Sell iBook G4 for netbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SkyBell, Apr 28, 2009.

1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

So, recently, I've been looking at netbooks a lot. I'm not quite sure why, but I really want one.

Problem is, the only way I could justify getting one is if I sold my iBook G4, replacing it basically. I love it, it's been great to me. But the DC-in board is giving me intermittent charging problems, and the keyboard is due for replacement. Not to mention the display hinge is getting a little weak.

Unless I'm wrong, the 1.6 GHz Atom would be a large improvement over my 1.3 GHz PPC, no? I sure could use the speed boost and the larger HDD I would get with the netbook.

But I'm not sure I could adapt to the smaller screen size. 12" is a perfect size in my mind, but I don't have the money for a netbook of that size. The loss of an optical drive is also an issue, though something I'd be willing to sacrifice for the portability and theoretical speed boost.

I'd still have my eMac as my main machine, and just use the netbook around the house and at school.

So what do you guys think? Is it worth the loss of my iBook for a more powerful netbook?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

But it runs Windows Cassie... are you sure you want to do that? :eek:
    Do you have the Windows programs you need?
    If not, you will have to factor that in the cost

Or will you make it a hackintosh?

I think the concept is cool too

Note: like your new 'tar too ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

dell

i hate saying this but look up dells mini 12 its cheap, has a 12 inch screen about 1 inch thick and actually pretty nice but its 1.33 base model

and yay emacs rule

4. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

I don't think I'll mind too much. I already have a desktop PC that runs Windows, so I'm used to it. All the programs I use are freeware/open source, so no problems there. The Hackintoush route may be a future option, depending on how hard it would be to get it to work. And thanks for the comment on the avatar. :)

I would get that in a heartbeat, if it was about $75-100 cheaper. :eek:

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Boing boing compared a netbook hackintosh to, wait for it....a 1.33 ghz g4 ibook with 3/4 gigs of ram.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/02/03/how-does-a-hackintos.html

I'd classify the results as a draw.

I've used a hackintoshed msi wind and lenovo ideapad. They're cool concept machines and give a little undeserved geek cred, but they're not as useful for everyday use (IMO) as a g4 ibook or powerbook, mainly due to their keyboards and tiny, postage stamp sized trackpads. If you want something small, light and expendable to pull up a webpage at a coffeeshop, sure.

If you're considering one, I'd strongly suggest you lay hands on one first.

6. nplima macrumors 6502a

I have been thinking of getting a netbook and for that purchase I am OS-agnostic... that said, I would most likely go for the Compaq, the 10" Dell or the Advent 4311 (MSI Wind) precisely because of the keyboard size.
    I would use them with a mouse instead of the trackpad as I do with any other computer.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

How does the keyboard on the dell 10" compare with the hp mini one?

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if you want portability and long battery life go for the eeePC1000HE, they can be had for $389 and the batteries are good for 7 - 9.5 hours depending on wi-fi, bluetooth and screen settings.

9. belvdr macrumors 603

The Atom processor has not impressed me one bit. The system will lag for a few seconds here and there if you try to multitask much. I'm not talking heavy apps either; simple web browsing tends to get the best of it.

10. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

I had a 1.4_ PPC iBook and a 1.6 netbook, and while there is definately something to be said for the form factor difference, the netbook is much snappier. Drop $15 on a single 2gb stick of ram and its worthy of most tasks. I've never had a problem with browsing,typing papers, and even streaming nonHD video from mini. Mind you, I hackintoshed mine but I couldn't have been happier. I never used the cd drive, and 1024x768 is not too much different from 1024x600.

11. aquajet macrumors 68020

Which model are you looking at? There are some that are well supported in the GNU/Linux world, so there's no need to choose between Windows and Hackintosh. The world is more diverse than that.

Click for more info about netbook compatibility with Ubuntu.

12. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

I was looking at the HP Mini 1000 XP Edition, mostly because I think it's the best looking netbook out of all of them, and I really like the way the trackpad buttons are on the side. (With the upgrades I want, it'll be $400.) Of course, I won't be buying until I try one out. (Which is another thing; anybody know where I can get a good feel for one of these things? Best Buy?)

I honestly haven't really thought about the hackintosh thing. I think I'd be happy with Windows, I've learned a lot about keeping it in shape since I switched to Mac.
    Now that's interesting. I have more to think about now. :eek:

13. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

There's a Sylvania netbook (MSI Wind clone) at Amazon for $300, and it comes with a 6-cell battery.

The MSI Wind is a great netbook to run OSX on, just search around for info, instructions, issues, etc.

14. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Cassie, another option would be picking up a real computer. :D

My netbook is a Dell Latitude. It's old and kind of big but it gets great battery life and has a nice keyboard and everything. The fact that it was basically free helps too.

Try picking up a Core Duo MacBook for that price.

15. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I second the Core Duo MacBook, if you can find one at a good price and squeeze it into your budget.

16. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I've been casually browsing netbooks as well and if I do get one I think I'd probably get the HP Mini 1000 too. As I was browsing I found that Amazon has one for $350 which seems like a pretty good deal. [My reading comprehension fails... I thought you were asking if anyone knew of a place where you could get a good deal. Heh... it's still relevant information I guess]

I think the problem with a Core Duo Macbook is that they tend to go for fairly high prices. Looking on eBay, they seem to go anywhere from $450-$600+. It's possible though that you could buy a broken one and try to fix it as the prices will be much lower but that's a bit of a gamble. Unless you find a good deal I think that's an expensive option.

17. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I think you should do this!

18. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Where could I find a MacBook for $400?

19. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Precisely.

20. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

eBay? The Marketplace here? Seriously. White 1.83GHz Core Duo.

21. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Have you checked prices recently? I just looked on eBay's completed listings and the cheapest working one I could find (recently) sold for ~$450. You can get broken ones for ~$250 but then there's no guarantee of them being repairable. You may have better luck elsewhere but it would have to be a really good deal.

Edit: Well while looking again there was one that sold for $360 + $20 shipping with a mediocre case, but any others were far from the price. I think it's rare to find one that low though, although evidently it's more possible than I thought.

22. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Well, there's a 2.2GHz white one on the local CL for $400 now.

Honestly, just wait two weeks and a good deal will likely come up. Just keep looking.

23. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

My iBook was $485 a year ago. I could probably find one of my model's for $400 now, but not a MacBook.

Upon inspection at eBay, there's a MacBook for $379...with a dead optical drive, a wiped hard drive, and no power adapter, and looks pretty beaten up. It's just not happening.

24. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

I would sell the ibook and get a netbook in a heartbeak. iBook is getting old like you said, it's beat up. NetBook is fresh and you can easily make it run os x and it'll perform just as well as far as performance goes. If you can live with a small screen and keyboard, do it.

25. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Portability is a key here. I'd like to start taking a laptop to school with me, and my backpack is heavy enough as it is with all my textbooks. Plus I would need a new battery for my iBook, as the one it has only lasts 30 minutes to an hour.