Sell me on a Wii U

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Cnasty, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

So I have a PS4, in the market for an XB1, and researching the Wii U.

I love gaming. I have nephews that come over a lot and play as well.

I honestly have zero clue what the Wii U is, what are the marquee games for the system, and what is that weird controller they have.

I want Nintendo experts to give me some background information on the best games, is it worth it to get a Wii U or is another console coming soon, anything major thing to know about the console?

I was a big Nintendo fan until Playstation came out but have always looked at Wii U as pure super fun with Mario games and such.

So help me out and if you own a Wii U, do you like it or recommend it? I saw a great bundle of Mario Kart 8 and the console for $329. (No clue how much a regular console is or what it was at launch).

2. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

Here's some reasons:

So the Wii U I believe has and will continue to have the best exclusive games in this generation and I also am starting to believe it has the best Nintendo games to make it to any Nintendo platform.

The PS4 is great to have because it is the box for all of those cross platform games and for the occasional exclusive Sony title like the Last of Us.

The normal price of the Wii U is $299 - it launched at $349 for that same deluxe system. Nintendo's refurbished store has that system for $199 and that is worth exploring as its a great deal.

The GamePad enables you to play 99% of your games entirely by itself like an awesome at home handheld. I do a bunch of that while watching a movie or for some morning or night gaming before bedtime.

The GamePad also makes navigation of the system so much better - it is great being in the game you want to be before you even have time to turn on the TV.

The GamePad shouldn't be thought of as a tablet, but as a controller with a screen. Sorta like a large Vita. It does look large, but it is very lightweight and very ergonomic with your hands spread out a comfortable distance.

There are great uses of that 2nd screen like in Wonderful 101, ZombiU and a whole bunch of other titles shown off at E3. Pikmin 3 was just updated with a new control scheme that is fantastic and uses the stylus in combination with the left side of the controller (L and Left joystick).

The online component is completely free and works really well in the games designed for it like Mario Kart 8 and the Call of Duty games. Miiverse is a strange, but fun community that I use when I get stuck in certain parts of games. You get fast responses from those playing the game. It is also an amazing place to see crazy awesome artwork.

Must have games for me so far: Lego City, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World, ZombiU, Wind Waker HD, Rayman Legends, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, NES Remix 1/2, and of course Mario Kart 8.

I also love Wii Fit U and Wii Sports Club, but that is not for everyone :)

Check out Splatoon for another reason coming next year ...

Let me know if you have any questions - it's shaping up to be a great must have system.

3. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

That is some great information there and thank you for taking the time to break it down.

I have never played any of the new Mario games but they look fantastic and have had great reviews. I guess my concern is all the negative press of the Wii U and they stop making titles for it until the next console and I am late to the party.

Mario Kart was kind of the pushing force for me to even consider it as I grew up with that game and it looks fantastic.

The Mario Kart bundle doesnt sound too bad.

4. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

Sure thing - yea the press is a bit harsh on the Wii U and well folks love to share doom and gloom stories.

The Wii U is a console that is purchased for first and second party games for sure - PS4 and XB1 are the box to get for all of those 3rd party titles.

Nintendo will continue to support the Wii U for many more years to come - my guess is they will follow their normal cycle with a good 4-5 years of quality games. They've said as much that they don't want to burn their customers by moving on too fast. You also get the exciting time in game development where Nintendo will be doing more and more crazy things to wow their current and future customers.

Also I forgot to mention the Pro Controller is really fantastic - it amazes me that the battery simply doesn't die - they will hold a charge for around a year and get a good 80 hours of constant use - really amazing especially compared to what PS4 and XB1 controllers get battery wise.

The MK8 bundle is really great - keep in mind that you also get a free digital copy of one of the other must have Wii U games

5. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Wow, didnt know you also get another game with MK8.

Thats a sweet deal!

Have there been any rumors of another price drop or that wont happen again until possibly holiday time?

6. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

I highly doubt they will do a price drop anytime soon - they did one last holiday and that is when I could possibly see that happen especially if PS4 or XB1 do a price drop that get it closer to the Wii U's price.

