Self Assigned IP May Not Be Able To Connect

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Oktain, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Oktain macrumors newbie

I was using my imac as a router for my mac pro i was working fine until i updated airport now its saying"AirPort 2 has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet." Ugh im getting tired of this ive tried creating new networks but same result every time is that message above any advise would be deeply appreciated.:mad:

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Ok, so ISP <> ethernet iMac airport <> airport Mac Pro

The update you refer to is the one from the other day?

So, which airport is getting a self-assigned address? The iMac or the MacPro?

Or, did I miss the setup and need correcting? (most likely? ;) )

3. reeceo macrumors newbie

have you moved system preferences out of the main application folder, or into a subfolder inside it? That caused the problem for me

4. Oktain thread starter macrumors newbie

The imac is hosting the connection and is hooked to a cable modem via ethernet

And im not sure what update it was cause i havent updated that in forever it just poped up this evening

If it helps its doing the whole 169 IP address thing

5. almost30boohoo1 macrumors newbie

turn off and unplug everything, reset your modem to default settings. start again.

6. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

The 169-whatever addresses are APIPA-(self-)assigned addresses and won't work with Apple's Internet sharing.

On your iMac, make sure that Internet Sharing is activated for the right device - in your case your Airport card. De-activate Internet Sharing and re-activate it for Airport use. This is important because Leopard actually tends to "forget" this setting randomly! (It does so on my machine.)

Make sure that your Airport card is UP and running and that it is actually working as a hot spot and not connected itself to some other wireless LAN. You must see the up-arrow in the icon, if it's not there, your Airport card won't accept incoming connections.

If this is all okay, connect your Mac Pro's Airport to the wireless LAN of your iMac. Also make sure that your Mac Pro uses DHCP to fetch an IP from the iMac.

7. Mlomax macrumors newbie

Reinstall your original operating system

What operating system are you running? I was running 10.5.6. but after installing 10.5.7 update my AirPort has not been able to make a wireless connection to my ISP's router (message: Aiport has an assigned IP address etc). After countless phone calls to my ISP and fruitless on-line sessions with them to establish a lasting connection that doesn't require re-establishing each time my computer returns from sleep mode, I had given up all hope of ever being able to use my laptop (unfortunately necessary for my line of work) and have access to the wonderful world of the www. Out of desperation I reinstalled my 10.5.6 software from the original disc. Guess what? Airport now works perfectly as it did before the 10.5.7 update and recognises and remembers my router's WEP. 10.5.7 is an(other) dodgy piece of nonsense from apple I am afraid.
    Reinstall your original operating system and leave it at that!!

8. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

self assigned ip fix

1. Go to Mac/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
    2. Delete the following:
    a. Com.apple.airport.prefrences.plist
    b. NetworkInterfaces.plist
    c. Preferences.plist
    3.Shut down computer
    4.reset PRAM

9. Ocman macrumors newbie

Check password

I had the exact same problem last week with a MacBook Pro via airport. It turned out to be a misspelled password (I was typing an "a" for a 9).

I heard some explanation as to why I could still be hooked to the network with a wrong password, and it seems the router will accept the connection but won't pass you through because it doesn't have a token (the password) with which cipher your data. I'm not sure I got it right, so if anyone knows what happened in this case and why it worked it would be nice to read about it.

Pretty simple, but it worked for me.

10. GlenL macrumors member

Was at a coffee shop and friend's MBP with 10.6 was having this issue. Performed steps 1,2 and it worked right away, even without shutting down the computer. Before I did those steps, I was trying all sorts of other things to no avail.

11. velvetsmog macrumors newbie

Vpn!

Had the same problem on Snow Leopard. My issue was that I was logged into VPN for work. It prevented me from sharing out my connection. Once I logged off of VPN, everything worked. So you may want to check that as well. :)

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Zombie Thread!
    Well, the OP hasn't responded in over 2 years - maybe he never did get his network running. :eek:

13. dharamsk macrumors newbie

Forget all that voodoo - this is the solution!!!

To fix the self-assigned IP Address, you need to trick your mac into 'forgetting' what it 'knew' about the connection.

After multiple instances and difficult procedures, I have concluded that the problem is fixed by the following:

1. Turn Airport Off (Firewall as well, just in case)
    2. Delete all memorized networks and keychains for networks
    3. with the airport OFF, go to the list of memorized connections (it should be empty) and click '+' to add a new one
    4. The key here is that this is the only option in adding a new connection that will allow you to manually select the type of security you are using. In our case, it was wpa-2 personal.

My connection seems totally solid after this. Will update if that changes.