Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Customer for 9 years here. I remember the last time they pulled an ignorant and arrogant move by removing the ability to sync locally. Tried to force everyone to Dropbox or a similar service. The roar of the users was loud enough we got a separate utility to use for syncing. Wasn't great but when the later release came out, we had WiFi syncing and now that is called WLAN I believe.

Still, they don't seem to have learned not to alienate their customer base.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

Fabmac

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
Customer for 9 years here. I remember the last time they pulled an ignorant and arrogant move by removing the ability to sync locally. Tried to force everyone to Dropbox or a similar service. The roar of the users was loud enough we got a separate utility to use for syncing. Wasn't great but when the later release came out, we had WiFi syncing and now that is called WLAN I believe.

Still, they don't seem to have learned not to alienate their customer base.

i think they are thinking
how do we get more money out of our user database without working much on the app?
Subscription!

Need more money agilebits
make good app updates and we will pay for them, no problem for that.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Not sure why this is news and why everyone is up in arms. 1Password broke this news close to a year and a half ago. They even had a huge thread on this forum about it. Everyone praised it and loved it. Few didn't like it but nothing like it is now.

That is because 1Password promised to continue developing a standalone version. People trusted them. Agilebits broke their promise.

This click bait posting crap is getting absurd. One site is "concerned" about this or that and literally has no basis for it. For all we know, it's a competitor slinging mud.

Please.... The gripes (broken promises--subscription only for new versions) and concerns (loss of local vaults) are legitimate.

I had 1Password local. It was fine, cool, must have bought it at least 3 times because of different platforms. I ponied up the money for 1 yr sub. and couldn't be happier. Do I care if my passwords are in the cloud? No. It's secure. 1Password is a great company and has never had an issue.

All the "cloud is hackable" people whining about this and going to Apple's Keychain - umm, that's in the cloud too. Lol

You're correct....All the cloud IS hackable; hence, the concern. BTW, Keychain can be used without backing it up to iCloud.

Calm down people. You don't want it, don't like it - don't buy it.

People are upset because they now have to buy something else and options are few.

macpanzer

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who mentioned Enpass in the thread. Really nice app, available on every(?) major OS out there. And the desktop apps are even free.

I've been a long time 1P user but their recent business decisions are questionable. If the Windows version today does not support a local vault anymore, it is not long until the next Mac / iOS version will behave the same. Sure, older versions will keep working with local data...
Oh and their so called "changelog" on the app store is just driving me crazy, how hard would it be to just stick to the facts there?

Anyway, Enpass seems to be the alternative I was starting to look for.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Cynical take on why they seem to be discouraging local vaults: it's easier to justify the subscription model if you're providing a 'cloud' based service.
Sounds about right to me. I'm also cynically investigating a move toward something free and open source, like KeePassX or KeePassXC. I value having my data under my watchful control. Maybe that's antiquated. So be it.

Fabmac

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
Sounds about right to me. I'm also cynically investigating a move toward something free and open source, like KeePassX or KeePassXC. I value having my data under my watchful control. Maybe that's antiquated. So be it.

there are a lot of free apps out there but to be honest, there is quite a difference between a good paid ap and the free apps

1Password is very well made and smooth as silk

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
there are a lot of free apps out there but to be honest, there is quite a difference between a good paid ap and the free apps

1Password is very well made and smooth as silk
1Password certainly has the aesthetic edge. It's beautiful to use on iOS and MacOS.

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
Is it only me or Enpass doesn't work with Touch ID on iOS?

I'm torn between Enpass and another gem I've found (Secrets), Secrets is more expensive but I have no problem with that if it's more polished than Enpass as long as it's not a subscription.

architect1337

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
So before you go looking for another password program, read this:

https://1password.com/files/1Password for Teams White Paper.pdf

Then ask your new password program vendor for their equivalent. Don't be surprised if you don't get anything. You pay for what you get. The above paper will also teach and debunk a lot of what you think you know about Password managers and how they work - some of them are not as secure as you think.

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

Attachments

• IMG_0520.PNG
    IMG_0520.PNG
    181.9 KB · Views: 94

Treelo

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Germany
Regarding the security of 1password: the iOS-app doesn´t recognize a touch-id-change. It simply uses the new changed fingerprint. If someone is aware of your ios-passcode for whatsoever reason, this person could simply change the touch-id-fingerprint and would be able to unlock the 1password-app.

Although very unlikely, this is a major flaw in my opinion at the threshold of perfect security measures, which they claim for. They are stating, that it isn´t possible to implement a changed-touch-id-detection for any app, not just for 1password.

This is not true: Dashlane, Lastpass and Enpass are capable to detect a changed fingerprint and require the masterpassword again. So the subscription-fee at least in this regard is discussible.

Reactions: decafjava

ViktorEvil

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
England
I ditched 1Password a while ago when they first started talking about subscriptions (I could see where it was going) I now use https://www.passwordstore.org/ its a free command line GPG based script that works great and syncs with a git repo (local or cloud based) the iOS app has just come onto the App Store too https://appsto.re/gb/DY13hb.i

It's probably not going to work for your grandparents but if your moderately tech savvy you can set it up in about 30 mins.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
You're comparing a website hack - which has many constraints in order to remain fast enough to serve tens or hundreds of thousands of hits per second, to a strongly encrypted password database that can quite happily use enough rounds of encryption on the file to take 1 or more seconds to process for unlock by the end user.

These are two entirely different scenarios with totally different attack surfaces and totally different resource constraints.

Comparing a government website hack with a password database hack is like comparing apples to salami.

Sure, if there is malicious javascript on the web site after they have been hacked, and you use the web version to decrypt your passwords then perhaps that is a vector to getting compromised.

My suggestion would be: do not do that. This is why i don't use lastpass.

Use the app. This however does not invalidate the whole concept of cloud synchronised password DBs.

[doublepost=1500382024][/doublepost]

The XKCD method will fall to any reasonably competent and determined attacker (i.e., one who has hacked the website and stolen the password hashes from said site and is running a GPU or say amazon cloud resources against them). Combining random words via dictionary attack is a thing done by any competent attacker these days. the only really strong passwords are entirely randomly generated and say 12-14 characters or longer.

However the biggest thing to avoid is password re-use. Now if you're like the typical person on the internet these days you have hundreds of accounts, and remembering hundreds of unique passwords, even if they are like correct horse battery staple is downright impossible.

So you need to record them somewhere.

And if you're going to record them somewhere, then things like sticky notes are easily stolen or lost. Things like text files on your computer are easily stolen (and neither of those options sync). And then if you ever need to change password it is a complete pain in the rear.

So rather than spend time trying to memorise hundreds of unique passwords or try to keep them accessible via a paper pad that, if lost results in you being screwed, or in an unencrypted file on your PC which is easily stolen.... this is what a password manager is for.

To avoid password re-use, unless you have an eidetic memory, all you're going to end up doing is re-inventing an unencrypted password manager that doesn't sync via notepad, excel or whatever. Or store all your passwords on a single copy of paper that can be stolen or destroyed.

If i need to change a password using a password manager it is a total non issue. I generate a new one, run through the password reset process, sync my database and job done. I didn't know the old password, so no need to bother trying to memorise the new one either. It requires zero additional effort and has almost zero impact on my work day to change a password.
[doublepost=1500382377][/doublepost]

Uh... i have 1password 6.7.2 on this ipad and am syncing to dropbox. I bought it when version 4 was current....
[doublepost=1500382545][/doublepost]

Tags in general are better than folders, though it may require a mindset adjustment.

Why? Because an entity can only be in one folder, but it can have multiple tags.

i.e., i have a a password for say, CNET.

Does it go in my computing folder, my news folder, or some other folder?

with tags, i could tag it "Computing" AND "news" and either tag search would find it.

Yes, this is a mindset change. Yes, this is a change to how you will locate things. But it is more flexible if you are willing to adapt.

Thanks for the advice. I keep a password locked/touchID note locally with all of my unique passwords. No one but me has access to either my mac or phone. I use 2 factor as well whenever available. I'm too cheap to pay for a subscription service. Safari auto-generates passwords but I always use private browsing, clear cookies, etc so it's very inconvenient for me to use auto-generated gibberish for me. If I'm attacked, I'll finally have to give in and change my practices.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Seems cloud based solutions are standard these days. Let's see if they actually do get hacked. Who can blame these companies. You can't sustain a business on the pittance people think they should pay for software.
I'd be willing to pay the full subscription price if I got the apps for all platforms as the subsciption currently is without the hosted vault requirement. Unfortunately they do not provide this option.

tangfish

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
If standalone vaults is truly a thing they plan to keep supporting and offering, I guess I can a) stop looking for a 1password replacement for all my family, friends and myself, and b) go back to recommending 1password to every person I possibly can.

I hope this is not a joke and if they did take the huge amount of feedback seriously enough to change course, kudos to AgileBits!

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I think the fact that they went on the record saying they're bringing standalone vaults back to Windows is a pretty big gesture and probably speaks to their future plans for all platforms.

Dilbert_P

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2017
There is no mention of a one off purchase option ANYWHERE on the 1Password website and yet they claim that this is to avoid confusion for customers who might not understand the difference between the two products.

They will assess the success of the Subscription model when they see which service customers prefer!

This is what 1Password employee Eva_Schweber says:

"Full disclosure, I work for AgileBits, the folks that make 1Password.

Our subscriptions options remain new and we are still figuring a lot of things out. One of the ongoing issues has been customer confusion between licenses and account. That is why we have made it a bit harder to locate information about licenses on our site. Nothing insidious, just an attempt to make it easier for the majority of our customers to locate what they are looking for without confusing them."

iPassword have squandered the trust of thousands of customers, I believed they were honest and that their product was secure. Secure for the very reason that it was hosted on your own machine and nowhere else.

I've recommended it to everybody I know and I'm ashamed at the underhand way the company has handled this change and whitewashed the "choice" by hiding and now elimination the one off payment option.

I would willingly pay for yearly upgrades to the stand alone product, it's constantly being refreshed and companies need secure revenue but I will not pay for my data to be hosted on another company's servers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.