Jason1978

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Wow. Just wow. Karma has been treating me very nicely this week. I spilt coffee in my 2012 Macbook pro, had to buy a new one and I will be out a $1600(less depreciation) loss because I can only sell it for parts.

I finally got my replacement phone in the mail that I have been patiently waiting for, and I look at it, it still has a nick but in a different spot this time.

Called Best Buy and they are finally going to return it. I am having major grudges towards my Apple products this week lol. It has made me wonder why I even need these luxurious products. :cool:

Live and learn I guess. Just thought I would post an update, yes I am vain.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Let me see if I understand you correctly.

You are saying that you have had two iPhone 5s's with damage to the sapphire glass home button? Sapphire glass that can only be damaged by diamonds and you got two of them?:rolleyes:

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007

You are saying that you have had two iPhone 5s's with damage to the sapphire glass home button? Sapphire glass that can only be damaged by diamonds and you got two of them?:rolleyes:

The cutter is obviously something hard enough to cut it into it's proper shape and I'm pretty sure the nicks are on the edge which is the most likely place for a nick to occur.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008

A sledgehammer could not damage sapphire glass?

pkeynote

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012

A sledgehammer could not damage sapphire glass?

It would destroy it, you have to understand two different things:

Scratching the glass is almost imposible, or at least very difficult.
Cracking the glass (Breaking it into pieces) is really easy as it is weaker than a mineral glass.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
It would destroy it, you have to understand two different things:

Scratching the glass is almost imposible, or at least very difficult.
Cracking the glass (Breaking it into pieces) is really easy as it is weaker than a mineral glass.

And you have to understand that I was quoting someone who stated that sapphire glass could ONLY be damaged by diamonds. Scratching on the other hand not so easy.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Only if you strap said sapphire glass you your head. ;)

duo7o.jpg

Jason1978

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
The cutter is obviously something hard enough to cut it into it's proper shape and I'm pretty sure the nicks are on the edge which is the most likely place for a nick to occur.

Yes they are on the edge.

----------

Also love how my thread has brought out the humour in all of you.

Hrti

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
How big were these nicks? I have a small nick on the bottom edge of the sapphire crystal myself, but it's really tiny and I'm not sure if it's reason enough for a return. Really hard to spot, and the touch id functions nicely.

Jason1978

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
How big were these nicks? I have a small nick on the bottom edge of the sapphire crystal myself, but it's really tiny and I'm not sure if it's reason enough for a return. Really hard to spot, and the touch id functions nicely.

Ah yes. That's exactly where it was. I got my other one today and it is flawless. Exactly how it should be. I guess I'm pickier then others or I just expect my valuable product to be with no cosmetic defects.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
sucks..

when i get my phones, i'm not going to go look for issues.
i'm just going to use it.

Jason1978

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Second time in a row I get a phone with a nick on the touch ID crystal.

We'll I ended up getting another one. Best Buy exchanged it. Of course this one has no imperfections but I tell yah if it did I would have just dealt with it. I was getting over the whole process. And I betcha I'm the talk of the store with best buy mobile. Ah we'll what can you do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.