Second thoughts about Aluminum...

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I can justify the aesthetics and the sapphire display, which is of importance to me, but for others, a $750 44 millimeter Apple Watch is clearly out of their price point range, when they can opt for an aluminum for significantly less and still have the same watchOS experience.
Bingo. Or at least understand that if you buy the SS and upgrade annually, or maybe even every second year, you are choosing to pay a higher price. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, either.
My wife and I bought our original Watches together and upgraded to Series 4 together. If one of use went with the stainless model, we both would have. Multiplying the price difference by 2 definitely factored into the decision.

If it was just one watch, I might have considered the stainless model a bit more this year.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Where did $330 come from? You did more than just go from SS to AL I suspect.
Kudos for paying attention.

Sorry. it should be $320. That’s the difference between the cheapest 44mm SG aluminum ($430) and cheapest 44mm SBSS.($750)
[doublepost=1539444480][/doublepost]
My wife and I bought our original Watches together and upgraded to Series 4 together. If one of use went with the stainless model, we both would have. Multiplying the price difference by 2 definitely factored into the decision.

If it was just one watch, I might have considered the stainless model a bit more this year.
Yeah, Apple hiking the watch price by $100 and the AppleCare by $30 made the total cost out the door ($830+tax) not worth it this year. Some sort of psychological barrier was crossed. For me, at least.

I have to say I loved my previous SBSS and silver SS watches. Beautiful finishes. But now that the Series 4’s body is thinner, you see less of it! So what’s the point?

That, and spend over $800 at Best Buy on something else, and you’ll be backing your SUV up to the front door so a couple of guys can help you load a really big box. It just doesn’t seem worth it for rapidly evolving tech with it’s poor resale/trade in values after a year.

Last edited:

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016

That’s fair. When you factor in the Apple Watch stainless times two with taxes, it exceeds well over $1500.00. Apple’s hardware prices are exorbitant in some areas, and the iPhone has proven to be of similar value increasing as well. For me personally, I am extremely particular about certain things, and once I experienced the stainless, I couldn’t resort back to the aluminum for obvious reasons. Altogether, value is based on perception, but the major factor is is that it delivers the same watchOS experience, which is what it’s really about with the Apple Watch, as aesthetics eventually wanes over Time.

robotica

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
This is my first Apple Watch so I decided to get the cheapest option. I am open to spending more but for my first dip in the water in made sense to go with the aluminium version. Loving it so far.

CaleM3

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
So I did something dumb. I grabbed a nike version because those faces are so damn amazing that I may return my SB SS.. ugh
I’m torn. I currently have a SG Nike + S2 and I’m debating the Nike+ SG or SBSS AW4. I will add that after two years of running, basketball, washing cars, banging against walls etc, the aluminum and watch face are fairly flawless, so I think Nike + is where I’m leaning...

techno-Zen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I’m torn. I currently have a SG Nike + S2 and I’m debating the Nike+ SG or SBSS AW4. I will add that after two years of running, basketball, washing cars, banging against walls etc, the aluminum and watch face are fairly flawless, so I think Nike + is where I’m leaning...
Thats encouraging. the Ion-X Glass is the main reason why I would go stainless. just worried about it. But I did add AppleCare so...

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
So I did something dumb. I grabbed a nike version because those faces are so damn amazing that I may return my SB SS.. ugh
Im liking the nike faces too tough decision im also having SS gold i love the stainless but nike faces is awesome

staggerlee41

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I stopped by Best Buy today to look at AW 4 while out running errands. First impressions: the stainless versions look amazing, congratulations to those that have one or have one coming! The gold is absolutely stunning and I am one that heavily favors Stainless Silver traditional watches.

I waited to AW 2 before jumping into the game and don't regret that. I wanted GPS in the device. I figured I'd give it a shot and maybe go stainless this time around if I liked it enough. Fast forward to today. I posted previously that I was sure I'd go aluminum this time around. Well I actually considered stainless over the past week or so and seeing them today makes me want one even more. But not this year.

I have the income to purchase one, that's not an issue for me. The things I couldn't get out of my head are:

1. I have no need for LTE, the phone is always with me.
2. Even if I were to entertain the idea of LTE, the monthly fees for the benefit are simply not worth the asking price to me.
3. Stainless is only offered with LTE option, so even if I don't activate, I have to pay for the chip.
4. It's tech and just as my AW 2 is quite serviceable, it is staring to show signs of slowing down, which means that at some point in the future I'm going to want to replace it yet again.
5. The condition of my S2 Aluminum is absolutely perfect. My current aluminum is as pristine as the day I bought it. I've had a wet application screen protection on it since I began using it and it works for me. I don't baby it any more than I have any other daily wear watch I've ever owned. If I'm not in the shower or it's not on the charger, AW is on my wrist. Gym, hiking, fishing, biking, yard work, DIY projects and I don't have a single blemish on the case or glass.

The appeal from my perspective are upgraded internals, the larger screen and the advancements in the health technology in the watch. Seeing it today in person was enough to move me, I ordered another SG Aluminum and should have it next week. When the product matures and stabilizes more than it has now, I'd be more inclined to go for a stainless model but not there for me just yet.

Honestly, the debate between which is the best choice is futile. I mean it's a great product and it simply comes down to what you're comfortable with, what works best for you. There are pros and cons to each version. Where the rubber meets the road is thinking carefully though it and deciding on what's right for you. And what may be right for you or me may not necessarily be the right choice for everyone or anyone else.

