Seller/Buyer feedback system for Marketplace

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Pink∆Floyd, May 20, 2011.

1. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

This is mainly the main reason we should have a feedback system implemented for us Marketplace users.

Is there anything you can do for us arn/mods?

Having such a system will certainly make potential buyers feel at ease with their purchase

2. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Totally agree. I don't buy anything from the Marketplace since I don't trust anyone but myself. If there were ratings however...

3. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

Agreed! If not a rating system, can we just create two threads in the marketplace? One for jeers and one for cheers. Another forum I frequent implements the latter. That allows users to search either thread for a potential buyer or seller's feedback from others.

4. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

Agreed, it would be nice to have a list of confirmed to be "good' and "reputable" sellers / buyers, who are known to be good to their word/product. Some type of feedback system would be nice, but not totally necessary.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Playing Devils advocate here, but what if I had just gained access to the Marketplace forum and I had a MBP to sell. I had no history of selling on MR's, eBay etc. How would I get 'feedback' in the first place in order to validate myself as a legitimate seller?

6. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I've thought of that before, but you wouldn't.
    But at least you wouldn't have anything going outright against you.
    I mean, at least with a feedback system, the transactions you do make will be able to go for you in the future instead of just having to appear as a new seller every time and stating "oh look up my old threads and blahblah"- simple and organized is better. Also, with a feedback system people will feel more inclined to do good since they know it will be officially documented towards their reputation.

A feedback system would be a huge huge huge upgrade for the marketplace, and would make it much safer, easier, and organized. By this time I feel like it's almost a must-have, it would be a simple addition with huge benefits.

7. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

I do not have enough posts yet to even view the Marketplace, however, to have some type of feedback system to protect buyers from shady sellers the site really needs to integrate a token for eBay to verify that the eBay account a seller claims is theirs is really theirs. Anyone could pick a random eBay user name and claim that's them.

I've sold on eBay for years, have no expectations of selling any of my Mac's here, but I would be interested in shopping for a good deal on some older Mac's here, but only if I felt protected. Paypal doesn't protect buyers from third party websites, so there's little to no true protection available. But at least knowing that you are dealing with XYZ who has sold 3000 things on eBay would be more settling.

One last thing to keep in mind, and I have no idea if this is posted in the Marketplace, but in the U.S. if someone takes money through the mail but does not ship a product, that is mail fraud and a U.S. felony. But only if it's through the mail, i.e. Paypal doesn't count. I would recommend buyers to pay with a U.S. postal money order when possible and mail it to the seller. The money order can be tracked if it is cashed, and as I said, it's mail fraud if the seller does not live up to the terms of the deal.

8. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I totally agree that we should have a feedback system.
    I have sold and bought on this site and its a pain in the butt to find people to vouch for you after deal has been completed.

A simple user rating system would be great
    Maybe a validation period would be good for newbs or new marketplace users.

Other sites which I am on such as Solecollector and N-sb.org have a great system. With mods who pay attention and ban users for fake items scamming ect...

I think most users on here would feel good about a feedback system.

9. Pink∆Floyd thread starter macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

So far no input from any mods or arn...?

The current method of giving feedback isn't cutting it. We need something more instant and accurate...

10. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

A change or addition of this sort is really something that would be addressed on the admin level, which is why I think you haven't seen any feedback from mods on this.

I'm just guessing, but with the recently-implemented site redesign and issues connected to that, this might not be getting top priority at the moment. That would explain why there's not feedback yet. But these threads are read and often discussed, so my advice (speaking only for myself here) is just to be patient. :)

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The answer hasn't changed from previous times that the suggestion has come up. The Marketplace isn't the focus of this site and MacRumors has no interest in taking on the additional work to maintain a feedback system and get involved so directly with rating its users. Even if we did it wouldn't be foolproof.

Our Marketplace had many more problems before it was limited to more established forum users. Problems occur much less frequently than in the past. There will never be a guarantee that every user will deal honestly with others, but the majority do. Users should use the Marketplace forum only if they find the risk acceptable.

We continue to ask every user to post feedback after making a deal in the Marketplace forum. We also continue to suggest that users post their credentials from established sites like HeatWare, check other users' credentials and feedback from previous Marketplace threads, and get sufficient contact information from the other user before entering into a deal, and that they choose the safest methods of payment available.

12. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

If there was a single thread with a list of feedback maintained by an OP that could be stickied it would pretty much take care of the issue.

On Reddit's r/gameswap users post bad experiences to a particular forum. As you said, Marketplace isn't the forums main focus, so a single thread with all that info would be useful.

As someone who is just about to dive into the Market place for the first time it would be nice to have a thread with links to user feedback.

I'm sure this is probably best requested from the Marketplace forum Mod though.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You or another user could try out the idea. If so, you are welcome to PM me and we'll talk about how it might work.

14. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Cool thanks!

15. Pink∆Floyd thread starter macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

So we would need a new section within the Marketplace section (User Feedback List, perhaps?) and have a list of all the feedback for each individual user on an individual thread?

16. Krovem macrumors 6502

Krovem

I agree with the feedback system. I think there should be a way to prove your eBay account. I have 620 positive feedbacks on eBay & I want to sell my 2011 MBP 15" here but I cant yet because Im about 70 posts short. Its kind of frustrating. Also, I've been reading and been on MR for a little while now.

17. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

That would work too. That's exactly what reddit does. It also provides a location to track progress of a dispute with someone.

But I was saying it could even be as simple as one thread if the OP is diligent.

18. Pink∆Floyd thread starter macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Ok so each Marketplace user should have his/her individual thread in a section within the Marketplace forum called the User Feedback List and have all of his/her feedback?

Seems like a great idea that should be implemented :)