Selling MBP 13 without reformatting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hazedragon45, Jan 27, 2011.

1. hazedragon45 macrumors regular

Is it really necessary to reformat the entire computer before i sell it? if i remove all my passwords from applications or delete all saved data, clean out hard drive is that good enough? or can people recover it.

I ask because I want to sell it with applications such as Microsoft word without wiping it out.

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

If you use the ERASE FREE SPACE feature after you have deleted everything you want to delete, then yes.

Btw, if you sell your MacBook with MS Office (Word is only part of MS Office) on it, you do also sell the license for it don't you? If that is the case, the buyer can easily reinstall MS Office.

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Think about it. Is it really worth the risk vs knowing if you did a zero pass format + clean install, there's a very limited chance some stranger can recovery anything.

If you don't care, then sell it as is, but if someone wants to, they can recover information without doing one of the "pass" erases when doing a clean install.

I suspect you're not giving people the application keys, so technically that is illegal since I'm sure you will reinstall the same program on your new computer.

4. pricej636 macrumors 6502

I think it depends on how much of your life is on your machine. I do everything from banking to taxes to ordering stuff online. No way in heck I would sell this thing without zeroing the drive and re-installing the OS. The last two computers I sold ended up with new hard drives installed in them. You can order an OEM drive online for practically nothing these days.

5. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

tough call I suppose it depends whos buying it, if its your grandma or mother who cares

6. zodqyv macrumors regular

HDDs are cheap. I have always swapped in a new one before selling a machine. I either keep the old one or destroy it if I have no use for it.

7. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

It depends on how much you value your privacy and how hard someone else is willing to work to get at your stuff. Unless you want to keep applications there for the new owner, wipe it clean. Formatting and a reinstall doesn't take very long.

8. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

There is no way I'd sell a computer without wiping it. If you want them to have the Windows programs, give them the installation disk and the product key and let them reinstall themselves.

9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Actually, OP, why don't you do a zero pass + clean OS install and then re-install Word and the other programs?

Unless you got the software from a friend so you don't even have the registration keys yourself?

10. aCondor macrumors 6502

There are things on my laptop I would never wish upon my mother or grandmother. If they are buying my computer my first step is to drill holes in the hard drive, CIA-style. Don't judge. :eek: