Second thoughts about Aluminum...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dtlee1974, Sep 17, 2018.

1. kodos macrumors 6502

Having seen the horror of scratched glass, I made sure to get the Sapphire / Stainless Steel AW3 black stainless steel. Only been a couple of months, but it looks great still. I've seen Aluminum watches have all sorts of funky scratches. But their owners might just be careless (or not).

2. hr10 macrumors regular

I am leaning toward aluminum from S0 Stainless
    The reason behind is I read quite a few ppl got scratches on the screen on the SS model from series 2 and onward. I am not sure it's the coating or actual screen got scratched, but the screen seems not the same as S0.

3. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I've had a SS S0 and a SBSS S2 Apple Watch. I ordered a Space Gray Aluminum this time.
    I'm also starting to wonder if I made the right decision, but figure with Apple Care, if I get a scratch or bad abrasion on the watch, I can get it fixed/replaced for only $69... And still be way ahead of the cost of the current SS models.

4. barjam macrumors 6502

I have had the 0 and 3 SS. I have found no difference in the screen are both pristine. I tried the aluminum for a weekend and had multiple scratches on the screen.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2018 ---
    I don’t think anyone is talking about cases in these threads in relationship to scratches. It is about the screen. The glass watche face might as well be made out of butter where the SS screen is very difficult to scratch. It doesn’t take OCD to dislike a big scratch on a watch face you look at daily.

The other pro for the SS is that if you do scratch the case you have the option to buff it out. If you scratch the aluminum case it is way more noticeable and sticks out.

Normal wear scratches on the SS is barely noticeable unless you get right on top of it.

5. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

nrvna76

My original Series 0 space gray is still pristine. Wear it everyday and definitely whacked it enough to expect a scratch or two.

I’m still intrigued by the stainless and if the resale/trade in was better than the aluminum at least it might be justifiable for me but it’s just so much money to depreciate after purchase.

Attached Files:

6. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

This is the kind of thing I don't understand. The glass used in the Sport models is very difficult to scratch. Short of banging it on concrete or intentionally taking sand paper to it, you shouldn't be able to scratch it. I can't imagine having "multiple scratches" during a weekend of "trying" an aluminum model.

What do you do with a scratched Watch after a weekend of "trying" it out? Can you return it to Apple with scratches?

7. Sword86 macrumors regular

Boy, this thread is just messing me up.
    If I were to get a scratch anywhere that I couldn’t get rid of I wouldn’t be happy. That’s just who I am. I look after things and generally keep things for ages (I still run a late 2008 MB, a 3 or 4 year old Ipad Air 2 and won’t even own a car because I’m just too anal about keeping one perfect) But....I just can’t get past the matt finish on aluminum AWs, but we’re talking almost $500 more for SS over a GPS aluminum. I’m retired now so I’ve gotten past beating it up pulling wrenches so for the first time I’m actually considering aluminum. I guess it all comes down to whether I can be happy ‘settling’ with AL and looking at every other AW I see if it’s SS or not, or springing for what I really want. Life is just to short....I think. Pitiful, isn’t it?
    I guess I’ll just wait until I see them in the flesh.

S

8. hr10 macrumors regular

It has been messing me up since i wanna upgrade last year
    I think i will get quite upset when i see scratches on the SS more than the aluminum

9. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

Are you talking about the glass? Because you won't see a scratch on the SS glass.

10. perezr10, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018

perezr10 macrumors 6502a

It’s not that hard to scratch those plastic screens. Swinging your arm in a building with brick walls is DANGEROUS. See this aluminum watch that I had. The obsessive compulsives on MacRumors love to say how their plastic watch screens have no damage after 3 years but one look at eBay at used aluminum watches and you see that most get scratched up.

If you’ve never owned a Sapphire screened Apple Watch you may not be so upset when you get that first scratch. But if you’re a former Sapphire screen owner, you’re gonna flip out and think “What the heck is THAT?!”.

Attached Files:

11. hr10 macrumors regular

Yes the glass but I have said there are people with series 2 or newer got scratched on the sapphire display

How much to replace SS under Apple care?

12. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

Only on this forum because you have 1000's of users here. In reality, the likelihood of scratching the sapphire crystal is VERY low. I've had 2 SS watches, and banged them HARD many times and they looked like new all the time. I have other watches with the sapphire crystal as well, and same experience.

