Selling JB iPhone 4- how to erase data?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TheXFactor, Nov 22, 2011.

1. TheXFactor macrumors regular

Good morning,

I have a Verizon iPhone 4 (4.2.8) that is jailbroken and sold. I need to erase all the data on the phone before I ship. Do I have to restore and re-jail break? Is that still possible with 4.2.8?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

if you ever saved your shsh blobs it is. else apple is done signing 4.2.8 and if you restore it will goto 5.0.1.

if you ever loaded cydia, you prolly have your blobs stored.

how much you selling? i want it!

3. TheXFactor thread starter macrumors regular

I did not save blobs, but loading cydia I see the blobs at the top line. 4.2.6, 4.2.8, 4.2.9, 4.2.10

Selling for $450. It's 32 GB.

Can someone link me or provide a brief description on what I need to do to to erase data and get back to my original jailbreak?

4. TheXFactor thread starter macrumors regular

ok, since I'm not getting much help, I went ahead and downloaded TU. I ran the app and I saved my blobs from cydia. I believe I have what I need, blob-wise.

4.2.8 is listed as a saved blob, which is what I am running. What's next?

Can someone provide the sequence I need to follow to restore this and re-jailbreak?

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

since you don't want to search can you aty least tell us what platform you have mac/pc I'd also say that $450 for a Verizon is shooting high. they are not getting as much since they are locked to that carrier with no chance to unlock. probably $350 more likely.

6. TheXFactor thread starter macrumors regular

On a Mac. The phone is already sold. I know how to restore the phone. I'm just not sure how TU comes into the picture. Just gotta make sure when I am done restoring I can re-jailbreak the phone.

Thanks

7. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

key word from labman was 'search' ....

your going to use TU to trick the hosts file into thinking cydia is apple...so it signs from your saved 4.2.8 blob.

so i would now get PwnageTool and the 4.2.8 ipsw and create a custom ipsw, then start the TU server, and option/restore and you gotta jb 4.2.8 freshy.

8. TheXFactor thread starter macrumors regular

I did search. Maybe I didn't use the right key words, but I couldn't specifically find what I was looking for. I have iPhone3,3_4.2.8_8E401_Restore.ipsw on my desktop from when I first jailbroke the phone. I also have redsn0w_mac_0.9.6rc18. Do I restore from iTunes after I start the TU server? Thanks for your help.

9. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

10. TheXFactor thread starter macrumors regular

I also have 4.2.6 Does that change anything? Also, am I using iTunes to restore?

I also have this link that I used to JB my iPhone:
    How to Jailbreak Verizon iPhone 4.2.8 UNTETHERED Redsn0w EASY WAY

11. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i give up..i just showed you how i got that info using google. you think maybe you can do something, since this is your jailbreak.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

http://tinyurl.com/6p97med

http://tinyurl.com/buhozbh

http://tinyurl.com/c4mg64w

you do know that a jailbroken phone won't fetch you that much more money. unlocked is the key for more doe. I would offer a choice myself. again about $350 is probably about right.

13. TheXFactor thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok. Sorry. I am confused about the exact sequence I do restore/jb.

14. TheXFactor thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I know how to jb my phone. My question is do I first restore in iTunes? I'm assuming once I do that I'll be on iOS 5 and then from there downgrade to 4.2.6?

15. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

neg, you make a custom firmware with PT, then click option+restore, and point towards that ipsw file. make sure to start your TU server so it tricks itunes too cydia for shsh blobs.

16. TheXFactor thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Can I use the ipsw file I have on my desktop that I used to originally jb my phone or do I have to make a custom one?

17. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

you can use that one np.

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

again you are doing allot of extra work since the buyer might not want a jailbroken device. leave it up to the buyer trust me.. I would use craigslist see what other (Verizon Iphones are selling for) ask what they want jb or non. meet them in a very public place. ;) the reason I say craigs cash in hand and no fees and no issues with people saying I didn't get it or it was broken.. good luck...

19. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

he already said he sold it...i cant believe someone paid that much either.

20. TheXFactor thread starter macrumors regular

Oh believe me I asked the buyer if he really wanted jb. I don't want to do all this extra crap. But the buyer insisted he wanted it jb. It's the reason he bought it. I have sold a ton of stuff on CL and had this phone listed there. I sold it over at hofo.

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

Damn I missed that :eek: it's worth the work ts buyer is over paying.. ;)

22. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

23. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

agreed! makes me wanna change mine to my golden ret pup!

24. labman macrumors 604

labman

thanks guys been meaning to change it for a while.. after all that where I got Labman from... Love my labs! :D

I always think of Hollywood Undead when I see your Avatar lol.. Golden's are great too.

25. TheXFactor thread starter macrumors regular

One more dumb question. When I click option+restore, am clicking on the device in TU or iTunes?