Segate Momentus XT drives

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xpytljkqnwmxds, Dec 6, 2010.

1. xpytljkqnwmxds, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

xpytljkqnwmxds macrumors newbie

I am looking at getting the Segate Momentus XT for my MacBook, its the first model to come out with aluminum body. I have seen people online praising it and saying it is broken. So now they have been out for a while and people may have some amount of experience with the drive, what are the facts.

Based on experience with it do you recommend it or not?

References:
    Discussion on discussions.apple.com
    Discussion on forums.segate.com

2. alfmil macrumors regular

My feeling is "eh." The vibration is noticeable over the stock 5400rpm drive, but I have never tried any other 7200rpm hdd to compare. It is not unbearable though. I haven't had any problems others mention about the drive after 3 months.

I guess it depends on what you want, but you can find that advice on dozens of threads - speed=ssd storage=hdd. I wanted storage and I thought what the heck - I'll spend a bit more and get some extra speed too. But it hasn't made a noticeable everyday difference in speed. Then again, the hardest work my computer ever does is covert video to MP4. Or I could be accustomed to the new speed and forgot how it was before.

I am not unhappy with it so I won't change it, but I don't know that I would buy it over a regular 7200rpm drive after trying it out.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1060862

And a few other threads here at MR.

I've been running 7200 RPM drives for many years, and the XT is the quietest of the lot. It's also vibration free (as were other drives I've owned). The XT is also is a great performing drive - noticeably better than the WD Scorpio Black I was previously running.

4. xpytljkqnwmxds thread starter macrumors newbie

Omg!!

Ok I have purchased it and am giving it ago. All I can say is OMG!!!! This thing should be standard in all mac's!!

Interesting how there is no hardware forum on here. It seems after I started this thread, someone else started the same thread in the Macbook Pro forum as well. There is no standard location for these discussions is there?