Seeing as the iPad has an IPS panel

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nutritious, Feb 13, 2010.

1. nutritious macrumors 6502

Possible the new MBPs will have IPS displays? I find it funny the Macbook panels last year around april/may were upgraded to better TN panels after I sent an email to steve about how pathetic they were...maybe he's beginning to come around?

2. iLMAO macrumors newbie

What's wrong with the current panels ? I'm a regular consumer and I find them quite alright.

3. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Believe me, they are crap.

Macbooks probably won't get better panels because of iPhad getting IPS. Any tablet device needs good viewing angles (both horizontal and vertical) due to the way it's meant to be used. That is why IPS was required.

Just look at the Lenovo X200 and X200T. Tablet has awesome screen and non-table has horrible one. There're some "cheap" tablets from other manufacturers with TN screen though.

4. iLMAO macrumors newbie

LOL on basis of *what* ?? Is that your argument ? I'll just "believe" you ? That's the most idiotic thing I've heard all day ! I'd rather believe myself (and I do so because like I said, I'm a regular consumer and I find the current displays to be very good).

5. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

What can I do if you don't see difference? Have you ever seen high-quality display? (not the glossy TN from Apple)

They are good for undemanding consumers. But for working with images they don't even come close to proper IPS panels. Pathetic viewing angles is one of the biggest problem. Gradients is second problem. Leaking backlight is third. You can run this test if you want.

6. iLMAO macrumors newbie

So now you want "high-end" displays for moderate laptops ? How many notebooks on the market come close to the quality the ones that Apple builds into their lineup ? The present LED ones with 60% larger color gamut are much better than the ones before. "Higher" is a purely relative thing, but whatever it is it costs more money than it is doing right now, so in case Apple charges more for it you'd just join the lynch mob ?

Viewing angle ? How many people on an extended average uses a notebook at any given time ? One ? I thought so too. There already is one degree of freedom where you can pull or push the display to suit your needs if say you're lying down and working, but that's clearly not enough for you. Its a damn notebook, what do you plan to do, watch it from 160 degrees and boo-hoo complain ?? You'd rather find yet another issue to trash Apple won't you ? That's sick man.

EDIT : This is the third time I'm saying it : I *am* an undemanding consumer. And so are millions of others. Whatever problems you're stating don't slap the undemanding consumer like a wet fish on their faces. If you are a high end user you'd rather get a high end external display, its simple Maths isn't it ?

7. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

I can't use external display on-the-go. That's why I want IPS in notebooks. There's extremely low number of laptops with IPS (or PVA) screens. Thinkpad T60 with FlexView (discontinued) , X200T (available) and.... that's all.

mid-2009 15" MBP has good vertical viewing angles for everyday tasks but for accurate representation of white/gray color you have to look only at 90 degrees. Given normal working distance ( < 0.6m) both top and bottom parts of the screen have noticeable colorshift while center is OK. I have to tilt screen in both directions in order to see what's happening in either bottom or top part of the image.

I replied in this thread because I hope future MBPs to get IPS. It's unlikely but not 100% unlikely.

And I'm sick of Apple-don't-have-it-than-it's-useless posts. I'm not saying you're apple fanboy (your point makes sence at least) but.... all those posts like "We don't need ODD and more than one USB" or "FireWire is useless" or "ExpressCard is useless" or "3G-modem is useless" or "Anti-glare screens is useless" coming from narrow-minded Apple's fanboys are biassed.

8. Hopsdaballa04 macrumors regular

Being an undemanding consumer is the reason that companies can ship out anything and not be competitive. Since you do not care as long as you get something. The reason why the iPad is coming out is because of customer demand. There was a demand for a product like that. SO BAM!!!!! they came up with the iPad to cover that demand.

So being a demanding consumer isn’t bad it helps drive companies to develop better products.

9. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

LOL... I'm going to wait to see how it does when it's released. We also demanded flash support, and that didn't happen.

There was also demand for a cheap and light low end macbook. But that didn't happen either. We got the ipad instead.

10. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Ok... believe yourself then, but I'd rather have a IPS panel too.

11. iLMAO macrumors newbie

DEMAND FOR A FEATURE and being a DEMANDING CUSTOMER are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT things.

*Want* is different from *need*. I have a Mercedes. I want a Maybach. I don't need a Maybach but I *want* it though. Do you think I won't be happy if the new Mac babies came with IPS displays ? Ofcourse I would !

