Selling core duo iMac for a core duo 2

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
679
0
I have a lower end macbook and an 17" imac and i use both.

i'm switching my major to computer science and im 21, i'm going to buy the nintendo wii to game on.

is there any reason to try to sell the imac on ebay and try to make what i paid for it? (overseas etc.) to get a core duo 2 imac?

i understand the core duo 2 imac performs 50% "better"?

i thought the computer was fast to begin with, the thought jumped in my head for one second basically to just "have the latest and it would last me longer"

but i really dont know, so i am asking for some advice from some smart people.
 

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
1,361
0
If you think its worth the hastle then go for it! Although, if you start selling with every upgrade, you'll never really enjoy your computer

appleintelrock
 

apachie2k

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
408
5
was NYC...now MIAMI
idk if i am the smartest person... but if you always get the 'latest and greatest" you'll never have to worry about it "lasting long enough" your imac won't need an update for quite some time to tell you the truth...i would wait till something spectacular... i mean the new 24" is pretty nice, but it's all up to you and your wallet
 

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
14,506
1,789
mac000 said:
is there any reason to try to sell the imac on ebay and try to make what i paid for it? (overseas etc.) to get a core duo 2 imac?

i understand the core duo 2 imac performs 50% "better"?
So you have a Core Duo iMac now and are considering moving up to a Core 2 Duo iMac?

I wouldn't.... the 50% number is a bit exaggerated or for one isolated thing. I think the number is typically closer to like 7%.

arn
 

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
1,401
0
CO
arn said:
So you have a Core Duo iMac now and are considering moving up to a Core 2 Duo iMac?

I wouldn't.... the 50% number is a bit exaggerated or for one isolated thing. I think the number is typically closer to like 7%.

arn
Arn's correct - the "50%" faster is not real-life performance, and even more, it's based on a 2.33 GHz chip (rather than a 2.0 GHz chip).

Remember the Intel transition, when everything was 400% faster? This pales in comparison...

Keep your iMac - dealing with eBay really is a hassle, especially for something like this...
 

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
1,628
0
i'm not sure what "computer science" entails, but if you need the 64-bit support, then i'd do it, but if your current mac suits your needs, just be happy with it.
 

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
2,573
0
Clemson, SC
unless you have a specific reason to need the core 2 duo versus what you have now (other than wanting the latest and greatest), then it's not worth the hassle, IMO.
 

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
679
0
arn said:
So you have a Core Duo iMac now and are considering moving up to a Core 2 Duo iMac?

I wouldn't.... the 50% number is a bit exaggerated or for one isolated thing. I think the number is typically closer to like 7%.

arn

oh wow, didnt even know it was more like 7%. core duo 2 seems more like a marketing ploy than anything else now!
 

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
977
9
Boston, MA
Apple's X% faster estimates are probably effective marketing hype, but they are truly shameful.
 

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
1,692
28
Northern Ireland
Honestly, you won't notice a difference, unless you do a lot of heavy processing and even then you're probably talking seconds on a very long operation, nothing you would notice in normal day-to-day use. The major change was PPC->Intel. To get a massive performance boost, you'll need to wait 3-4 revisions, you'll notice very little after just one.

Besides, there's more to a computer than a CPU update, overall performance depends on the system as a whole, and as a whole, not much has changed.
 

Apple!Fre@k

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2006
508
0
I have a Core Duo 20" iMac, but I'm upgrading because I want the 24". Anyone want to buy my 20"? --- $1,250 with 2GB of RAM. :)
 

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
670
0
why hasn't anybody recommended he just stick a core 2 duo chip into his current imac when they're readily available? or is this not possible?
 

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
2,137
0
Well I must say, you should have sold a couple weeks ago man. I sold my 20" CD, because I knew by Sept they would be updated.

The value on Core Duo iMacs just took a significant drop. It probably wont be worth you time or money to sell it, although the new models are cheaper. So you might come close to breaking even if you are lucky.