Pick one and enjoy it!

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
Thats encouraging. the Ion-X Glass is the main reason why I would go stainless. just worried about it. But I did add AppleCare so...
From what I hear, scratches aren't covered under Apple Care Plus. Also if you're planning to upgrade again next year, Apple Care will cover you for a year for any watch defects or hardware breakdowns. For people planning to upgrade every year, not sure Apple Care + is necessary.

techno-Zen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Im liking the nike faces too tough decision im also having SS gold i love the stainless but nike faces is awesome
I stopped by Best Buy today to look at AW 4 while out running errands. First impressions: the stainless versions look amazing, congratulations to those that have one or have one coming! The gold is absolutely stunning and I am one that heavily favors Stainless Silver traditional watches.

I waited to AW 2 before jumping into the game and don't regret that. I wanted GPS in the device. I figured I'd give it a shot and maybe go stainless this time around if I liked it enough. Fast forward to today. I posted previously that I was sure I'd go aluminum this time around. Well I actually considered stainless over the past week or so and seeing them today makes me want one even more. But not this year.

I have the income to purchase one, that's not an issue for me. The things I couldn't get out of my head are:

1. I have no need for LTE, the phone is always with me.
2. Even if I were to entertain the idea of LTE, the monthly fees for the benefit are simply not worth the asking price to me.
3. Stainless is only offered with LTE option, so even if I don't activate, I have to pay for the chip.
4. It's tech and just as my AW 2 is quite serviceable, it is staring to show signs of slowing down, which means that at some point in the future I'm going to want to replace it yet again.
5. The condition of my S2 Aluminum is absolutely perfect. My current aluminum is as pristine as the day I bought it. I've had a wet application screen protection on it since I began using it and it works for me. I don't baby it any more than I have any other daily wear watch I've ever owned. If I'm not in the shower or it's not on the charger, AW is on my wrist. Gym, hiking, fishing, biking, yard work, DIY projects and I don't have a single blemish on the case or glass.

The appeal from my perspective are upgraded internals, the larger screen and the advancements in the health technology in the watch. Seeing it today in person was enough to move me, I ordered another SG Aluminum and should have it next week. When the product matures and stabilizes more than it has now, I'd be more inclined to go for a stainless model but not there for me just yet.

Honestly, the debate between which is the best choice is futile. I mean it's a great product and it simply comes down to what you're comfortable with, what works best for you. There are pros and cons to each version. Where the rubber meets the road is thinking carefully though it and deciding on what's right for you. And what may be right for you or me may not necessarily be the right choice for everyone or anyone else.

Pick one and enjoy it!
Great post. I think for me the drop in resale or trade value of SS year to year is really awful. I will likely go for a Series 5 I have a gut feeling that as big as the upgrade on series 4 was. Series 5 will be a radical change. I may get stainless then. If my series 0 wasn’t so useless I would’ve waited another year

Reactions: staggerlee41

staggerlee41

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for the kudos.

And the trade in value with Apple drops considerably. I think within a couple of days of AW 4 being announced I was offered $150 for the trade in. Not bad. It was at $125 just a couple of weeks ago and checking tonight it was $115. Sure selling privately is likely the best option but there's a convenience factor of trading it in when you get a new one through Apple. The risk is not trading/selling them in which I'd suspect happens to many and that means you basically have something that loses even more value YoY. I'll keep it to use as a backup or hand it down to a family member. But yeah, to your point the value of them drops pretty significantly from the initial purchase price.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
NOT dumb. Try them out. I really don't think there's a bad choice there unless you know, from your own personal history rather than from all the opinions you read here, that you're going to scratch the display. BTW/FWIW, I was convinced that I would and used a screen protector at first. I hated that so much that I quickly got rid of it and after a year my S3 Nike was still flawless. My wife's probably would not have passed "flawless" with a magnifying glass and strong light, but in normal conditions I'd say it was flawless, too.
[doublepost=1539561911][/doublepost]
Great post. I think for me the drop in resale or trade value of SS year to year is really awful. I will likely go for a Series 5 I have a gut feeling that as big as the upgrade on series 4 was. Series 5 will be a radical change. I may get stainless then. If my series 0 wasn’t so useless I would’ve waited another year
At this point resale value is the biggest issue for me with the SS. I expect to replace the S4 next year. Based on the S3 trade-in prices, I expect that $200 of the $225 upcharge from a cellular aluminum S4 will be a loss. (It would be even more if you compare an aluminum wifi/GPS version.).

Unlike phones, I think we're still at the point where each annual update will be at least very interesting, if not compelling. Phones have gotten beyond that, and the Watch will, too, in a few years.

staggerlee41

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
And that’s the norm. All you see on here or the internet in general are the ones with an issue. Millions of these are sold and have no issues that no one hears about.
I'm not dismissive about people having issues with any product purchased because things do happen during the manufacturing process but I tend to agree with you. People who have issues tend to do searches on their favorite search engine and that often leads them to forums where they present issues or comment on issues others have had. That's a good thing because it can help in terms of getting a solution. The other side of it though is just as you noted, there are many, many, many happy users of said purchased products who have no issues at all. And others who are not noticing some of the issues either. This is not limited to electronics either, I see the same thing on Automobile forums or any other product but mainly where I see the most of this sort of thing are products which have technology involved.

Regarding the screen on my AW 2, it's perfect after 2 years because I used screen protection, which I'm certain saved it from a few scratches.