Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Your first mistake would be trading your Apple Watch or any other Apple product into Apple. Their trade in values are absolute robbery.

Trading in through other sites and retailers would be too.

If you sell privately you would get far more money. In Canada Apple Watch devices do an excellent job at retaining their value. I sold my Series 2 SS when I got my S3 for $700 CAD. I bought it brand new for $950 and used it for a year. It was in brand new condition. I already have a buyer lined up to buy my one year old Series 3 SB SS with one extra sport band for $780 (it has Applecare+). It will be sold when I get my Series 4 Watch.

SS is the way for me, would never ever get the aluminum. Just my personal opinion, what you get for the extra money is worth it to me.

Oh I know about the "Give Back" nonsense, I leaned that the hard painful way on Sat! I traded in my S1 Sport towards the new S4. THAT was also a $25 trade in value, absolute stupid spur of the moment move and I simply wasn't thinking - mixed with excitement of actually landing a new one in a store. It is robbery from Apple..again my stupid fault.

I only saw AFTER I got home I could have landed $55 for a Best Buy GC, even more on other sites. Live and learn and yeah...the trade in of the expensive S1 Back SS...no way I would fall for that again.

Reactions: glhaynes

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple Watch is if the screen is so scratched the ability to see the screen a D therefore use the device is incredibly hampered. Walk in there with a few scratches and you are walking out with the same watch.

Aside from the post you replied to, You definitely didn’t Read the post follow up post, because if you had, you’re essentially agreeing what I/others have already said in certain cases with watch display replacements. Keep in mind, every Applestore might treat every situation differently, which Is why I said ‘Variable’ above. But for reference, I will post it, again, for you to read more condensed:

Hence

It likely has to be a very deep scratch I imagine would have to be severe enough to cause cause visibility issues, however; lighter scratches that hardly visibile would be questionable.

Last edited:

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2018
Aside from the post you replied to, You definitely didn’t Read the post follow up post, because if you had, you’re essentially agreeing what I/others have already said in certain cases with watch display replacements. Keep in mind, every Applestore might treat every situation differently, which Is why I said ‘Variable’ above. But for reference, I will post it, again, for you to read more condensed:

Hence
I guess you should have included that in your response to me then. I get a notification of someone quoting and responding to me I will respond to what was said in that response. So you know for next time.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Oh I know about the "Give Back" nonsense, I leaned that the hard painful way on Sat! I traded in my S1 Sport towards the new S4. THAT was also a $25 trade in value, absolute stupid spur of the moment move and I simply wasn't thinking - mixed with excitement of actually landing a new one in a store. It is robbery from Apple..again my stupid fault.

I only saw AFTER I got home I could have landed $55 for a Best Buy GC, even more on other sites. Live and learn and yeah...the trade in of the expensive S1 Back SS...no way I would fall for that again.
It really varies on model - my Series 3 Aluminum LTE got me $225, even with a bit of a scratch on the bezel of the display. Which I found really great and BestBuy I think was giving me maybe $100 for it? Also in the resale market I would of been lucky to get $225 especially with the minor scratch on the bezel. Also no fees from eBay etc.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North

Greatly dependent on the model as musicpenguy said. I got CDN$290 for my 40mm Nike SG with Cellular and I got to keep the bands and other accessories that came with it...that's probably another $100 value added to the trade, which is not bad at all.

Reactions: musicpenguy

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Greatly dependent on the model as musicpenguy said. I got CDN$290 for my 40mm Nike SG with Cellular and I got to keep the bands and other accessories that came with it...that's probably another $100 value added to the trade, which is not bad at all.
Yea I’ve never given up any bands or charging cables - now on my 3rd watch - really nice having the extra charging cables and still love using my original band from the series 0 (not made anymore the navy blue with the gold pin)

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Yea I’ve never given up any bands or charging cables - now on my 3rd watch - really nice having the extra charging cables and still love using my original band from the series 0 (not made anymore the navy blue with the gold pin)

Ok, well that is true. I ONLY gave back the case. Kept the band. Still have the original packaging, the long plastic box it came in.

