Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2011
Not much of a difference here on my iPhone 6. Control center still has that weird like slight 40-50fps stutter across the entire system that sort of irks me and scrolling past the home screen in the app switcher is still causing little issues. However spotlight now looks quite interesting.

mine looks like this too on the ipad air 2. its annoying and slow.

though after enabling and disabling the two reduce settings, it seems to have gone away for the moment and we're back to normal. (Took about an hour)

it does still jerk a bit when pulling down for siri.

Last edited:

disaster.report

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
New Jersey
Not much of a difference here on my iPhone 6. Control center still has that weird like slight 40-50fps stutter across the entire system that sort of irks me and scrolling past the home screen in the app switcher is still causing little issues. However spotlight now looks quite interesting.
Damn, and here I was about to reupgrade to iOS 9 thinking this fix would make things a lot better.

Tritto

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2014
I wasn't experiencing noticeable lag or significant glitches anyway (5S), but I thought I'd give this a try. Can't say there's a big change (since I wasn't really having big issues) but one thing I had noticed was when you close the notification centre the app icons would move slightly like the home screen was recentring. That little glitch is gone after doing the toggle exercise (and persists after a reboot).

Edit: glitch is back.

Last edited:

el_duderino

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2015

exactly the same here on my 6 ... any suggestions?
but this makes me pretty sure there's a bug in one of these options

asv56kx3088

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
There is no difference after toggling them on and off. I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus.
It just keeps on lagging.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
mine looks like this too on the ipad air 2. its annoying and slow.

though after enabling and disabling the two reduce settings, it seems to have gone away for the moment and we're back to normal. (Took about an hour)

it does still jerk a bit when pulling down for siri.
I definitely can agree with the annoying-ness, but this weird glitch causes less frame drops than he regular blurring on my devices :p

I reported this exact bug to Apple MONTHS ago. In public beta 1 or 2. It is usually triggered by enabling and disabling reduce transparency without going into spotlight while the setting is on. To fix this bug, you go back into settings, enable reduce transparency, return to the homescreen, go in and then out of spotlight, then go back into settings and disable reduce transparency. Fixed.

FrisbeeK9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
Let me preface this post by saying, I didn't have an issue dealing with the jerky animations in my 6+. I was happy Safari, which I use the most, no longer crashed several times daily.

Last night a member, FoxD mentioned turning on Reduce Transparency. I started messing around with that option and Reduce Motion. I completed the steps below and it helped tremendously!! Some folks have posted that it helped them as well.

***** To be clear, you're turning both these options ON from the iOS 9 default and then turning them OFF. (going back to default) *****

"I might have stumbled upon something that gets rid of most or all of the lag. I have a 6+.
o lag, pulling down spolight, opening tons of apps in the app switcher. I've seen that the jerky lag before, so I know what it looks like. It's much, much smoother now and dare I say fast!

Happy days are here again! :)

Try it out! YMMV."

This has seemed to work for my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 both running OS 9.

Reactions: scjr

tiguanito

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
There is no difference after toggling them on and off. I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus.
It just keeps on lagging.

No difference for me either on the iPhone 6 Plus. The task switcher is still horrible, the only way to fix it is to keep Reduce Transparency slider = ON. But I don't like the UI with no transparency. Is the 6 Plus already obsolete ?? I start to be tired of all the issues in each major iOS release.

lint2015

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
I've just tried this on my 6 Plus and it's definitely helped with the lag, if not solved it completely. I'm a bit baffled, but thanks OP!

We've gathered that it has something to do with the Home screen and the blur and/or transparency effects applied to it. I'm just curious if everyone who experienced a lot of lag had changed their wallpaper after upgrading to iOS 9.

I ask this because when I first upgraded to the GM seed, it was completely fine, then somewhere along the line, it started lagging. I updated to the public release last week and it was still like this. Meanwhile, older iPhones in the family have been pretty darn smooth on iOS 9 (none of which had their wallpaper changed).

I'm theorising if changing wallpaper is involved, that some routine there is buggy and toggling the Reduce Motion and Reduce Transparency settings resolves it.

Reactions: Steve J0bs and scjr

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Is this a permanent fix or just a temporary one? Did the lag came back for any one?

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
It helps big time with the lag and at times it seems to be even faster than iOS8 for me. That said, other times, I still see lag in the mail app and other random things but it's MUCH better after the fix.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
It helps big time with the lag and at times it seems to be even faster than iOS8 for me. That said, other times, I still see lag in the mail app and other random things but it's MUCH better after the fix.

Same here. I can tolerate iOS 9 much more now. Is it perfect? No, but it's a heck of a lot better than what it was. I'm sure Apple will optimize even more with new updates.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
Same here. I can tolerate iOS 9 much more now. Is it perfect? No, but it's a heck of a lot better than what it was. I'm sure Apple will optimize even more with new updates.

I agree. The one thing it got rid on my device is the real jerky animations. I love Safari on iOS 9 sooooo much better than 8.4.1. It's actually fun to use again.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I agree. The one thing it got rid on my device is the real jerky animations. I love Safari on iOS 9 sooooo much better than 8.4.1. It's actually fun to use again.

I agree. Safari is great on iOS 9. I also like the additions to the Music app. There are subtle changes, but they're much welcomed and make it less clumsy to use.

I really don't have any gripes with iOS 9 besides the performance. Everything else is great. I love how my music app is ready to use when I connect to the bluetooth in my car and other subtle changes are really cool (such as being able to pull down on an image to close it in Messages or Photos.app. I used to hate having to reach the top of the screen just to close an image in Messages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.