Second Monitor for 2016 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thealpha1, Aug 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. thealpha1, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017

thealpha1 macrumors member

Hi all.

I have a 27" 2016 iMac (late 2015) 5K display and wanting a second monitor... is this possible with my current setup? how does this setup work?

Looking for a nice LG monitor, the Apples ones are far too expensive for me right now..

Because my iMac has a 5k display, would it be an issue that the screen I'll be purchasing will not be 5k? I'm looking for a inexpensive LG screen.

Thanks all.

2. Raz0rEdge macrumors member

Raz0rEdge

Absolutely. You have to first determine if you want a 4K, 5K or lower resolution display. Assuming you are running your iMac at the native 5K, anything less than that on the second monitor will look off to you..

Once you decide which resolution you want to go with and find a display that fits your budget, you can determine the best way to connect.

Your iMac has two TB 2 ports in the back, so you can get a TB->HDMI or TB->DisplayPort depending on what ports the display supports..

Regards

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

4. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

Either of those should be a fine monitor. As long as you get a monitor with display port you should have a good experience.

Just remember that if you get a monitor that only has HDMI, you will not be able to get 4K @ 60Hz, only 30Hz.

I have the Dell P2715Q and it is an outstanding monitor.