Seems Number 4 is the Ticket

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ryan1524, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

Note the iPhone's release pattern so far:
    - First iPhone (The wow factor)
    - iPhone 3G (First redesign)
    - iPhone 3Gs (Improvements on existing design)
    - iPhone 4 (Massive improvement and redesign)
    - iPhone 4s (Improvements on existing design)

if the iPad follows the same pattern:
    - First iPad
    - iPad 2
    - New iPad (3rd gen)
    - New New iPad (4th Gen)

To me, the 4th gen may be the one REALLY worth the wait. And they're bound to have a redesign next year since they skipped it this round. I've always told people: "Get it Today if you want/need it. Or you'll be waiting forever." But this time....

I was dead set on getting one, but I can't seem to displace this from my mind. :mad:

2. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

I do not see a correlation. Going by that logic, the second iPad should have been a major redesign.

3. Ryan1524 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

The physical form changed dramatically, just like the iPhone 3G was much more pleasing than the 2G, but with very minor changes aside from the 3G radio.

I'm not saying it'll mirror exactly. The details of the updates are very different due to Apple's maturing expertise in RF tech, Display tech, manufacturing capability, etc.

4. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

Worth is subjectible to the individual

To me, every release of the iPhone was worth it. On paper it may not seem like a lot, but for people that use these products on a daily basis, the little improvments are important, i.e.: the memory increase from 3g-3gs and 4-4s.

Besides if you are talking about the "ticket" i'd say the ticket would the one AFTER the redesign. The iPhone 4 was redesigned, but the 4s is MUCH MUCH MUCH faster, and an all around much better phone, even though on paper they don't seem much different.

So the New new new iPad will probably be the best one haha

5. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I don't get what the big jump from 1 to 2 was, other than the camera and being thinner. I think people are suckers for new cases and that's it.

6. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

it was lol

----------

What do you mean?! going from iPad 1 to iPad 2 was a COMPLETE redesign, have you held and compared the two? they look and feel nothing alike

7. profets macrumors 68040

I don't get it. What is it exactly that you were hoping for? My only complaint would be storage sizes not getting bumped.

But besides a retina display, improved cpu, quadcore gpu, ram & battery increased, major camera improvement, and hspa+, hspa-dc, LTE added, what else would you have liked?

8. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

I used to be the type that saw a complete redesign as a "major overhaul," but I don't anymore. New designs are usually just about looks, and aren't usually major changes, even though it might look radically different.

Yeah, I like new designs. It keeps things fresh. But I think we're all just fickle.

Other than a new design, what else do you want a 4th-gen iPad to bring to the table? Better cameras, faster processor? We got those yesterday. Better display? Got that, too.

In terms of hardware, the next advancement I imagine would be haptic feedback. But other than that, most new features would probably be in software... and looks.

9. Ryan1524 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

I'm not complaining, just pointing out facts.

The current list of updates is impressive. I'd buy an iPad today (or March 16th) if I definitely want a tablet, and I'm judging it on merits. But it's interesting that Apple is becoming so predictable in updates that people are now expecting more and more, perhaps unrealistically, from each update.

If this sort of improvement came during iPhone 3G to 3Gs, people would be foaming at the mouth while throwing money at them. But today, look at how much whining is going on.

Still, this also means next iPad is going to jump even further ahead. Everything is relative, as you said.

Back in the dumbphone era, Massive improvements can be had every 4-6 months. With these incredibly advanced devices, advancing a tiny amount takes a while - diminished gains. Apple is wise to stretch one form factor to 2 years. It buys them time while maintaining interest. But that's what this update is, the small update before the big one. Like the 3G to 3Gs and 4 to 4s.

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You can believe what you want, OP. Come next year, you will probably start a thread (or think) "Seems like Number 5 is the Ticket."

11. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

What kind of massive improvement do you think will come about with the iPad 4th gen? The major upgrade between the 2nd gen and 3rd gen was the screen. By your logic, the 4th gen iPad will be more of an incremental upgrade from the 3rd gen.

I went from an iPod touch to an iPhone 4 and I will say that the retina display absolutely blew me away. Now imagine the same experience on a 9.7" screen. :)

12. bmat macrumors 6502

I upgraded from 1 to 2, and will now from 2 to 3. For me, the upgrade is more significant from 2 to 3 -- the screen, LTE.