BUT, get me right this time : I see no reason whatsoever that anyone would call the present displays "crap" -- because they certainly are not. Wanting something is fine, but crying like a f*cking baby and calling a nice enough thing crap isn't.

There is a demand for IPS displays, oh really ? I've been a geek and an Apple fanboy since 2007 -- I heard about the IPS the very first time in Job's keynote last month. Never before have I seen or read a rant dedicated to demanding an IPS display on a MBP, EVER, in any blog post, professional or otherwise, or in a forum.

Again, I'm an ordinary consumer and I use my Mac for general work and creative photography.

12. kasakka macrumors 68000

That's because to most people the most important things about their displays, TVs etc are that they are big, vibrant and cheap. Which is why we have displays that burn retinas with anything than brightness at really low levels, don't have anything even remotely close to accurate colors and have really poor viewing angles. This is also why we have lots of 16:9 computer monitors.

In the grand scheme of things the panels on the current Macbook Pros are some of the better TN panels available. If Apple wants to upgrade them, I could see that the lower cost E-IPS panels would fit the bill.

Personally I would never buy an external display with anything but an IPS or PVA panel.

13. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

The new Thinkpad W510 and Thinkpad T510 from IBM, I mean Lenovo, both have an eIPS display. I believe the X200T base display uses a S-PVA panel, and the higher end screen is an AFFS panel, which is a variant of S-IPS. I am not sure how the new super bright outdoor viewable display differs from the super bright LED wide viewing angle display though.

eIPS is really the only option, as S-PVA displays cost nearly as much as S-IPS, and more than likely, an eIPS panel will be used in the iPad. I too agree about the desktop monitors. I would never purchase a 6 bit TN panel; I would rather go back to using a CRT.

14. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

I'm not familiar with latest 15" offerings from Lenovo. Good to hear them to use e-IPS panels. Where did you get this information?

You're right, Lenovo uses S-PVA for X200t's screens with LED and FFS for screens with CFFL backlight (which seems to be discontinued though)

Exactly!

15. nutritious thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd be happy with e-ips, too. Would be a big step up

16. niceified macrumors newbie

I would like to see an IPS panel in the Macbook Pros too. As much as they charge for the 15 and 17 inch models, it wouldn't kill them to put an IPS display in there.

17. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

There are a couple EliteBooks with wide viewing angle panels as well.

The HP EliteBook 8730w with HP DreamColor
    17.0-inch diagonal WUXGA WVA, anti-glare 1920 x 1200.

And their tablet HP EliteBook 2730p
    12.1-inch diagonal Illumi-Lite, WXGA UWVA, anti-glare with Digitizer 1280 x 800

18. ventro macrumors 6502a

That's because, until now, IPS displays have always been on desktop monitors. The 27" iMac has an IPS panel, the 30" ACD has an IPS panel, and so does the 24" I think. They all offer great picture quality and awesome viewing angles. But I think there was this collective acceptance that IPS wasn't built for mobile devices - it required the panels to be too thick or too expensive for mobile devices. However, the iPad proved all of this wrong because it is really thin and has a IPS display. So now it's possible to see an IPS display in a laptop like the MBP, which is why people are excited about it.

19. jmdMac macrumors regular

Exactly. I have been waiting hoping IPS screens would come to the MPB line for some time now, and hearing about it during the keynote was great! For the average consumer it may be unnecessary however for any photographer/photo editor this would be a very welcomed upgrade, even if it did come as an extra option at an additional cost.

20. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I don't know what the tone in this thread is all about... will stay out of it... but everybody should want IPS panels in their laptops. Why wouldn't you? I don't understand your argument. TN panels are and always have been garbage compared to IPS - so if we see the possibility of them moving into Apple mobile devices, we should all be happy. It doesn't matter whether or not you personally don't understand the technology. Others do.

21. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

One could argue that Apple has been steadily moving towards IPS technology across their product lines. The last hold out is the mobile computing platform. I would find it surprising if they didn't eventually adopt IPS panels on MBPs as well.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The MB panels have horrible viewing angles, the MBP panels on the other hand, are great!

23. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

Since when are MacBook Pro's "moderate" laptops? They are Professional notebooks, they are premium. Also it is a good thing to be a demanding consumer, why wouldn't you be. And yes IPS>TN, not only for viewing angles but the simple fact TN is incapable of dsiplaying true color they are only 6bit.