security on mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chihiro, Jul 30, 2007.

1. chihiro macrumors regular

hi

i would like to ask you if its used on aplle Mac computers any anti-virus or firewall software please:confused:

can you please recommend me some good ones please

thanks!

2. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

This has been asked a countless amount of times, but no you don't need any anti-virus or security software on a mac...besides turning on the firewall.

Macs don't have spyware or viruses for them.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

In the Finder, click on "Help", then enter "Firewall"

4. chuckiehina macrumors member

Well if you feel that you MUST have anti-virus for your mac (usually only needed if you transfer lots of potentially dirty microsoft documents from one windoze machine to another) you can use ClamAV. Works as well as the commerical products and it is free (although it is slow).

5. KershMan macrumors 6502

This is just plain bad advice. Just because there is nothing in the wild now, does not mean there won't be tomorrow, especially with more and more Macs being bought.

Do yourself a favor and just spend the money on Norton Antivirus. It is well worth the money, especially if you exchange files with Windows users so you don't aide propagating a virus.

Think of it as insurance. What's ~$50 if it saves your compter one day. Norton regularly updates their virus definitions and responds quickly to any issues. It is worth having them in your corner if needed.

6. bennyboi macrumors regular

bennyboi

Agh!

This HAS been asked a ton. Last week it was featured in the software section and virtually had the same thread in the hardware section. :confused:

7. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I don't like norten, causes kernel panics. Try something from intego (though I have never used their virus blocking software, i Heard it is good)

8. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Don't bother with anti-virus or anti-spyware software. Just do the following (in no particular order or importance), it's all free. You'll be safe enough.

- Switch on the Firewall and enable Stealth Mode
    - Disable any sharing services you don't use
    - Use WPA or WPA2 encryption on your wireless network
    - Use MAC address access control on your wireless network, and hide the SSID
    - Enable the Firewall on your router (if you have one), and change the admin password from the default
    - Password protect all the user accounts
    - Keep all your Mac software (including Firefox and Office, if you use them) up to date
    - Implement a sensible backup strategy
    - Set your browser(s) to not open files automatically, disable pop-ups (but allow for websites you trust), reject cookies from sites you aren't actually visiting, and enable "Phishing site detection"
    - Don't let your browser remember the passwords to any websites that access your money, or could spend your money on your behalf
    - Keep an eye on the Apple Community Websites (such as this one) for news of any serious threats. I'm sure the day someone releases a seriously threatening bit of malware for the Mac, the MacRumors will be one of the first to shout about it.

Also, use common sense. The Mac's superior security can't save you from the deposed Nigerian prince who wants to "give" you £4,000,000,000.

And of course, if you must run Windows on your Mac, then the Windows bit of your machine will require all the usual Windows security stuff.

SL

9. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

That doesn't provide any security. MAC addresses can be spoofed, and hiding the SSID only hides it from programs that respect that it's "hidden". Someone who wants in won't care about either.

10. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

True, but it doesn't do any harm either.

Personally I feel just a little bit more secure knowing that the script kiddie next door (or the local cat burglar) has got to do just a little bit of work before he even realises I have a wireless network.

But yes, it's WPA/WPA2 that provides the real security here - as long as a sensibly strong password is used.

SL

11. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

If anything....please don't spend any money on Norton. Norton hasn't released a product that wasn't complete bloat in years!

Take the advice of others here and use what is available to you on the system now. If/when viruses become a problem, then look into these other programs.

-Kevin

12. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

My university provides Norton for us, and at least on a PowerPC based mac, it seems fine.

I hadn't thought of this though...I wonder if it's a universal application? That would really stink if your antivirus program that's running all the time was being emulated!

I feel better having it. You never know, and it would be possible to transmit viri through Java (which I've seen happen on Windows) and Word documents, etc.