Mario Kart 8 is also selling like crazy - 1.2 million in its first weekend. Nintendo tends to increase the value of their hardware by doing these bundles that do in a way drop the price. A Smash Brothers bundle is expected this year when that hits.

Here is the free game promo:
    http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/mf9rjdcwmalxecxudpb0lf3n9jb2vtrt

Pikmin 3 is the best value being a $60 game still digitally and it has for me a lot of replay value - but WWHD and Mario are also really solid.

7. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

You are selling me just like I asked!

Great info and I may be a Wii U friend soon. :cool:

8. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

Good to hear :) - would love to do some Mario Kart 8 racing.

I started a Nintendo podcast a little over a year ago - check it out if you are into podcasts: iTunes Link

Or video versions on YouTube.com/tchaten

9. mamcx macrumors regular

Well, according to the folks (ie: comments) at http://www.kotaku.com, nintendo stole the show.

I'm not a gamer, rarely play one. But, is clear to me that nintendo host the most fun games around, in contrast with the grity/shotters/wars that is more the style on PS4/Xbox:

http://kotaku.com/a-handy-list-of-nintendos-big-e3-event-moments-1588800422

Mainly:

Zelda:

http://kotaku.com/the-new-zelda-is-open-world-looks-absolutely-incredibl-1588673841

Build your own mario:

http://kotaku.com/soon-youll-be-able-to-build-your-own-mario-levels-on-th-1588701196

A shooter, but fun!

http://kotaku.com/nintendos-making-a-new-8-player-multiplayer-shooter-cal-1588701635

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L54s2m1dPs

Too cute:

http://kotaku.com/cutest-yoshi-game-ever-1588723851

Weird games:

http://kotaku.com/watch-shigeru-miyamoto-show-off-his-weird-new-wii-u-ga-1588917844

In my mind:

XBox/PS4 = Simulations of...

Nintendo = Games

10. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Thats a great break down and kind of hit on what I miss about Nintendo.

They have had some of the more fun games in my gaming experience and I have heard nothing but good things about the new line of Nintendo games and especially MK8 and DK.

My wife is going to kill me. lol

11. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I was going to get one but going to wait until next year to get one.

12. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Main reason to own one is this ....

Yes it may be a companion console - but whilst it won't get those multi platform titles the big boys have, the fact is it does have amazing titles many of which have no direct comparison on either of the ps4 or xbox one. Making the gaming experience something different.

Besides if you don't buy it ... Ubisoft won't release their finished wii U titles. They are holding them back till it has a bigger install base.

14. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Me? Mainly because I played NSWMB (I had a wii u a year ago) and the only game I am really keen to play is MK8. I find the controller really turns the experience off for me (I'm probably alone in this). I'd prefer just a normal one!

15. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I dont know how to word but you did a perfect job of the exact reason I am considering it. I just had zero knowledge on the console besides the negative press I always hear about it.

The gaming on a Nintendo platform just feels so refreshing and just plain fun. Sometimes I just want to fire up a game and enjoy the actual fun experience of a Mario or DK game.

I havent owned a Nintendo console since the Wii and I rarely ever played it as that was for the family and visitors.

----------

Yes,sorry I didnt quote you.

I am with you as that is one of my main concerns as the controller looks more like a pain especially with the battery life than a feature. I have heard good things about the Pro controller though as it looks great and has great battery but then you lose some pieces of certain games with no second screen I guess I read.

16. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Thats ok :) I think it's a cool concept in theory but I just didn't really like the experience when I had one. I either want to look at a screen ahead of me or I look down, not both (like on a 3DS). Was kind of keen for a NSWB2 (ok its a bit early) or AC. Both of those games would entice me to get one. So as I mentioned, I am not entirely ruling out getting one just not at the moment. It would be nice if there was a price drop as well.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Same, actually. And given the choice I'd rather use the Pro controller.

However, I love being able to play games away from my TV when I want to, it's such a huge feature to me that I was a bit gutted that the Vita/PS4 connectivity wasn't as smooth (seems locked to 30fps and has lag, Wii U pad goes up to 60fps and has virtually no lag).

18. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I heard that about PS4/Vita. Bit sad. I still haven't decided on a console. I wish I could afford PS4 + Xbox one!

19. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I planned on getting an XB1 next but some of the things Ive seen and the info here may be steering me to a Wii U first and XB1 down the road.

The ability to play games smoothly via the pad away from the TV sounds exactly what I was hoping for when I got a Vita and the remote play PS4.

Unfortunately that was a very bad experience.

20. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I was hoping for that too. It's really disappointing to hear that it doesn't work well. Decided that Xbox one is going to be my next console. But going to see if I can snag one on ebay to save some $$$. Zelda is tempting but do think I am going to wait until next year or a package that tempts me.

21. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

On top of all of that the regular Wii-motes and classic controller work on the Wii U as well.

It's easy to plug in an external USB drive and set it up to store games on as well if you buy a lot of digital games.

The Wii U has a "Wii-mode" where it will boot up Wii disks and you can play the previous generation (Wii) of games (backwards compatibility).

The virtual shop is great for old Nintendo games as well as some other stuff.

Currently I'm playing Mario Kart 8, but so far have loved playing NSMBU, Super Mario 3D World, ZombieU, and Injustice Gods Among Us. I picked up Zelda Windwaker HD as my free game with the Mario Kart 8 deal but haven't played it much yet.

My kids love it as well. They are only 6 so the touch screen really helps them navigate through games and the menus. It's also great that if something is on TV they can still pick up the GamePad and play the WiiU without needing the TV. If my wife and I are watching something one of them will usually grab the WiiU gamepad and the other the 3DS.

Mario Kart and Super Mario 3D World have been great for all of us. We've had plenty of games with my kids, myself, and my wife racing or playing through Mario levels.

I got the WiiU back in February and it's the most fun I've had on a console since either the Wii release (with Wii Sports) or when the Xbox 360 first came out and online Xbox Live gaming was getting big.

22. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

I haven't seen much real bad mouthing from the official press, but some bloggers and fan boys have definitely been negative. (and as others have pointed out, some are saying Nintendo stole the show at E3 this year).

What everybody else has said is spot on...the games are a blast! Mario Kart is fantastic, and now is a great time to buy, as you have a several *great* games already out (Mario Kart, Super Mario 3D World, Zelda: Wind Waker, Lego City are my fave's) and 3-4 more great ones lined up for release over the next 6 or so months.

Nintendo is in it for the long haul; I'm expecting the life span of the system to be at least 5 years, so we are not even halfway through yet. You can also play your old Wii games and use your Wii controllers with it, so if you still have them, you are set.

If you could pick up a 32GB system on their refurb store, that would be quite a deal. With the money you saved, getting a Pro Controller would be a no-brainer. I like the gamepad, but would like to try Mario Kart with a pro controller.

Also, as others mentioned, if you buy Mario Kart now, you can get a free game, so now is a great time to buy. Good luck!

23. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

This has been some great feedback in here and good to hear from some other Nintendo lovers.

I think with this information you have restored my faith in Nintendo and the fun factor we look for in big consoles and with the MK8 bundle out I dont think I can pass up that deal as one of my favorite games of all time.

24. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I'll tell you, myself, I'm waiting for another price drop. a Wii U at $199 is a lot more appealing than it right now. I have a PS4 myself, but I can't really consider getting another console without it being cheaper. The X1, meh, the PS4 is a lot better on exclusives, honestly.

25. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

Just an FYI my BestBuy during the Smash Event had coupons to save $30 on any Wii U system - meaning that Mario Kart 8 bundle is only $300 if you pick that up - you should be able to just walk in and grab the coupon if you don't have time to wait in the Smash line on Saturday (smash was a lot of fun - Villager FTW).

$199 or bust? - the PS3 and Xbox 360 are still $200 what makes you think that Nintendo's NextGen - now current gen system is going to drop to what last gen consoles are going for?

Also: Nintendo has that price option for you on their online store - $199 for a Deluxe Wii U with Nintendo Land that includes the Deluxe Digital promotion. Price is not really an obstacle - they have bundles for those that want that and they have great prices on refurbs :)