Second visit and changed my mind again

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by wolfpackfan, Apr 14, 2015.

1. wolfpackfan, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015

wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Just got back from my local Apple Store after having spent about 45 minutes "playing" with an Apple Watch. After my first visit, I left rather luke-warm about the watch but after today's visit I am very excited about it even to the point of placing my order for a 42mm Space Grey Sport model with black band. Of course, I have a June delivery but at least I know I am now on the list to eventually get one.

What changed my mind was I spent a lot of time playing with tasks I would do with it every day and discovered that even though I could do the very same thing on my iPhone, I could just do these tasks so much easier on the watch. Example, whenever I eat a meal I have to set a timer to remind myself to check my blood sugar two hours later. With the iPhone, I typically pull it out, unlock it (which with me is hit or miss), go into the timer and set it to two hours and click start. With the Watch, I just pull up my wrist, touch the timer field on the face and touch start. It is things like that, that just will make my life so much easier. I can think of dozens of activities each day similar to this. And this doesn't include the real biggy for me - using the Golf GPS app out on the golf course. This one app is worth the purchase price alone for me.

Anyway, once again I'm back on the Apple Watch bandwagon and can't wait to get mine in. I just wanted to post this just in case anyone else had taken a look at it and decided not get one. You might want to go back and check it out again.

Now the waiting begins. I will be living vicariously though everyone who gets one in the upcoming weeks.

2. badazz33 macrumors 6502a

badazz33

welcome home lol:apple:

3. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Angela would love this post. You just described why the store is so important and why Apple has been so successful with them.

Seeing is believing.

4. Zxxv macrumors 68040

I played with the apple watch today. I sent these two iMessages shortly after.

Just not doing anything for me at this time. Reading your post about blood sugar ties in with my conclusion on the target audience.

5. Ries macrumors 68000

Pull out phone, hold down home button while you do it, say "set timer for 2 hours", siri confirms, then put it back.

6. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Yes. No other company has thought of this. Apple truly is an inspiration to us all. Everything they do is flawless and above criticism.

7. Zxxv macrumors 68040

but for £350/$350 he could just do it on his wrist

8. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I totally agree. Wasn't swayed in the slightest after playing with it.

9. rritterson macrumors 6502

Pull out phone, hold down home button, tell siri "start a timer for 2 hours" or "remind in 2 hours to check my blood sugar".

10. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Lol... The fact that you read the post you quoted and came away with the above translation just goes to show how emotionally invested some people are in gadgets and the companies they love to hate. It's almost like politics or religion; people hear what they want/expect to hear and are incapable of objective, rational discussion.

11. yalag macrumors 65816

What is the gold watch app you speak of? Link?

12. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I am sold the moment I look at it in store. Without even touching the watch.

13. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Not really. I've just learned that this site is populated with obsessional fanatics who shoot down anyone who dares to even suggest that they might have vaguely considered the minuscule possibility of not wholly and unambiguously praising everything Apple says and everything Apple does at all times.

14. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Yep :-(
    Has made the place far less useful over the years as a discussion forum.

It feels more like a Cupertino High School pep rally most of the time.

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Yes, so inspirational that Samsung and Microsoft both made apple-like store fronts for consumers to try their products hands-on.

16. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I think you are missing the point. It is SO EASY to not hear or notice a timer on the phone. I rarely have my phone in reach in my house but will usually keep my watch on. I think we all have our own ways we will use the watches. I do not think it is nice to put down someone who has a real and serious use that will be great for them. Or I guess you have never known a diabetic.

Someday these watches will be able to correctly monitor blood sugar. They may even have some sensors already but maybe they are not all the way there yet. THAT would get me to get gen2.

17. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I wonder if they'll copy the idea of marketing a product that you don't have and wondering why people get pissed when they discover you've misled them.

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

not sure I follow what you're saying?

19. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I was sold the moment Apple sent out invitations for the September event. Without even SEEING the watch. Of course, that may be because I have a Pebble :(

20. Mathletics macrumors member

Mathletics

Look up golfshot on the App Store, the claim to be updating it with watch functionality before next Friday.

21. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

< stuff about sick people using the watch >

That's a weird take on things.

I'm anything but sick. I workout daily, sometimes multiple times a day. I'm a seasoned professional in the tech industry. I cannot wait to get my black stainless steel when it arrives in June. I personally know half a dozen or more people that have pre-ordered Apple Watches, none of them are doing it because they're ill and it'll help them tend to their illnesses.

22. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

The Apple Watch was billed on the Apple Store as "delivers 24/4".

Oddly, as soon as the pre-order window opened, that changed to "24/4 to 8/5" even for those who ordered within the first minute.

Over-promise, under-deliver. Good strategy.

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Under-deliver based on what? 4/24 is a week away. It's not today.

24. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Based on "delivers 24/4" is a wholly different thing from "delivers 24/4 to 8/5".

25. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Until 4/24 comes we cant really say anything regardless of what the order status says.