By the way, I saw unboxing videos for the S4 Stainless steel, it's the same cardboard box as the alum? SMH.
Might not be a big deal for some, that SS came used to come in a nice white plastic square box.

terps2005

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I've only had aluminum in the SO, S2 and S3. I scratched up the screen on my S3 so I decided to make the jump. I went with space black stainless this time around and I love it. I got $225 for my S3 LTE aluminum with some screen scratching. The only thing that sucked is they wouldnt let me use that 225 towards the purchase of my S4...

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I've only had aluminum in the SO, S2 and S3. I scratched up the screen on my S3 so I decided to make the jump. I went with space black stainless this time around and I love it. I got $225 for my S3 LTE aluminum with some screen scratching. The only thing that sucked is they wouldnt let me use that 225 towards the purchase of my S4...
If you mail it in they give you an Apple Store Gift Card - did you do this in store? Confused.

TheBum

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
I've got a s2 aluminium since launch day and it looks pretty much like new. Been using it to the gym, hiking, showering, swimming etc. No issues. I think you need to picture how well you take care of products instead of how others are doing it. If you generally take good care of them and have few issues you'll be fine. I'm sure there are tons of people with the same watch has me that has given it a much harder beating than I have.
Exactly. Theoretically, the anodized aluminum Apple produces should hold up better to scratches than stainless steel under the same conditions because it's harder than SS. SS will resist denting better though.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I’ve had my aluminum Series 4 since Launch day but I’m going to sell it and buy a stainless steel 44mm. Besides the dull gray look I hate worrying about scratching the screen. I like the Stainless Steel watches so much more that I’d rather wear a SS Series 3 than an aluminum 4 if money was an issue.

Last edited:

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Exactly. Theoretically, the anodized aluminum Apple produces should hold up better to scratches than stainless steel under the same conditions because it's harder than SS. SS will resist denting better though.
very interesting about AL case vs SS

I worry more about scratches on the screen and sapphire display is more resilient for that

I got lucky and picked up a SBSS yesterday...$220 premium with sport band over the 44mm SG AL...I really like it but do I keep since I will likely get a bug to upgrade in 1-2 yrs and the premium price is probably not worth it????

Last edited:

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
SS42 S0 upgrade to SS44 S4... Wife scratched her screen 42MM Aluminum Rose Gold... whereas mine has not a single scratch after 3+ years. Based on how I kept S0 for that long, I imagine that S4 will be just as long. I want it to look good without having to place it in cases or have screen protectors on it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I got lucky and picked up a SBSS yesterday...$220 premium with sport band over the 44mm SG AL...I really like it but do I keep since I will likely get a bug to upgrade in 1-2 yrs and the premium price is probably not worth it????

You justify the price point by ‘worth’ depending what you like out of it. It’s a tech device, and obviously it has a limited lifespan, so enjoy it for what it is and _you_ decide if you want to upgrade to another device in the future. For me, the Apple Watch is the most personal device Apple offers in their entire product line up.

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
You justify the price point by ‘worth’ depending what you like out of it. It’s a tech device, and obviously it has a limited lifespan, so enjoy it for what it is and _you_ decide if you want to upgrade to another device in the future. For me, the Apple Watch is the most personal device Apple offers in their entire product line up.
Excellent point. I do think the SB stainless steel looks classy and a clear step above the SG AL model.

I have not worn a watch in years. I wanted something nice and the stainless steel black definitely fits that bill but I always get the bug to upgrade my iPhone every year and I suspect the same thing will happen with the Apple Watch.

From what I can tell the trade-in value does not hold well on the more expensive models so there’s that to consider.

I realize only I can decide the worth to me. I have to consider my OCD with scratches too. Lol

Thx for the insight.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Well this is a little harder than I expected so far. Few stores have had the 44mm SS Silver..but only the Milanese loop, $849...and the model (and price) I don't need. A LOT of 40mm in SS Silver, too small.

The one I want so far - 44mm, Silver, Sport band was in Jersey a few days ago, but InStockNow showed "IN"and "Sold Out" within 20min.
Now this morning 40 miles from me in Delaware. Few SS 44mm in Space Black.

