Sell my brand new 3.2 8-Core?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vogelhausdesign, Mar 6, 2009.

1. vogelhausdesign macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

Hey everyone I need some advice on selling my mac pro.

It's practically brand new, as its only 23 days old. I need to know what's the best way to sell it? I feel people are asking too much on eBay, and I don't want to rip anyone off but I did pay a lot of money for it recently. Its on Craigslist right now but I think people in Columbus, Ohio aren't in the market

The Specs I'm selling it at are as follows;

Processor: (2)x 3.2GB Xeon (8-Core)
    RAM: 16GB Fully Buffered 800MHz w/ Large Heat Reduction
    Hard Drive: 1TB WD 7,200 RPM 32MB Buffer
    Disk Drive: (2)x 16x Super Drives (Combo CD+R/W/DV+R/W)
    Graphics: nVidia G-Force 8800 512MB Video Card (2)DVI Port Connection
    Airport WiFi Card installed.

COMES WITH:
    + Apple Mighty Mouse/Keyboard
    + Apple Airport Wi-Fi Installed
    + Apple Care Full Service Warranty Till' (2012)

++Opened exactly 23 Days ago, never abused, properly cleaned weekly, Optimized via Tech Tools 5.

++Quality Assurance, Benchmark Results, Tech-Tools Optimization 100% Functionality Performance Results are included. Operated by Professional users only.

Are their other ways to sell this machine that I'm not aware of? Am I asking too much? Should I dumb down the specs and sell it bare bones?

I really need everyones help on this.. thanks so much guys. :apple:

//to mods. I want to make it clear this is not an ad to sell my machine on MacRumors. I just need advice on the best way to sell. Thank you.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Craigslist.

List Ram separately.

If no buyers, then you are asking too much, or your posting isn't made in a desirable format.

Does it have original box? original disks, etc?

Typically when new products are released, there is much lower interest in the previous generation product. However the demand often rebound.

3. vogelhausdesign thread starter macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

Original Box, it's in the box right now. Original Disks, everything else...

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

5. vogelhausdesign thread starter macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

So, I thought people were scared to buy these on eBay.. and shipping is insane..

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

+1 for eBay.

Set it up for bidding, and use your minimum acceptable amount as the reserve if you wish to try and get more. ;)

However, I'd wait for benchmarks before selling it, so you don't have any remorse. ;)

7. Morriss macrumors member

Can you return it? I don't know Apple's return policy or if there is a restocking fee. If you plan on getting the new MP's, maybe you can trade up. Talk to a store manager at an Apple store and maybe they can negotiate a good deal for you. I'm assuming that this MP was purchased 23 days ago.

8. vogelhausdesign thread starter macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

It's 14 Days , 10% restocking fee.. However, I do business with Apple and their Small Business team.. Maybe I can write an Email.

9. Morriss macrumors member

Wow, only 14 days. I would of thought 30 days would be more fair. Yes, it can't hurt to ask. Also, try to get to the highest person in the chain of command at Apple sales. If you ask nicely, they sometimes go out of their way to help you.

10. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

11. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

Why are you selling it? do you want to get the new Mac Pro why? Your Mac pro is fine, but yea there's no restocking fee if you do a even exchange for the same product I think but don't know for sure

12. m1stake macrumors 68000

Just sweet talk them a little. You weren't expecting a new model, you're a valued business customer, woe is you, etc. :)

Depending on what you want to replace it, you might want to wait for bench marks. But if you're looking at the 2.66 dual quad or above, go right ahead.

13. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

If you're worried about it selling for too high on ebay, for whatever reason, can't you just set a buy it now price at whatever price you think is fair?
    If it's below what most 3.2 octos are selling on ebay I can't see you having a problem getting rid of it.

14. Fomaphone macrumors regular

if you can't trade up through apple, maybe you should consider selling your RAM to OWC for credit toward 16gb or 32gb from OWC

15. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

With the new Mac Pros out, you're asking way too much. Sorry to be so candid. Ebay is an excellent gauge of what people will pay and currently it looks like yours (and my) machine is worth (selling for) about half that:( I was curious myself and just looked at ebay before I saw your thread. Looks like the machines on ebay getting bids in the 3.2 class are going for about 22-2400 bucks. Again, the units with real bids on them. There are plenty with "Buy it now" options that are much higher (with no bids).
    If you are ready for the new one already, see what the local Mac shop (or Apple.com) will do for you on trade in. That's going to be the only way to recoup your money. Even with a 10% hit, you're ahead. There's a new machine out. You can't get more for yours than a new one will cost with Better options;) Seriously. One can shop at OWC for the RAM and HDD.

Good Luck though

Jer

16. vogelhausdesign thread starter macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

Excellent Idea.. I think i'm going to do that right now.

So , I DID get to return my Mac Pro and I ended up buying a new 8Core last night, they charged me 10% restocking fee but it's all good, I'm not the whining type. So here's the specs I went with; for my new build

2x 2.66
    250gig solid state boot
    3tb raid1 storage
    16gigs ram
    1 optical drive
    2x 4870's sync
    warranty

I paid only 470 out of pocket for the upgrade, even after the restocking fee

17. vogelhausdesign thread starter macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

yea.. let's hope it's faster than my 8core 3.2.. If it's not me and apple are going to brawl..

What do you guys think? Good move?

18. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I think it was a good move, even if you don't see a huge performance difference today (which I still think you will). In the future, i'm sure it will prove to be a good move.

19. andrewsd macrumors 6502

Same as a cell phone.. They say you have 14 but you really have thirty. Someone just the other day posted a thread very similar to this. They were able to return their macbook past day 14 but before day 30.

20. vogelhausdesign thread starter macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

In my case, it actually turned out to be 34 Days. I think Apple's business team in the stores has enough sense to know if someone is going to come into their store and walk out with multiple high end machines, they're going to expect a little different treatment than someone buying an iPod.

So, in the case of the Mac Pro, I think they're willing to go a little further and bend the rules, as with any medium to high dollar sale at most any reputable retailer.

So anyways, any word on benchmarking yet for these systems? I don't really like looking at hackintosh or Windows i7 benches for this cpu, don't really think that means much since it's an entirely different machine.

I hope to see a 40% + Improvement in performance in the 8core 2.66 over my 3.2 octo.

But here is the upside, since i did extensive benchmarking on my own with different components, once my new machine comes in I can provide my own real world data to everyone here...

Anyone want to cheer me up and tell me I just got a beastly computer ? :) I'm so nervous it's not going to be any faster than my old 3.2 Harper

21. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

these nehalem processors are supposed to be beasts. 40% is HUGE, so I don't know if you'll see that, but I think he'll notice a discernable difference. I think you'll love it.

22. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

That would be a 68% increase clock for clock of Nehalem over a Penryn system. I think you are being a little optimistic there if you are talking general use.

23. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

There is a restocking fee for exchanges to, as long as the items been opened.

I would try craigslist most of the time there are very few people selling high end mac pros on craigslist as to eBay and not to mention you won't have to pay shipping and the final value fee from selling over 3k would kill you.

And there are alot of local professionals on the look out on craigslist for these types of machines. As for selling ram separately don't do it package them together it's just easier and make your mac pro much more desireable.

Might have been true maybe a year ago for selling the ram separately but now it's gotten so cheap it's not worth it and helps move your machine fast.

24. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Sorry didn't see this post. You were very lucky that well after the 14 day return policy that you got to pay the regular restocking fee for the exchange. Saved yourself a lot more money than you think.

25. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

why didn't you opt for the 2.93GHz, on the Apple site they where comparing the 2.93GHz to the 3.2Ghz