Going from 1 to 2, sure the form changed (smart covers are ok, but the original case was useful to), but it was just a camera which I don't use because it sucked and a little speed.

13. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

The display alone is worth upgrading. The reason my iPad 2 has been sitting in a corner for so long is because it sucks going from the 4s or Thunderbolt display to the iPads display.

As far as if its worth it or not, of course it is. By the new and sell the old, or give it to the wife :)

14. Ryan1524 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

Most Likely. :D

15. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Why do we need to redesign the iPad again? The whole tablet scene as we know it (Yes, I'm excluding all the pre iPad tablets that existed a long time ago) is only 2 years old. I do agree that the iPad 1 was a little too bulky and heavy. The iPad 2 alleviated a lot of those complaints and added cameras. The physical design of the thing is terrific. It's thin, it's light(er), and it's sexy looking.

I think you can always stand to make things lighter, but I don't want my iPad to feel like a wafer. I feel like it's thin enough right where it is. No redesign needed.

16. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Seems to me that just because the form factor is relatively the same..some say it's not that much of an upgrade.

The retina display alone is worth it, IMO.

Sorry, it won't stand out so people know you have the latest and greatest. Until they see the screen :p

17. Ryan1524, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

Ryan1524 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

Predictions? Okay.

- Retina (same or even higher quality) OLED.
    - NFC.
    - Touch home-button and perhaps even volume and power.
    - Wireless charging.
    - Siri (properly powerful)
    - The works (more CPU, GPU, RAM, Storage, Camera, etc).
    - Thinner and lighter but stronger (fancy materials).
    - Possibly two different sizes (one larger than today, and one smaller).
    - iOS6 (closer to OSX power - and for some reason, only available with this model and beyond)

To me, a major overhaul or redesign should include the introduction of something completely new.

18. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

In the end, that's really all it's about. Same with the 4S. People want it to look different so that other people will ask them if it's the new one.

As ridiculous as that is by itself, the tech is only 2 years old. People are still impressed by the iPad 1 at this point. So if you really care what other people thing, show them your iPad 1. They'll still want to try it if they don't already own one.

19. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

There is no correlation. The originally iPhone was a totally new concept - never seen before. Apple had to quickly innovate and fix problems to make a solid product.

Apple was already on the iPhone4 when the first iPad was released. All of the lessons learned from iPhone, 3g, 3gs, 4 were incorporated into the iPad. There aren't nearly as many rough spots in the iPad as there were in the first iPhones.

I wouldn't expect earth shattering updates to the next iPad. Apple has 73% of the tablet market. There is no need to totally change the product every year because 1. it is already a great product and 2. all the competitors are years behind.

20. Ryan1524 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

Yes they have learned, but that's my point. They've done all these upgrades before (except for LTE), so I'd hardly consider it a major update. Significant yes, but not major.

As for the competitors: their hardware is impressive, the software is lacking. This can change in a hurry - there's a strong and growing following for Android.

21. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

What do you think the iPod was to the iPhone?

22. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Proved my point. You only care about the case and not its capabilities. They could just keep the same insides and squeeze in a smaller case and you'd think it was revolutionary. Crows like shinier things too :)

23. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

You're going to miss out on an amazing device, just to wait for a slightly more amazing device??

Newsflash - Buy a third generation iPad, look after it very well, sell it next February and that whole 11 months of ownership will cost you about $100.

24. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

eh not really, the iPad 1st generation was very underpowered for the "post-pc" era, the iPad 2 changed that dramatically.

Front facing camera, substantially faster, thinner and lighter design, and auto-on and instant snap on magnet smart covers? come on the iPad 2 was a huge upgrade and worth it

I think people take the word revolutionary way to seriously by definition
    Revolutionary: radically new or innovative; outside or beyond established procedure, principles, etc
    iPad 2 - I dont think i saw any other tablet using a magnet enabled case to have auto on, thats definitely outside of established procedure, and innovative.
    iPad 3 - 2048x1536 resolution in a 9.7" display? definitely beyond established procedure. (sure retina was available before, but no one else was able to bring it to a tablet sized device before apple, while others have tried)

25. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Way Apple is doing things, I can imagine that the next version will have a bump in processor power, a boost in the front camera and SIRI. Can't think of too much more for what apple has done in the past with these tablet upgrades. That will not be revolutionary, but the same tried and true evolutionary. Just a simple guess.. ;) :apple:

PS: If it is revolutionary, than I will buy it as well. :D