Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derekuda

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 2, 2004
As a former iPhone user, I switched to Android about 2 years ago. Every now and again I get the itch to switch back, but when I look at phones in the apple store, it looks as if not much has changed.
So please sell me on iPhone. What's new in ios9 and what have I been missing on.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
The biggest thing that Apple has going for it is if you are in the Apple Ecosystem and are already invested in Apple products than they work great together. Aside from that, the stability consistency is where Apple shines.

Not much has changed in the past couple of years. I'm currently using an S6 and waiting to see what the iPhone 6s will bring. Can't imagine it will live up to my favorite features on my current device.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Your original post was phrased in such a way (and in a perceived tone of voice) it sounded as if you wanted us to convince you to make your own decision.

If you were looking for our personal opinions that's an entirely different matter.

Jailbreaking is still very popular…if that tells you anything about iOS 7, 8 and 9.

Last edited by a moderator:

Derekuda

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 2, 2004
The biggest thing that Apple has going for it is if you are in the Apple Ecosystem and are already invested in Apple products than they work great together. Aside from that, the stability consistency is where Apple shines.

Not much has changed in the past couple of years. I'm currently using an S6 and waiting to see what the iPhone 6s will bring. Can't imagine it will live up to my favorite features on my current device.
I use to be bigger into the apple Ecosystem. But then my college didn't support macs so I switched back to Pc. Still have an ipod. And like I said, had iPhone for a couple of gens. My biggest thing I liked was how simple the iPhone is. I'm naturally a tech guy, but I never felt like a phone should be over complicated.

Derekuda

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 2, 2004
Your original post was phrased in such a way (and in a perceived tone of voice) it sounded as if you wanted us to convince you to make your own decision.

If you were looking for our personal opinions that's an entirely different matter.

Jailbreaking is still very popular…if that tells you anything about iOS 7, 8 and 9.
Oh, no. That's not my intention at all. I recently went to an apple store to get my ipod fixed and started messing with the phones and started getting the itch for one. It's just I've been out of the iPhone loop for a while.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Oh, no. That's not my intention at all. I recently went to an apple store to get my ipod fixed and started messing with the phones and started getting the itch for one. It's just I've been out of the iPhone loop for a while.
In my personal opinion, things have gone downhill since iOS 6. Granted there have been feature improvements in iOS 7/8, some of them borrowed from jailbreak devs but I hate the GUI now. It's a fruit cornucopia of primary preschool colors and it's so flat it's sometimes hard to figure out where a button is.

I have the iPhone 6+, but I am not fond of Space Gray and I still hate how the antenna bands and the camera look.

All of that said, Apple is still Apple so things still work - for the most part. For the rest, I have my jailbreak.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
My Iphone 5s was my first smartphone. I had originally intended to get an android system phone, but the 5s was more the size that I was looking for, and our service provider had a good price on them at the time. Took me a little while to adjust, and there are a few things about ITunes that is awkward, but I have become quite pleased with it, and have every intention of buying another Iphone when the time comes. I have installed each update as they have become available, currently on IOS 8.4 and have had no real issues with any upgrades. Hope these comments were helpful.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
In my personal opinion, things have gone downhill since iOS 6. Granted there have been feature improvements in iOS 7/8, some of them borrowed from jailbreak devs but I hate the GUI now. It's a fruit cornucopia of primary preschool colors and it's so flat it's sometimes hard to figure out where a button is.

I have the iPhone 6+, but I am not fond of Space Gray and I still hate how the antenna bands and the camera look.

All of that said, Apple is still Apple so things still work - for the most part. For the rest, I have my jailbreak.

Te iPhone is different than other phones in one fundamental way: iOS. It is updated straight from Apple, while for the most part other phone OSs must come first from Google/BB/Microsoft by way of the manufacturer and then the carrier before it gets to you - which mostly, it doesn't. You are more likely to get market-current features. And, there's a good case that IOS is more secure, because Apple can address issues directly with consumers. I think have phones have some advantages over iPhones, but not these..

