Sell Now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LePigeonBleu, Feb 23, 2011.


When do I sell it?

  1. Sell it now

    33 vote(s)
  2. Sell it March 2nd or Later

    16 vote(s)
  1. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

    Jul 11, 2008
    San Diego

    So, with the announcement of March 2nd for the iPad event, should I go ahead and list my 32GB Wi-Fi iPad on eBay *NOW* or wait until I hear something about it first? I typically am an early adopter of Apple items, so I will be getting it... I'm just wondering when to put it up for auction/sale.


  2. aaps59 macrumors regular


    Jan 19, 2010
    Sell now, Im stuck trying to sell my MBP now...
  3. deeddawg, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

    deeddawg macrumors 604

    Jun 14, 2010
    It's possible you might get more for it now rather than waiting; depends on several factors such as:
    • How many others will be selling theirs now (temporarily flooding the market and depressing prices)
    • How big an upgrade the 2nd gen is (affecting how many sell after the announcement)
    • What sort of price/capacity offerings Apple has (will same capacity be cheaper?)

    Now factor that against the value to you of being without your ipad between now and when you can acquire the new version. If you barely use it, then perhaps little impact (but then a big question of why bother upgrading?); if it's a big part of your daily life, there may be a lot of value to retaining it for now and selling later.

    There's probably a bunch of other stuff I'm not thinking of as well.

    The only real datapoint I can offer is that I bought a used iphone 3gs right after the iphone4 announcement; I was coming over from Blackberry land and wanted to see how iphone world was before committing to a contract upgrade. After a couple months I decided to go with the iphone4 (the screen got me) and resold the 3gs for what I paid. I got all my money back out of it since I bought/sold using craigslist and had no transaction fees. YMMV of course.

    At the end of the day, this is a decision you will need to make for yourself.
  4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604


    Aug 28, 2007
    San Francisco California, USA
    Definitely waiting until March 2nd, since I have no idea what the new iPad 2 will bring to the table. Also, I might end up keeping my 32GB WiFi/3G and buy the iPad 2, this way I'll have TWO iPads...:cool:
  5. MrWillie macrumors 65816


    Apr 29, 2010
    Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
    I would have voted for don't sell, if it were available.
  6. rburly macrumors 6502a


    Jan 15, 2009
    If that's the case, sell it now.
  7. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

    Jun 20, 2010
    Heya, SELL IT NOW.

    You know will be happier once you have got rid of it and know that your next one will be an iPad 2. Was it really worth a thread? :rolleyes:
  8. kuebby macrumors 68000


    Jan 18, 2007
    If you're going to buy the new iPad regardless of what changes are made then by all means sell now! There's no question that current iPads will be worth less when the new ones come out, so if you're buying what anyone then you may as well the slight boost of selling it before March 2nd (and before the market is flooded right afterwards).
  9. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

    Jun 20, 2010
    He is selling regardless... :rolleyes:
  10. Reach9 macrumors 68020


    Aug 17, 2010
    In America
    Should've sold it a few weeks ago, but yeah, if you want the most return then sell it ASAP.
  11. djransom macrumors 68040


    May 14, 2008
    If I do decide to get the iPad 2 I'll give the current iPad to my fiance since she loves it.
  12. vincenz macrumors 601


    Oct 20, 2008
    I think youre just looking for more people to say yes ;)

    Sell now if you're in the market for a new one. The closer to a refresh, the more prices will drop anyway.
  13. dgree03 macrumors 65816


    Jan 8, 2009
  14. Davichi macrumors 6502

    Feb 23, 2011
    If you don't mind me asking, which iPad did you sell and how much did you sell it for?
  15. Dwalls90 macrumors 601


    Feb 5, 2009
  16. drgrafix macrumors regular

    Feb 9, 2008
    New England
    This is just about a non-issue. The OP swears he's getting a new iPad2 so why wait until the new one ships? Dumps yours as fast as you can because there is a feeling by industry analysts that apple is going to simultaneously reduce the price on the current iPad to thwart the intro of the Google/Droid tablet. They want to flush the inventory and at the same time make new appleheads by selling off the old iPads to new converts who want to stick their toe in the water. If apple drops the price to something like $399 or lower... say $349? Any chance you might get $300 for a used 16G iPad goes slowly out the window. Life goes on just fine without an iPad for the time between when you sell it and when you open the box of the new iPhone2. If you can't "live" without an iPad for a short period of time... you have other problems, bigger problems LOL!

    Read my lips; SELL IT NOW!
  17. MrWillie macrumors 65816


    Apr 29, 2010
    Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
    Yea, I understood that, I just don't understand needing to do a poll to make a decision.
  18. Davichi macrumors 6502

    Feb 23, 2011
    I just sold mine like an hour ago. And... I already miss it. I want it back.
  19. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

    Jul 17, 2010
  20. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040


    Aug 8, 2007
    Takamatsu, Japan

    I find these threads fascinating.

    With all the angst you'd think the 1G iPads will stop functioning altogether on the day of the 2G's release.

    Is it possible to enjoy your gadgets when you're constantly worrying about when you have to resell them by and what condition they're in?

    No wonder Apple's business is booming. :rolleyes:
  21. Avalontor macrumors regular

    Apr 14, 2010
    you should keep it until you have an ipad2 in your hand.

    they might be rare as hens teeth to find. didn't they just say they were having production problems?

    demand is going to be higher than supply.
  22. Zelnaga macrumors regular

    Jun 4, 2010
    Sell now. The longer you wait the more people will 'sell' their iPads aswell. Flood the market with second hand iPads and you will just get less for your money.

    Your going to sell it ... might aswell do it now.

    iPad 32GB are £320 on eBay .... theyre going for £510 in UK. Its only going to go down and I cant wait to bag myself a bargain :D
  23. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

    Jun 20, 2010
    I find such responses equally fascinating. Why do you care about what other people are bothered about? If you don't get why some people like to have the latest kit, leave the thread and move on instead of being a hypocrite.
  24. spacehog371 macrumors regular

    Dec 13, 2003
    I just sold my Wifi 16GB for $450.

    Oh, and I bought it for $425 a little before Christmas.

    If I think the new one is worth the money, I'm ready to buy it.

    If it's not, I'm ready to buy another original iPad off Craigslist for super cheap.

    The price is going to plummet after the 2nd.
  25. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040


    Aug 8, 2007
    Takamatsu, Japan
    Last I checked this was an open forum and we're all entitled to our opinions. :)

    I posted to state mine just like you did. How was I being hypocritical? I just bought my own 1G iPad last month, primarily because it was almost entirely subsidized by the 3G carrier, Softbank, because of the impending release of the 2G. :p

Share This Page