Sell my iPad or keep for "collection"?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by louis0nfire, Mar 9, 2011.

1. louis0nfire macrumors 6502

I can get $300 for my 16gb Wi-Fi iPad. The only thing holding me back is that I kind of wanted to keep it for collection. I know 10 years from now it will be cool to still have an original iPad. But I can also argue that 10 years from now I could just buy another one for probably less than $300. What do you think? Am I being silly for passing up the $300?

2. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Only you can answer this question. Why not put the $300 towards your new iPad? Donate the iPad to a school or daycare? Even if times are good and $300 is a drop in the bucket, I can think of better uses for it than withering away as an old iPad stuck in a drawer somewhere. But that is just me. YMMV

To whom, exactly? :confused: These aren't exactly colletor's items and I am sure all the kids will have new gadgets that are much cooler at that time than an old dinosaur of an iPad. Again, just MHO.

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

What I do, let someone use it in my family for free. Then I can get it back whenever I want. I do this with all my iPhones as well.

4. nmills macrumors regular

To him, I assume.

I think it's not a bad idea. But I think Dyna's idea about donating is an AWESOME idea! :D

5. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, isn't the original 1st gen iPod worth a decent buck now? I mean, the first iPod, first iPhone, first iPad... just seems like they'd be worth something someday.

6. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Yeah, I hope my post did not come off as gruff. Until recently I had a TRS-80 and Sinclaire computer in my basement. Boxes of old PC computer parts collected over the years are still around. None of them seem cool to me as technology moves forward :( Now, the new iPad, MB Air, THEY IS cool and where I am looking :D I say let someone who has use for a perfectly functional iPad have it rather than framing it or something.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Do you happen to also know what the winning PowerBall numbers will be 10 years from now, Carnac the Magnificent?

If you need the money then sell it. Pass it on to a family member. Or keep it for your "collection."

8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Unless it gets lost / stolen / dropped / jailbroken and bricked / upgraded to a version of iOS that it really struggles with / battery wears out through daily use for xx years.

Still, I think it's better to see them being used, especially by family, rather than kept on a shelf all sad and lonely. The design museums have already bought hundreds of copies for their collections.

[just a bit sad that my original iphone 2G got stolen last summer. I suppose I could buy one pretty cheap second hand now if I really wanted one]

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

1st gen iPod is valuable/rare because they didn't make over 15 MILLION of them.:eek: The iPad will never be rare or valuable in our lifetime because of the high numbers produced unless you have an unopened one.

10. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that's true. Guess I'll just sell it then!

11. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Whoever has it takes full responsibility for anything that happens to it. I let them know that they absolutely must keep the screen protector and no jailbreaking. Also that I still own the device and everything and can take it back whenever I want.

12. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

I have two Newtons that I purchased new and my children get a kick out of playing with them.

'Egg Freckles' :D

13. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

You'd probably be able to buy another iPad pretty easily in 10 years. Not really a "rare" item. If you are definitely getting iPad 2, I would take the money from the iPad to go towards the purchase of iPad 2.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If money isn't an issue, keep it as upgrade insurance. Next February sell your iPad2 when resale prices are still high and go back to using your 1.

15. alt macrumors regular

The apple 1 is a POS but its worth a sh$$ ton of money.

16. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

In 10 years your iPad will not turn on at all. The battery would have gone to that great lithium graveyard in the sky.

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have my first Mac SE/20. I could have sold it in 1990 for $1000. I kept it. It's worth all of $10 today. I would have been smarter to take the $1000 and then rebuy @ $10 -- except I wouldn't. It's clutter I wish I didn't have but have to much invested in to toss it.

So question is really what $300 is worth to you. To me that seems like a lot of money for sentimentality. I wish I had that $1000, I'll tell you that.

Thank Gd I sold Newton for good money.

18. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The difference is, there were few of the rare Apple 1's when they were new. There are millions of iPad 1's...doubt they will ever be valuable collectors items.

19. nmills macrumors regular

No, I didn't think so. ;)

20. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

I still have my 1st gen iPod and 1st gen iPhone... not to mention my original computer (a Mac Plus 512k.) I'll be keeping my iPad 1st gen as well. For the moment it'll go to my lady, but once she's done with it I'll add it to my "collection" of vintage Apple hardware.

21. baummer macrumors 6502a

I don't think having legacy Apple products has the allure it once did. Given that over the past 10 years Apple's market share across the board has increased and they are selling more products now than ever suggests there will be a surplus of old Apple technology floating out here. But if it's sentimental to you, then by all means keep it. My sister-in-law still has her first-generation iPod, and it's a fairly useless device given it's small storage space and large, bulky form factor. It's collecting dust in their storage and she's keeping it for sentimental value.

22. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Having an original iPad won't be like having an original iPod or even an original iPhone was. I mean, come on, they sold over 15 million of the buggers in just 2010 alone. I'm not sure that they'll be anything overly special for some time now, and even then, only if they're in absolutely perfect condition. I plan on continuing to use the snot out of mine for the foreseeable future :)

Granted, they do occasionally make a short-lived, rather unique product. There's a reason I still have my 4GB, only-sold-for-two-months iPhone around ;)

23. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

+1, My mom gets my iPad Friday. I even went out and got her the apple case to try to keep it safe until i take it back one day.

24. AlwaysWhisper macrumors newbie

Sell it and invest in an iPad 2 with a higher capacity.

25. Penooker macrumors member

Yep. Original iPad's will not be rare in 10 years. As a point of reference, the Apple Newton, a geek-gasm, is available on eBay for under $70, and that's for a > 15 year old device.

So, go sell your iPad and invest the money (even with TIPS), and buy the original iPad in 15 years. Use the rest to buy a flying car.