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Te iPhone is different than other phones in one fundamental way: iOS. It is updated straight from Apple, while for the most part other phone OSs must come first from Google/BB/Microsoft by way of the manufacturer and then the carrier before it gets to you - which mostly, it doesn't. You are more likely to get market-current features. And, there's a good case that IOS is more secure, because Apple can address issues directly with consumers. I think have phones have some advantages over iPhones, but not these..
I agree.

But my point wasn't so much security or updates, but rather the look of iOS and the functionality. I much prefer to have a dark OS with most of the color gone as well as other adjustments Apple won't let me make when I'm stock.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
With regards to the darker OS, other than accessibility's greyscale the fabled "dark mode" has been long sought after. Possibly a future update, but I would not hold your breathe. After using it for so long and discovering what a wonderful and seamless operating system you can have from your pocket to your computer, watch and tablets iOS becomes the obvious choice. Through things like 'handoff' that I use all the time and seen as the Air 2 now supports split screen and the screen sizes of the 6 and 6 Plus I do not see much to not like. Oh and the Touch iD is functional, which is always a bonus. Hope this helps.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

If you have to be convinced by others to by an iPhone, you probably should not get one. You have only been gone for a couple of years and Apple does not make huge changes so you likely know what is happening.

Reactions: Applejuiced

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
With regards to the darker OS, other than accessibility's greyscale the fabled "dark mode" has been long sought after. Possibly a future update, but I would not hold your breathe. After using it for so long and discovering what a wonderful and seamless operating system you can have from your pocket to your computer, watch and tablets iOS becomes the obvious choice. Through things like 'handoff' that I use all the time and seen as the Air 2 now supports split screen and the screen sizes of the 6 and 6 Plus I do not see much to not like. Oh and the Touch iD is functional, which is always a bonus. Hope this helps.
There is a difference between dark mode and using jailbreak tweaks such as Monochrome, Color Profiles and Eclipse 2. Apple would never allow what I've done (attached).

As to things like "handoff" and so on, I know you are speaking in general and in general that's a great feature for most people. But I only own one Intel Mac and it uses Snow Leopard. Everything else I own is a PowerPC Mac, so while this feature is great for those who use it, it's irrelevant to me. And so is Air Drop for that matter - for the same reasons. Neither of these are enough to drive me to a modern Mac.

2015-07-07 06.26.22.png 2015-07-07 06.26.35.png

Last edited:
Reactions: geoff5093

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I always find these threads ridiculous. "Sell me on...." "Convince me..." etc. No-one cares what you use, no one has a vested interest in your decision. Get what you like, what works best for you. Asking for advice on a purely personal decision from strangers on the web is nonsensical. Just my $.02.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I always find these threads ridiculous. "Sell me on...." "Convince me..." etc. No-one cares what you use, no one has a vested interest in your decision. Get what you like, what works best for you. Asking for advice on a purely personal decision from strangers on the web is nonsensical. Just my $.02.
Not really, often times for someone on the fence about 2 decision, talking it over with people, hearing their thoughts, etc. can sway a person one way or another.

Reactions: bhayes444

AreanFSL

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007

Well said.

Reactions: ABC5S

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Reactions: ABC5S

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
So one would let perfect strangers make choices for themselves?

Not me, I was raised differently and I would not even consider asking someone else how to spend my money.
The OP is asking for real world experience not some writer's opinions. That is what the boards like this are for. Get off your soap box Newtons Apple.
A simple Google search could have brought you this answer.

Also, the fact that you had to ask this question leads me to believe that you would remain skeptical despite the 2-year change of iOS and iPhone.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios9-preview/

http://www.apple.com/ipad-air-2/

http://www.apple.com/ios/

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
My gosh some of the responses in this thread are ridiculous. The guys just asking for your personal opinions.

Anyway, in my experience being someone who switches back-and-forth, I generally am happier with my iPhone. Everything just seems much simpler and I get to where I need to go with much less clicks. Also I've really become invested in Safari and it's reading list option. And with the new update to the music app, I wouldn't really want to use any other music app out there.

The only thing I miss from android is the customization options. I wish iPhone would get live wallpaper options. But in the end I still always go back to iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.