoyed Schmigadoon, more than I did enjoy Ted Lasso.
Did you get the job after quoting Ted? :cool:

Last edited:
Comment

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
Ted Lasso is amazing. Just finished series 1, it was fantastic! Sadly I don’t think it’s enough to warrant a continued subscription to Apple TV moving forward past season 2. There isn’t a lot else on there that interests me bar mythic quest and long way up and I can do all that within my free trial.
That’s the beauty of streaming services. You can resume your subscription when the full season has been released. Watch the season during that period (🍰). And, cancel anytime…you can view for one month, once you’ve paid for it. This show is definitely worth it!

Reactions: FightTheFuture
Comment

Apple$

macrumors member
May 21, 2021
I love Ted Lasso! It's a great show, love Ted's positivity and it shows! Schmigadoon is another great show! I think Apple made great progress and produces quality shows and movies! It probably won't be a long term subscription as we can get one month for $6 CAD and watch all we want then cancel.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.