See watchOS 4.1's Music Streaming and New Radio App in Action

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 27, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Today's watchOS 4.1 beta, seeded to developers this morning, introduces support for streaming music directly to the Apple Watch over LTE and it brings a new Radio app with access to Beats 1 live and other Apple Music radio stations.

We went hands-on with the beta to get a look at the new features, which are primarily aimed at Apple Music subscribers who have a Series 3 Apple Watch.

The Music app on the watch looks mostly the same with access to your Music Library, recently played songs, playlists, and Apple Music mixes, but now all of your music content can be streamed over an LTE connection on the Series 3 Apple Watch models and doesn't need to be downloaded to your device.

With the update, you have access to the full range of Apple Music content, and can ask Siri to play songs with or without a phone and over WiFi or LTE.

The new Radio app houses all of your Apple Music radio stations and provides access to Beats 1 radio content. Siri can also create new radio stations with requests like "Play Taylor Swift" or "Play something fun."

It's not yet clear just how much streaming music over an LTE connection will affect battery life, but when possible, the Apple Watch will use the iPhone's connection or a WiFi connection to conserve battery.

These new features are available in watchOS 4.1, which is only available to developers at the current time. Apple doesn't offer watchOS public betas, so non-developers will need to wait for the update to be released to try out the new music capabilities.

Article Link: See watchOS 4.1's Music Streaming and New Radio App in Action

2. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

3. Anijake macrumors 6502

Anijake

4. pcorrado macrumors 6502

Streamed for about 45 minutes to the AirPods over LTE with some texting and news reading. Used about 5-6% battery.

Not scientific but I would say expect about 10% drop per hour of streaming. This was on a strong Verizon LTE signal.

5. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

Waiting to hear which folks think those two requests are synonymous vs. who thinks they are diametrically opposed.

6. punchdrunk55 macrumors member

Literally only thing I care about- Is your library from your phone back? Could care less about apple music garbage.

7. mrklaw macrumors 68020

It's not yet clear just how much streaming music over an LTE connection will affect battery life, but when possible, the Apple Watch will use the iPhone's connection or a WiFi connection to conserve battery.

So it will work on any watches, not just the LTE?

8. emiaj macrumors regular

Is the new Radio app only available to Series 3? Updated my Series 2 but couldn't find the app. Before I could stream Beats 1 in the Music App, now it's not possible anymore...
    Apple's release note didn't say that it's exclusive for Series 3 though...

9. seanmcbay macrumors member

Sure thing, grandpa.

10. anticipate macrumors 6502

anticipate

Kinda. If you have Apple Music, then yes, everything is there. Even items you ripped that then got uploaded to apple music. So essentially it's the same as your entire library on your wrist. Except all it uses from the phone is the data signal or wifi, or cellular.

It's not like before. It doesn't have a library that points to your phone's library and data. It shows apple music. The watch "now playing" app will show anything you play from your phone on the watch face however - including files and podcasts etc.

11. joueboy macrumors 68000

So basically the battery rating for Apple Watch LTE is based on the released date. So the reviews as of this moment the battery life is decent. Now when this feature is out it’s going to eat up everyone’s battery when streaming. Well played Apple!

12. anticipate macrumors 6502

anticipate

LTE use is LTE use whether streaming or not... 5 hours max

13. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

Uh, wut? Aside from you being factually incorrect, I fail to see your point. I didn't say that either view was more correct, nor did I weigh in with my personal opinion on the matter. Music choices often appear to be polarizing on this forum. Perhaps you haven't noticed.

14. joueboy macrumors 68000

So basically the battery rating for Apple Watch LTE is based on the released date. So the reviews as of this moment the battery life is decent. Now when this feature is out it’s going to eat up everyone’s battery when streaming. Well played Apple!

15. Morky macrumors regular

No WiFi. Less space than a Nomad. Lame.

16. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

Does anyone know the amount of LTE the carriers are offering? OR does it use the same data as your phone plan?

17. fatmom macrumors newbie

Can anyone try this new apple music app without having BT headphones connected to the watch? Will it refuse to play like that OS4 music app? Or will just start playing on the iphone?

18. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

The watch has WiFi, what are you referring to?

19. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

Tell us how you really feel. I love Apple Music.

20. chrisduketv macrumors newbie

chrisduketv

21. shawnjcullen macrumors member

Separate from phone data plan. Here in UK we get unlimited data for free for 6 months, then we pay £5 per month for 10gb. All on the only supported network thus far: EE.

22. geogecko macrumors newbie

Interesting thing I noticed today. When the iOS 11.0.1 update came out, I had to uninstall the public beta profile to get the update, not sure why. Today, when I saw that they were still doing betas of iOS 11, I decided to reinstall it. When I logged into the beta site, and clicked the install profile button, it gave the option to install on either the iPhone or the Apple Watch...so I ended up clicking it twice and installed on both, we will see if they ever release it to public beta testers...

23. euvnairb macrumors regular

I don't think this is coming back to the Apple Watch Music app, but I hope they update the remote app so we can access the iphone's library and also control it from out wrist. This would be similar to the remote app with the iphone and mac, in that itunes can be controlled via the remote app on an iphone.

24. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Love it! Now hoping Podcasts are added too.

25. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

If you “could care less”, then you care. At least get the expression right if you’re going to insult Apple Music. :rolleyes: