Sell me on MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by PBz, Sep 4, 2017.

1. PBz macrumors 6502a

I am in camp that has had multiple issues with the new keyboard. With that said I am considering 2015 MacBook Pro 13" and also a 2017 MacBook Air. These with supplement and iMac at home for main video and photo editing.

For about the same price will be the reason to go with the MacBook Air?

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

It's really a personal choice. Can you visit a store and try both? Also, have a look at this: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...2-macbook-to-999.2059453/page-7#post-24959500

I haven't used a computer with the new style keyboards, but I really like the MBA keyboard (I'm a fast touch typist). Started with a. 2011 13" MBA and upgraded to a 2013 11"i7 8gb/512gb MBA. Still love it with no plans to upgrade. It handles Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro just fine, but of course renders much slower than my quad core mini server.

3. PBz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can visit a store and I am familiar with that thread. I am in this boat as I had issues & multiple repairs of the new MBP keyboard, 2016 & 2017 (issues w/ 2017.. returned before repairs).

I am in the MBA forum because of Capt. I was all about 15" for all my needs but now I'm considering iMac for real photo/video editing and MBA for on the go duties. If the MBA had better display I'd likely have already pulled the trigger on MBA. I love the MBA keyboard & loathe the Butterfly keyboard.

4. Falhófnir macrumors 6502

Falhófnir

Well, if you want a brand new machine they don't sell the 13" 2015 pros any longer, only models with the old keyboard that can be bought new now are the 2015 MBA 13 and MBP 15. If that's not an issue probably best to go for a refurb 13" pro, it's more or less an air but fractionally heavier with a tad more power and a better screen.

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

At some point the Air will be discounted, the Pro will likely be updated again. The Air will be a classic that will hold its value as a collectible.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

7. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

FYI...My new Air is great. I got the i7 with 512GB SSD and people really don't realize how capable these things are. I'm editing Nikon files with no issues connected to the Dell 4K monitor. This is what I was doing with the 2016 15" MBP before I returned it due to the defective keyboard. Yeah, I would like it better with a retina, but until Apple sorts those keyboards out, this is the ONLY Apple portable I can consider.

As you know I also ordered the iMac 27" 5K with i7, 2TB Fusion and 8GB 580 graphics. Picked up an extra 16GB ram for it. I think I'll be good.

If a year goes by and Apple gets the MBP sorted out, I'll upgrade.

R.

8. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

I'm usually a proponent of the MBA 13", but seeing your main usage is video & photography, your eyes will be pissed off at the screen. If like me, you place more importance on weight, keyboard quality & battery life, then the MBA is it.

You no longer have the choice to buy a new 2015 MBP 13" only the 15" are still for sale.
    Refurb'd 13" MBPs are also getting rarer.

I agree with BornAgainMac, the Air is a classic and will be a collectible down the road.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar price curve akin to when the iPod Classic was discontinued.
    Already the refurb'd 13" MBPs are snapped up by butterfly-keyboard opponents and once the Air is retired (sooner than later), the Air will gain status.

Also, one of the last iconic devices intro'd by Jobs.

No one can make the choice for you. We all wish, the 2017 iteration of the MBA had at least a 1080p IPS display, but only received a minor speed bump to 1.8Ghz.

9. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

At the same price i'd take the 2015 Macbook Pro 13".

The screen on the Macbook Air was pretty crap in 2011, in 2017 it's junk.

If you don't care about the screen, go nuts, but at least compare it side by side against any IPS panel (even a non-retina Macbook Pro screen from 2010 onwards) before you make the call.

10. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

11. KUKitch macrumors 6502

KUKitch

It was amazing when it launched, but it doesn't hold up that well for me anymore - especially the monitor and surrounding bezel... it's just dated

12. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Always surprises me how some people fixate on the bezel. So what? I look at the screen, not the bezel, and I don't need to make a fashion statement with my laptop.

Now if the point is that you could get a larger screen in the same space, I get that. But just the look of the bezel? Doesn't bother me in the least. In fact, I've grown pretty fond of it. :)

13. newellj macrumors 601

I was going to say the same. I love the MBA FF, but for photo and video editing the display panels don't cut it. Depending on exactly what you need and what your standards need to be, you may feel differently, but you should look at that issue carefully before you decide.

I also agree with those who posted above that they find the new keyboards unusable. I have no idea where I'm going when my early 2015 MBP needs replacement.

14. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

Indeed. hopefully by that time, Apple would improve those noisy-low-travel keyboards. Chances are, keyboards will go away and AR/VR kit will enable iPads to read keystrokes from a projected keyboard on a table.

For me personally, I'm not a gamer nor do I have high CPU/GPU demands, the current MBA will last me for many years and if it breaks after warranty, there'll be plenty of spare parts available on the market.

15. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Nah, really it wasn't even amazing when it launched.

The screen was "OK" or "good for a TN panel" when it launched. But even the pre 2010 macbook pro screens were way better in every way other than raw pixel density. (i.e., viewing angles, colour accuracy, etc.).

Heck, even the ipad 1 display was better.

16. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

The reasons I can think of to favour the 2017 Air over a 2015 MacBook Pro 13" would be:

• Lightness
    • Nostalgia over the older design and display

It seems amazing to call those "older" – a reminder of the luxuriance of recent years. But if it's to supplement video and photo editing, I imagine you'd feel way more sporadic bursts of satisfaction over the years from the performance and fine display of the Pro.

17. KUKitch macrumors 6502

KUKitch

Well I was more talking about the total package itself

18. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Ah fair enough. yeah the package itself was pretty cutting edge...

19. Falhófnir macrumors 6502

Falhófnir

I agree, the MBA is still fine for general use, and you could probably make an argument it's the best option for most people who don't know/ wouldn't care about the difference in the display, but for any activity which can benefit from the IPS/ higher pixel density of the Retina display, the 13" pro is just a no brainier. Especially starting at £889 in the refurb store (less than a new base MBA) - I assume it's the same in the US.

20. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

The Air (I now own two) has really one weakness and that's the screen.

But let's put this in perspective:

I put the air side by side with the 13" touch bar screen, mainly to show my wife the difference. For me, a photographer, the difference was pretty obvious. But her reaction was more along the lines of "So what? The Air screen is just fine."

And that it is. I use mine for film work. It replaced the 15" touchbar, which is a useless machine until the keyboard defects are resolved. I have no big grip with the screen, except I know that there are better ones. The Air keyboard is a real workhorse and the design of the Air is STILL ergonomically the best of all of the Macs for me.

I have the i7 with 512gb and it's surprisingly able. As I posted earlier, I can handle some serious photo work with it (connected to my 4K monitor) until my new 5K 27" iMac ships. At this point the Air is the ONLY viable Mac laptop and I'm happy to be using it again. It really remains as one of the best-ever laptop designs.

R.

21. kave macrumors regular

I have been using my 11" Air Mid 2013 since new. In between I have tried a 15" MBP TB for 6 months but I returned to the 11" Air.
    To me portability is king, and the added bonus of just plugging everything in without clunky adapters is a bonus.
    I think the Air is a true classic, the display viewed from a distance is not bad at all except resolution.
    The price of the touchbar 13" MacBook Pro is a bit high for what you get, unless you just want the latest stuff. Here in Sweden price difference is 500$ for 13" Air with 256GB vs MacBook Pro with two ports and 256GB.

22. Pugly macrumors regular

An air is great. While it sits in the low rung in Apple's lineup, it's a lot more powerful than one word expect and has features that make it better than all the other macs while still being affordable. Apple needs to keep it intentionally hindered, because if they made it have a better screen and updated design there really wouldn't be a need for any other laptop.

Of course this could be said a couple years ago, now Apple is pushing forward with its new designs and the MBA looks even worse. But in all the change what the air keeps around makes it nessicary. Need USB type A ports? Need MagSafe? Need the regular keyboard? Need the longest battery life? Need an sd card slot? These features keep the air a viable computer, despite its aging design and screen.

Of course lots of these things are found on the old retina 13" Pro. Which has always been a tough choice, and comes down to screen vs battery life basically.

23. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

Exactly. I was just forced to get rid of TWO touchbar MBP units with failing keyboards. Apple was 100% open (on 4 separate occasions) about the butterfly keyboard issues. No denial whatsoever, though I was told that they have no clear path as to what will be done for existing customers.

Bottom line: The Air is the only CURRENT laptop that I can trust. When the keyboard issues are resolved, I'll likely trade up from one of my Airs again. Until then I'll use my Air/iMac combo to get my work done.

Potential buyers need to heed the many posts about keyboard issues. You will not get "lucky." The keyboards cannot handle debris and dirt, so it may take some time, but it's highly likely you will be effected in time. I ignored people telling me this and both of my machines were effected and returned. Apple finally gave me a full refund and I bought the iMac and Air...So I actually had to spend MORE money!

The Air is the best Mac laptop for the moment that you can buy new. The screen was considered very nice a few years ago. Better screens don't make it less nice. People tend to have poor perspective as they are trained by the market to want "better" which often doesn't help them beyond spending more money.

R.

24. Rocko99991 macrumors regular

Rocko99991

Why do you need us to sell you? Get MBA and MBP keep for a week, return the one you don't like.

25. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

That's not great advice.

The new MBP is a stunning machine. My 13" and 15" touchbar units are the best laptops I've ever used. They will not compare and the Air will seem inferior.

In the beginning that is!

But the butterfly keyboard is not a small problem. As I posted in the MBP forum, my friend ordered a LOT of the new machines for the Board of Ed in NY. A third have keyboard failures after just 4 months.

Look, the keyboard failures are a lot like global warming. It's no fun believing in it...until a big storm washes your whole state away. I was one of the folks who ignored peoples warnings about the keyboards. I actually went back to that forum and apologized to those folks! Don't make the same mistake I made. Wait until Apple resolves the keyboard issue. If you MUST have a new laptop, get the Air. You can always sell for good money and upgrade later.

My i7 based Air is VERY capable. I even completed a photo editing job on it!

R