Selling my MacBook, does this sound like a scam?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NYR99, Aug 1, 2010.

1. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I put my MacBook up on Craigslist for $750. I got this reply:

----------------

Thanks for you reply,i am located in Rochester city
    in NY,i really need to buy this and send to my
    son schooling outside the state as a Birthday Gift, have been trying to buy this on eBay
    but is very stressful buying on eBay and i will not want to miss out
    on this opportunity so am making you an offer of $800 so as to rap the sale off.
    I will be paying through PAYPAL
    because i have a verified account with paypal.So kindly get back with
    your paypal email address so i can make payment into your paypal
    account.Once payment clears,shipment will be handled by me through my
    personal FedEx account,so you don't have to pay for
    shipment.Get back to me if my approval is granted.I would like to see
    the pictures please.

------------------------

I think it sounds legit?

2. advres Guest

advres

he's offering you more than you are asking, wants to deal with shipping himself and can't make a coherent sentence. It is not legit, you will be ripped of.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't get it why he wants to pay via PayPal even though he said he don't like eBay which works via PayPal... Sounds fishy to me. ALWAYS meet in public and accept cash only when selling/buying in Craigslist. I wouldn't do this, offering more than you ask is always a note of something suspicious

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nobody from Rochester refers to it as "Rochester city."

---A Rochester native.

5. NYR99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just sent an email asking where I would be shipping to. If he says NY and then I give him my PayPal and he sends me the money THEN I send it out, can I still get ripped off?

I do have a feeling he is going to say "Just ship it to my son in Nigeria".

6. advres Guest

advres

Yes, paypal almost ALWAYS sides with the buyer. He is going to have it shipped, claim he didn't get it and get awarded his money back. DON'T DO IT! Listen to all of us.

7. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Verify the FedEx account number first along with the persons name. Include a detailed product description on the FedEx waybill along with the serial number then you can cover yourself as the seller. Keep a copy of the waybill.

What normally happens when people try to rip you off through paypal is when they receive the item they launch a dispute. If you do not have proof of shipment and delivery confirmation then paypal will side with the buyer and deduct the funds from your account, without your approval.

8. SPX macrumors member

That is a scammer.

I was sent a very similar email on Craigslist for a 13" white Macbook about two years ago. His son was going to school in Chicago, but the rest of the note looks identical.

I'd suggest that you pass on this offer; it isn't legit.

9. NYR99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok. I will not do it. Thanks guys.

"If it sounds to good to be true..."

10. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

do not send it. idc what proof and serial numbers you get from fedex. you will end up getting screwed. guaranteed.

11. Edmoil12 macrumors member

What it probably going to happen is he will send you the money to your paypal account, and once it clears you will send him your macbook. He will receive the laptop, and then tell paypal the item was grossly not as described. PayPal will then claw back the payment, the seller sends you back a box of rocks, and you are out a laptop. I would be VERY careful with anyone offering to give you more than you are asking.

12. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/sell/SellerProtection-outside

I have sold many high value items and receive payment only through paypal. If you know what you are doing then you do not get ripped off. I have had one dispute but had the necessary documents and faxed them to PayPal, the problem went away quick.

If you do not know what you are talking about, then you will immediately say that it is a scam and to avoid the deal. Don't blame paypal for getting ripped off, you can only blame your lack of being prepared.

13. SidBala macrumors 6502a

on craigslist just follow 2 simple rules and you can never go wrong:

1) never ship
    2) accept only cash (check if cash is legit)

14. NYR99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The "buyer" just replied. He said I would ship it to him. I told him sorry, but I think this is a scam and I sent him a link to this thread.

15. SPX macrumors member

If there was any question before seeing this link, there should be none after.

That is a very small sample, but should give you ample evidence that this guy isn't original or legit.

16. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

It's a scam. As a general rule, never respond to "shipping" offers via craigslist. If the buyer truly wanted something to be shipped to him, he'd have better sense to use Ebay where it's more secure.

For CL, it's best to do only face-to-face cash transactions in busy places. Personally for selling expensive items (phones, laptops, etc.) I ask to meet the buyer in a bank where it's highly secure and I can also check the cash for counterfeit before completing the sale :)

17. circularforward macrumors 6502

I think I read the bank suggestion in one of your other posts, and it's great advice! Thank you.

18. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Haha, wow, and google omitted several similar results. I wonder how many people fell for it.

19. slocraiger macrumors newbie

20. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Some of it doesn't make sense, so I'd say yeah, it's a scam. Why would you spell it badly?

You could try Gazelle.com to sell your MacBook.

21. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Tell him to send the money as a gift.
    There is no way to take it back

22. eman macrumors 6502a

There is an exception to shipping after payment for me and it's a USPS money order. I have shipped stuff all over the US after receiving a USPS money order. If the post office accepts the money order and gives me cash, you can ship. If the post office discovers later the money order is bad, the post office eats the bad money order, not me. I don't accept any other money order other than a USPS money order period (except cash of course)!

23. circularforward macrumors 6502

So OP, how is it going? Have you found any legitimate offers with your asking price?

24. NYR99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sort of, one of my girlfriends friends wants it for 700 (of course I wasn't expecting to sell it for my full asking price). She just has to wait for her next paycheck. I have another few offers for less than that. If she doesn't come through I will sell to them. Are you interested in the MacBook or just curious? I am reinstalling SL as I speak (well, type).