Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to unveil the second-generation Apple Watch in September or October, according to a new report from DigiTimes citing supply chain sources in a wider piece on weakening demand for tablets and wearables.

Component makers and Apple suppliers are said to be seeing "rather conservative orders" for the new Apple Watch despite its upcoming release date, information that directly conflicts with a June DigiTimes report that pointed towards "higher-than-expected" orders. Given the confusion over the second-generation Apple Watch in the supply chain, DigiTimes' information does not offer a clear picture of the demand Apple expects to see for the device.

apple_watch_new_bands_mar2016-800x406.jpg

Rumors suggest the second-generation Apple Watch will see under-the-hood spec improvements and perhaps some minor form factor tweaks, but major changes to the device are not expected to be unveiled this year. Improved battery life, a faster processor, and built-in cellular capabilities are all features we could see in a new Apple Watch.

While we can't glean anything about supply from DigiTimes, the September or October timeframe is in line with past rumors. Previous information suggests Apple is perhaps planning to unveil a new Apple Watch alongside new iPhones, and new iPhone models are typically announced in September.

According to a recent rumor, the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus will be released on Friday, September 16, and if that's the correct launch date for the iPhone 7, we can likely expect to see the Apple Watch released on the same day. With a September 16 launch date, an unveiling event could potentially take place during the week of September 5th.

Article Link: Second-Generation Apple Watch Expected This Fall

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm hoping for some more colorful sports bands. I don't know what the new watch will have over the current model

Reactions: garylapointe

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
If they make the straps incompatible I'll hunt Ive down!!

Oh you won't be alone, it'll be like villagers with pitchforks and torches hunting down FrankenIve.

I'm hoping for some more colorful sports bands. I don't know what the new watch will have over the current model

Come on, you know it will have to be thinner :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.