Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amid rumors that the Galeries Lafayette Apple Watch pop up shop will be shuttered this month, Apple also appears to have shut down its Apple Watch shop at the high-end Selfridges department store in London, England.

The Selfridges retail store listing, which previously showed the Selfridges store front along with store hours and location, has been removed from Apple's website and now redirects to a list of UK stores.

Apple's Selfridges pop up shop was first introduced in 2015 alongside the launch of the Apple Watch. It was located in the iconic Wonder Room, which is a 19,000 square-foot hall that houses a number of luxury jewelry and watch brands.

selfridgespopupshop-800x533.jpg

There was no warning that the Selfridges pop up shop would be shut down, but rumors have suggested Apple is planning to close the Galeries Lafayette Apple Watch pop up shop this month due to poor sales.

At this time, the Galeries Lafayette Apple Watch page is still intact, as is the Isetan listing for Apple's luxury pop up shop at the Isetan department store in Tokyo, Japan.

There's no word on whether the Isetan shop is shutting down, but Apple has reportedly been reducing the number of employees at Galeries Lafayette ahead of its closure.

If poor sales are the reason behind the end of the Galeries Lafayette pop up shop, it's likely the Selfridges store suffered from similar problems. Both stores were originally set up to sell the high-end Apple Watch Edition made from 18-karat gold and priced up to $17,000, but Apple discontinued that model in September of 2016, replacing it with the lower-priced ceramic Edition models.

Article Link: Selfridges Apple Watch Pop Up Shop Shuts Down

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
A pop up Apple Watch store was destined for failure to begin with. It's a big investment, pop up stores make more sense for Auntie Anne's and macaroons.

Reactions: dan110

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Shame. Nice store, nice staff, and seemed to be the start of a much-needed vision of separating retail from repairs and service with its lack of a Genius Bar.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I think ego took over here. The Apple Watch is a nice watch but a pop up shop for it is to sell three watches in two sizes with many bands. Not exactly the variety even a pop up shop would need.

Watch people want variety.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Since Apple's approach to the Watch has changed, this makes sense. The aluminum models seem to be what drives most of the revenue, and they don't really fit in at high-end stores.

It was worth a shot, though.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Doubtful it's poor sales. More likely it's due to Apple now focusing the Watch as a "Fitness" gadget as opposed to a "Fashion" gadget which is something they should have done in the first place
Actually I think they were right in market Ng it as jewellery first, utility second. The other way around makes it too geeky and not likely to replace your regular watch full time. I guess the transition was always part of the plan.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
As a gadget fan the apple watch grabs my attention. I don't reeeally have a need for one, but drop the price to about £50 and i may part with my cash.

Reactions: mkeeley

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
One thing is for sure: Apple is willing to keep tweaking their Apple Watch game plan at a fast pace until they hit the sweet spot.

Since the first watch was released, they have significantly modified the strap offerings, the tone of the advertising, the way the OS works, the naming of the collections, the price points, the watch case colors, and the price/material of the Edition line. They have deemphasized some features and emphasized others.

Whether we agree with all their choices or not, the competitors are going to have a hard time catching up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.