Selling iPhone - possible scams?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by James83448, Oct 7, 2015.

1. James83448 macrumors regular

James83448

I am in the process of selling my iPhone online, and I'm looking into possible buyer scams (so I don't get scammed when the sale completes in a few days). Can anybody tell me any way that I can reduce the risk of being scammed by the buyer?

I know one common buyer scam is to have a damaged iPhone that's the same model and colour as the one you're selling (maybe the green is shattered), and then when they receive yours, they say it's damaged and ask for a refund, shipping the old damaged phone back to you. I think I could protect myself here by simply checking the IMEI number as that's printed on the rear of the phone.

Am I being paranoid in thinking they could use my IMEI number and transfer it to another iPhone, and then return my iPhone, with the other phone's IMEI (say a stolen iPhone)?

Are there any scams that I should know about, or ways to help protect me, as the seller?

2. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

I don't think they can transfer IMEI's, not that I've heard of, anyway...

If possible, sell to someone with a reputation and good feedback. Not all sites have this system, but if it does, then all the better.

When you receive payment, always make sure it's legit. If say you receive an email from PayPal that you've received the payment, log into PayPal WITHOUT clicking links from the email, log in, and make sure the funds are in your account. Don't use wire transfers or other funky ways of payment. I'm not familiar with other methods of payment other than PayPal, but I would say PayPal is pretty safe.

3. James83448 thread starter macrumors regular

James83448

I'll be using TradeMe (Similar to eBay but in NZ) and they have a reputation system. I have no choice but to sell to either anybody as I've not got a feedback of >5 yet.

Good advice about checking PP via typing it in manually rather than following a link in an email. I will be accepting cash or bank deposit only (TradeMe has no option for PP).

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Personally I usually just sell mine to a store. Sure you don't get top dollar, but better than the hassel of eBay scammers.
    Make sure you use a courier with a signed for service, otherwise you won't have protection if your buyer claims not to have received it.
    I also read about using a temporary Apple ID,so you ship the phone locked. Then you only send the unlock code when your buyer confirms they have received it etc.

5. James83448 thread starter macrumors regular

James83448

I was planning on using a courier and having the item signed for yes.

Can you explain more about the temp Apple ID idea please?

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy