Sell MBP for a mini 2013, worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Ritte, Oct 1, 2013.

  1. Ritte macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    #1
    Hi,

    I have a macbook pro mid-2010 15".
    I've upgraded it to 8gb ram, 120gb SSD + 1TB HDD (opticaldrive).
    I'm using it as a desktop since I have a mba that is much more portable.
    I already have an 27" dell, apple wireless keyboard and an apple trackpad connected to the mbp.

    I'm using my computer for watching & streaming movies, some programing and using it for CAD & Matlab.

    I can sell my mbp and buy a mac mini (the new model, when it comes out) for the money.
    The only flaw in the mini is that it uses a iGPU and my mbp has an dGPU.
    What do you think about replacing my mbp for a mini?
     
  2. fa8362 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    #2
    I do all kinds of 2D graphic work on my 2012 with a Cintiq 22HD and a 24" monitor and it's terrific. I don't do 3D work though so I don't know how effective the integrated graphics would be for that.
     
  3. chrfr macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2009
    #3
    It's pretty much impossible to answer this as we don't know what the specs and configuration of any new Mini would be.
     
  4. Ritte thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    #4
    Let's just assume haswell cpu, iris 5200 and pci-e ssd.
     
  5. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

    ioannis2005gr

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2013
    Location:
    Europe
    #5
    ...along with wi-fi ac and 8GB RAM (owner upgradeable).

    Besides, Iris Pro graphics will be combined only with i7 Haswell processor (BTO version).
     
  6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

    philipma1957

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Howell, New Jersey
    #6
    get the 2013 mini if it has all that. also remember the ram is less necessary if you get the pcie ssd. page outs to a pcie ssd are 25x to 50x as fast as page outs to a 5400 rpm hdd.
     
  7. Ritte thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    #7
    Ritte

    Guys this should be a no brainer, right?
    For the money I get of selling my mbp I can upgrade:

    Dual-core 2.4ghz i5 (mbp 10) -> quad-core i7
    gt330m -> intel hd5000/5200 (let's assume 5000, even that is higher ranked than gt330m)
    2 USB 2 -> 4 USB 3
    Minidisplayport -> Thunderbolt + HDMI
    120gb SSD -> 256 GB PCIe SSD (?)
    Max ram 8gb 1066Mhz -> Max ram 16gb 1600Mhz
     
  8. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

    ioannis2005gr

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2013
    Location:
    Europe
    #8
    Assumptions correct! No question marks....maybe, it will be better than we expect....wait till end of Oct. 2013 ....:cool:
     
  9. philipma1957 macrumors 603

    philipma1957

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Howell, New Jersey
    #9
    yeah for the op it would be an easy choice . the only thing is when will the mini drop and what will really be inside of it.

    For me the choice is not as clear. I have 3 minis and 2 pcs . this could be the first time I don't buy a new mini for at least a few months. none of the minis I have are too slow for what I ask them to do and if i need really good graphics i use the pc as it has a hd7970
     
  10. Fishrrman macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #10
    [[ Sell MBP for a mini 2013, worth it? ]]

    There probably isn't going to BE a "Mini 2013".

    The Mini you buy now is the "late 2012" model.

    The _next_ Mini to be released with probably be in Jan/Feb 2014. It will have the Haswell CPU, improved graphics, DisplayPort 1.2, and perhaps a PCI-e drive connection. May also have two Thunderbolt ports and drop the existing firewire port, but this is uncertain right now.

    Whether you think it's worth selling the MBP for the current-generation Mini -- or waiting for the new release -- is up to you.

    Actually, why not keep the MBP and get a new Mini when it shows up? :)
     
  11. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

    ioannis2005gr

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2013
    Location:
    Europe
    #11

    Indeed, there are some important statistics by experienced MAC customers...

    However, technology and components are fresh + available....the only existing problem is the available quantities of components and days needed to build a min. amount of Mac Minis before the official launch...

    I hope late Oct.2013 is a valid date!

    PS: In my opinion, DP1.2 and TB2 won't be possibly included in the new Mac Mini regardless "when" it's going to be launched... On the other hand, PCI-e SSD is very likely to be added.
     
  12. Ritte, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

    Ritte thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    #12
    That would be optimal. But my MacBook Pro is working quite well and has a new logicboard too. By selling the mbp I can convince myself to buy the new mini (just for the benefit of the upgrades). But I really don't need them.
    It's hard for me to justify to buy a Mac mini when I have a i5 mbp 8gb ram SSD + 1TB HDD running perfectly well and it's hooked up to a 27" dell ultrasharp.

    I'm a student and although I can afford it I can't justify to buy another desktop when the one I have works well.
    I have a MBA for portable, so the mbp is solely a desktop.
     
  13. jg321 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #13
    Sell the MBP and the screen, then get a new iMac. Then you'll have the perfect combo IMO. For extra cash you can keep the old KB/mouse and sell the ones that come with the new iMac, netting you at least £50.

    I don't say this lightly, I've just done the same, although I didn't have the extra laptop to sell (if that makes sense!).
     

Share This Page