Second Google Android phone is unveiled: HTC Magic

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mogzieee, Feb 17, 2009.

1. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Read the rest on the BBC news website.

It sounds pretty sweet, but still no match to the iPhone. Want to try it out. Unfortunately, looks like you folks in America won't be getting it initially.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You already know this?

Must be pretty cool to have had access to Mobile World Congress. How did the phone feel in your hand?

3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

The Magic is a great looking piece of hardware. It makes the G1 look like something from the 80s.

Here's a photo gallery.

[​IMG]

Still, you couldn't pay me to give up my iPhone for either the G1 or the Magic (or any other phone, for that matter).

4. mogzieee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm talking about the Andriod system. It lacks multi-touch, the great pack-filled App Store, marketshare, etc.

Precisely.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I think multi-touch is overrated. I wish Apple had included a one finger zooming method - not everyone has two hands free all the time.

In other news, I'm excited by the Palm Pre. Hopefully the actual product lives up to the name.

6. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

This looks far closer to the iPhone than any of the other so called iPhone killers. I'll look at the reviews when it comes out but I still prefer an iPhone.

7. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

ROFL its uses some weird USB port for headphones.
    and only a 3.2MP camera even though its like a year behind.

8. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

How much camera do you really need in a phone? It's also better than the iPhone's 2.0MP camera.

9. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Not interested in this phone. Looks good, but I'm still not sold on Android. However, I will be taking a hard look at the Pre.

10. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I really hope this is sarcasm. Multi-touch works and has been demonstrated in Android and on the G1 hardware. There is an Android Market for apps and marketshare will probably catch up with the iPhone fast as a large number of huge phone companies (among other electronic companies) have announced that they will be releasing Android devices in 2010.

In the past, the only disadvantage of non-iPhones has been the fact that they are usually let down by the OS. Android has changed that, it's a brilliant system and if I was looking for a phone right now I'd be very excited.

11. boonlar macrumors 6502

whats so great about multitouch? its a gimmick IMO and if the phone is properly designed you need "gestures". with an 800x480 screen there is no need to pinch/zoom or whatever because everthing loads neatly on the screen. plus with capacitive screens you get less precision than resistive and you can't use a stylus if you wanted to.

12. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Why would you want to use a stylus when you can use your finger(s)?

13. boonlar macrumors 6502

For drawing and precise interaction with various apps? Most things you can use with you finger but having the option to use a stylus is awesome.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Let's talk when it happens... I mean, I'm not sold on the idea that the Android marketplace will not succeed, but saying this is like saying that a huge number of hardware manufacturers and music labels supported Rhapsody or PFS and so they will probably catch up with iTunes. That's... not exactly what happened.

And also where are the credible sales figures on the G1?

As for the Magic... I don't think it's particularly pretty, although it's prettier than the G1. I think it could be better if the white casing were replaced with something more contemporary -- it seems like a design that would have been very popular a few years ago. For a phone that's going to have buttons and things I don't think it's as pretty as ... say, the BB Bold. It looks fairly thick, too (which isn't a criticism vs. the iPhone but more a criticism in common with the iPhone...). It would look really nice with a brushed aluminum or titanium casing...

Featurewise... the camera seems nice enough to me, although I guess a flash would be a nice addition (also on a future iPhone). The interface seems fairly quick and reasonably well adapted to touch, although the onscreen keyboard didn't seem that responsive when the demonstrator was using it.

I'll be curious to see how the Google marketplace works out. I'm not holding my breath....

15. mcnicks macrumors regular

I don't get why there are buttons there, but that might be just my personal taste on the matter.

I was wondering, could somebody who has been near an Android phone explain why there is a trackball and a touch screen?

16. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Interesting. I guess I've never tried to draw on my iPhone.

17. mogzieee thread starter macrumors 6502a

For "drawing and precise interaction", I just use a computer.

18. boonlar macrumors 6502

Some people would like pocket computers. I use a nokia n810 and it is a tiny linux pocket laptop. I use my finger for browsing and general use but a stylus for handwriting and drawing.

19. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Yes the G1/Android is capable of multi-touch, but if you read the front page of this site one of the articles tells us about how apple asked google to not use multitouch on their phone/OS, because now since apple's monstrous multi-touch iphone patent passed, they own all of the rights to it.

20. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

3rd-party styli for the iPhone are available.

21. theevilone macrumors member

yes multi-touch is in G1, jailbreak it or root it a few line commands and you have it. xda forums have instructions. I am new to the G1 but I am really happy with it, like my htc hermes, I can do so much more just being able to not worry about memory and being able to download stuff off of the internet is good.

I still use my iphone as a backup and keep it updated, but the Android OS can only get better and hand sets from other company's can only get better.

22. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

The G1 looks absolutely terrible.

The Magic looks much better... :)

23. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

I have to say that Android has really caught my eye. I do like HTC hardware, but have abandoned them because they have always had Windows Mobile--which was a terrible, slow OS. But android seems very nice, and I do like the thought of having my physical keyboard back since I find myself missing it on my iPhone. I would like a G1, but I've heard of battery problems and...T-Mobile.

If HTC can bring something similar to the G1 over to AT&T, I'll switch. That, or a Palm Pre. I won't be buying a Windows Mobile phone again.

Steve

24. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

Do NOT buy any phone that runs on Sprints network. Sprint is absolutely terrible. :rolleyes:

25. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Yeah, exactly. That would be the one thing holding me off. I owned an OQO with Sprint data service and while it was generally fast, good luck finding coverage. It drops in and out all the time. I'm keeping my eye on the worldwide launch to perhaps import the Pre, if it has US 3G bands.

Steve