13. iBought macrumors regular

iBought

No one I know with the aluminum watch has any issues with scratches on the screen. We are all very active too.

14. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

No Apple Watch screens are plastic. The Sport models have Ion-X glass, and they are very hard. I've had two aluminum Watches (S0 and S2), and the screens are both free of any scratches. I bought the S2 launch day two years ago, and my now-15-year-old son has worn my S0 since then without scratching it.

But swinging your arm against a brick wall is indeed dangerous. You might not scratch a sapphire glass screen, but you can break them.

+1 I run and bike. I lift weights with the Watch (Gymaholic). My son runs track and XC and plays basketball.

15. Avenger macrumors 6502a

No scratches on mine either.

16. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

My OG alu watch has corrosion all around the letters/numbers on the back and a little around the bottom edge of the side button. Looks like tiny little nibbles have been chewed out of the metal... Occasionally the side button has jammed up pretty good (maybe because of this corrosion - wonder how it looks deeper in, around the watertight seal... Ugh maybe I don't want to know!), but recently it's been all good and doesn't cause even a slight fuss. *shrug*

PLASTIC? tsss... lol

I hope that's not your watch, or I would indeed say "what the heck is THAT?!" :p Looks like someone's been working part-time in outer space and the edge of the screen caught a swarm of micro meteorites... Frankly I'm at a loss to try and explain.

17. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Gymahol *is* addictive

18. hr10, Sep 20, 2018

hr10 macrumors regular

I know sapphire is very unlikely to get scratches but when you see people talk about scratches on the SS AW, it raises a flag.

I own a couple of higher end watches and I never have to worry about them getting scratches nor I don’t recall people over at rolexforum saying their watch got scratches

19. FCDP, Sep 20, 2018

FCDP macrumors regular

Beware the space black Milanese loop. A sapphire screen won't save you from its wrath.

IMG_0005.JPG

This is from my SBSS S3 that I've had for about a year. At some point, the Milanese loop must have flopped up onto the face, probably taking it off for a flight, and this is the result. I've been incredibly careful with my S3, and S0 prior. This is the only damage, and it's only visible in direct lighting, but it sucks when you can see it. I now avoid wearing the space black Milanese loop at all for fear of ruining the watch.

It's kind of ridiculous that the band it came with is capable of destroying it. I'm thinking of going aluminium for S4. The SS was nice, but not really worth it.

20. vintagekeys, Sep 20, 2018

vintagekeys macrumors regular

vintagekeys

d
    Damn, this is good to know thanks, since i never wear watches and i am also in IT, often under tables and in server rooms digging with my arms, i better get the SS version i guess. because i will ding it into people and stuff because i am not used to wearing a watch.

Thanks!

Edit: just looked at the pricing again 200 dollar extra, i cant justify that as i was planning to give this watch to my son next year and get the newest one, so within 3/4 years i have my wife and 2 kids their own apple watch so we all can use walky talky and gps for kids tracking.

21. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502a

2C9ECC0D-3C91-4B6F-B59D-BD97C74B4765.jpeg
    I did...and love it....my go to combo - almost never change it. Series 2 SB SS

22. vintagekeys macrumors regular

vintagekeys

having delved into this now looking at many pictures, i think i am way too active compared to some members here with prestine alloy AW screens, i will go for the SS option instead, because i will scratch it up faster then lightning.

my iphone 6 plus has always been in my pocket and taken care off but its full of scratches and uses the same screen type as the allow apple watch.. since the screen of the apple watch is aways facing the outside and would interact with much more types of surfaces, it cant be that scratch resistant at all. i am going to churn out the extra 200 buck :(

23. Nozuka macrumors 68020

My spacegray aluminium S3 got no scratches on the body after 1 year of use, even though i'm almost always wearing it and using it at the gym. Body seems pretty solid.

Sadly i got a light but long scratch on the screen. It's only visible when the light is reflecting the right way though.

But still ordered the SS version for the first time.

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The reason the Black Milanese loop scratched your sapphire display, is because the Milanese loop has a ‘DLC coating’ on it, which is equally as hard as the sapphire display that can scratch in which happened to you. So yes, you have to be very cautious with that specific band around the Sapphire display, because it can and will scratch it.

25. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Yeah, my S0 SS was absolutely perfect after 2.5 years of daily use, but my S3 SS has multiple scratches - tiny, but deep - after just 9 months. Seems kind of odd to me.