SS for me IS the way to go...little to no worries about it like my S1.

So far with my S4 I have bumped it twice already - thankfully no damage. Which is stupid because I think I only bumped my Apple Sport just once in 3 years (When your TOO careful I guess, then you get klutzy?) I swear soon, I'll have a real good bump, and will scratch this alum body, face..that is my concern.

These Watch bumpers, sure..I could get one. But ugh, they look so goofy, bulky..

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
So I had an epiphany while sitting on the throne yesterday and looking at a notification that popped in. I purchased the SBSS on released day through Best Buy and it arrived on Monday. I had no desire for the cellular on it but had no choice so just decided to not activate it.

So really, I was paying an additional $300+ for a shiny chassis which basically is only noticeable when I'm looking at it from an angle rather than at the screen. When I thought about it that way, it seemed really silly. I got on Apple.com and found a 44mm SG with sport band at my local store and reserved it. Headed straight there from work and picked it up then home to get the box for my SS. Ended up paying Best Buy $35 for their "restocking fee" :)rolleyes:) but overall saved a good chunk of money.

As an added benefit, I never have to worry about wiping fingerprints off my watch, which after only a few days was starting to annoy me.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
The PERFECT watch would be a Nike version w/ Sapphire glass. I would easily pay $50-$100 premium for that. Gym equipment scratched the one and only aluminum Apple Watch that I owned

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
So really, I was paying an additional $300+ for a shiny chassis which basically is only noticeable when I'm looking at it from an angle rather than at the screen. When I thought about it that way, it seemed really silly.
I know what you mean.

I bought SBSS, SS and then SBSS for generations 1, 2 and 3 respectively. I thought I'd wear each for two years at least - but as soon as the next cool model came out I bought that too. Mistake #1.

Mistake #2 was thinking I'd alternately wear SS and SBSS to mix it up a bit. In reality, I mostly wore the fast new one. Auto-switching between watches was/is buggy - Another disincentive. So the older watches just sat around and depreciated.

But - through all that - I did figure out I prefer black watches. :)

So for Series 4 I went with $430 space grey and stuck a black metal band on it. Saved $330 and another $80 on the AppleCare I'd want for a $750 watch. So far:
  • Not missing the weight (metal bracelet makes up for it)
  • Not missing the appearance (space grey looks surprisingly good with the black metal link)
  • Not missing the cellular (I never activated it on my SBSS Series 3)
  • Not missing the sapphire (It was never necessary for me anyway)
  • Not missing the 16Gb storage or ceramic back (because all the Series 4's have them now. Woot!)

I do like having an extra $410.

No AppleCare of course, but no worries. I've never claimed against AppleCare anyway. If I do break it, I'll use the savings to buy another watch . If I don't break it then next years Series 5 is already paid for :)

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I know what you mean.

I bought SBSS, SS and then SBSS for generations 1, 2 and 3 respectively. I thought I'd wear each for two years at least - but as soon as the next cool model came out I bought that too. Mistake #1.

Mistake #2 was thinking I'd alternately wear SS and SBSS to mix it up a bit. In reality, I mostly wore the fast new one. Auto-switching between watches was/is buggy - Another disincentive. So the older watches just sat around and depreciated.

But - through all that - I did figure out I prefer black watches. :)

So for Series 4 I went with $430 space grey and stuck a black metal band on it. Saved $330 and another $80 on the AppleCare I'd want for a $750 watch. So far:
  • Not missing the weight (metal bracelet makes up for it)
  • Not missing the appearance (space grey looks surprisingly good with the black metal link)
  • Not missing the cellular (I never activated it on my SBSS Series 3)
  • Not missing the sapphire (It was never necessary for me anyway)
  • Not missing the 16Gb storage or ceramic back (because all the Series 4's have them now. Woot!)

I do like having an extra $410.

No AppleCare of course, but no worries. I've never claimed against AppleCare anyway. If I do break it, I'll use the savings to buy another watch . If I don't break it then next years Series 5 is already paid for :)
May your arm never gently brush up against a brick or concrete wall. Godspeed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.