Seeking advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SLC Flyfishing, Feb 8, 2011.

1. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

So I'm in the middle of Medical School applications right now. There's one school that I really have my heart set on. It's in PAC 12 country (so I can see my Utes from time to time), it has a unique curriculum that I really think would be great for me, and it really emphasizes working with underserved communities.

I spent 3 years busting my butt with the homeless (which I loved every minute of) and as a result I am able to participate in a special admissions program at this school which is supposed to greatly increase my chances of being accepted. I applied, payed a ton of money, did everything I was supposed to do and then I waited. 8 weeks have gone by since I completed my secondary application and I haven't heard a word. So yesterday I emailed the Dean of Admissions to see if he has any idea of what may be going on, or if he can tell me when I might hear something.

Today I get an email saying I never completed my secondary application. He invited me to do so, then said they'd evaluate it.

Well I have a credit card bill from late November showing that I paid my secondary fee. I also have a string of emails from an admissions counselor verifying that my materials were sent to the correct place etc.

If you don't know, medical schools operate on a rolling admissions system. Meaning the class begins to fill once applications are complete. They've been filling this school since July and I probably don't have a prayer now if I just re-submit my secondary and go through the normal process. I may be totally screwed anyway just because my application got lost 2 months ago.

I'm not normally one to raise a fuss, but this situation obviously warrants it. I have a wife and two kids so this affects much more than just me. I've got them to look out for too!

Does anyone have any ideas on how I should go about handling this without totally pissing someone off and ruining any shot I may still have? What do I do now?

I feel like I should demand an immediate interview, but that's probably going to be counter-productive. Ideas?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They can't really say that you didn't submit everything properly if you have written evidence from their admissions department saying that you did. I'd just give them a call and politely explain the situation.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would call them and talk to them. Chances are they lost it your secondary application. It is hit or miss on how it will go from there.

Call them and also send them email with copies of what you received back from the school proving that you did it. Best case it will help you along. Worse case it gets you nowhere and the schools already screwed you. The people you might piss off will not have to much in the review process of you getting in or not.

4. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

All I have is an email I sent to an admissions counselor stating that I'd finished and submitted the secondary app the night before, then listing the address I sent my support letters to. I was seeking confirmation that the address was correct (since it was to their main campus in a different state than the one I'm applying to). I also have te charge on my bank statement. Which I don't think you can even pay until all the fields in te secondary application are completed.

I'm just sick over this!

5. Queso macrumors G4

Hello there, when did you get back? And how did the overseas posting go?

6. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Hi,

I got back in Sep. and the experience was great. A perspective changer for sure, especially E. Timor.

7. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I'd call and explain your confusion and concern. Ask who you need to speak with about the matter and ask if you can come in for an appointment to discuss the issue in person, if that's possible. I'm sorry I don't know if this is a local school or not. I hope it is local because these matter usually go much better if you can get face to face with someone. I would not approach it from a "frustrated" perspective, but more from a "heartbroken" perspective mentioning how excited you were about being a part of the program and how dissapointed you are that this "accidental error" could jeopardize that.

If they have taken your application fee then hopefully that plus the email you have will be enough information for them to fix things. If they won't fix it then I would kindly ask for your application fee back and you have a choice to either sit out a semester or go to a different school.

8. Queso macrumors G4

That long eh? Show's how much I've been around MR I suppose. Glad you enjoyed it. Guaranteed to look amazing on a CV too. Best of luck getting through this obstacle in the meantime though.

9. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Update:

I finally got to the bottom of the situation. Turns out that either the staff at the admissions office, or the electronic application system made some sort of error. It took some convincing, but ultimately the fact that I had been charged for the application (they found record of receiving my payment) was the evidence needed to get them to look into what happened.

The way they explained it to me is that their application system has two folders for secondary applications. One is a "pending" folder, which holds saved, but incomplete applications. The other is a "completed" folder.

When you have entered all the required information into your secondary application, you can submit it, and are charged a fee of about $50.00, this is supposed to cause your application to be moved from "pending" status to "completed" status. I did all this but somehow my application was never moved from the pending file.

So here it's been two-and-a-half months and my application has been complete, but sitting on a server with nothing happening to it.

They found it, and it took some sort of IT expertise to get it moved without re-charging me, but they did it. Today I called to double check that the correct people now have it, they do, and they have promised to take a look at it and make their decision to interview me or not either today or monday.

I'm so glad that I decided to look into why it was taking me so long to hear from this school, I could have been waiting forever and never had anything happen.

10. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Glad to hear they took responsibility for the mistake and that things may work out for you.

11. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Thanks!

Things are looking great indeed. The school received my application this morning, pushed it through the review committee and invited me down for an interview. For most applicants this process takes up to 6 weeks. They said that they expedite people they are very interested in.

I interview a week from today!

This whole situation has sure turned around quick eh?

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I have no advice for you other than to exhaust any means possible. I am so sorry to hear how it went down and wish you the best of luck.

13. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Update

Thought I should do one last update to this situation.

I found out yesterday that I got accepted!!!!!!

I'm going to be a Medical Student, and it's been a LONG time coming.

14. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

15. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Great news SLC. Thanks for not leaving us hanging. All the best in school, I'm sure you'll do well. :)

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Awesome news, congrats. welcome to the world of student loans :p

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Glad it worked out for you. I've realized over the years that when it comes to human interaction, if you expect all the things to happen that should happen, based on it being said it will happen, without vigilance, you are bound to be let down and disappointed. You must remain ever alert! :)

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

congratulations and good luck!!!