Selling my phone on ebay - is this email a scam?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nickb, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Nickb macrumors regular

hi everyone

im selling my old iPhone on ebay, unlocked and so on - just got this email from someone and it smells abit fishy to me - see what you think

Good Day,

I am interested in your item displayed on ebay, i want get this item for my step daughter who is currently studying in Africa as a BIRTHDAY PRESENT.

I would have love to bid as others but the nature of my job will not allow me to do this at this time, I will be offering you £300.00 for the item including p&p cost to W/Africa via Royal Mail Intl Signed For(Postoffice).

So please if you are interested in selling this item to me kindly send me your full name and your PayPal email address OR your full information in other for me to make payment via Nochex Postal Order,so that I can send out payment immediately.

As i said earlier am offering you £300.00 for this item this will include both the shipping and handling cost to Africa.

N.B :- I WOULD PREFER YOU SEND ME AN EMAIL DIRECTLY TO :- MELINDA.1@OPERAMAIL.COM AS I DON'T USUALLY CHECK MY EBAY MESSAGES.

Your urgent response will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks and God bless.
    melinda.1@operamail.com

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

3. m477h3w macrumors 6502

Dear-o-dear, that is 1000000000% a SCAM!!!!! You have to be soooo carefull on eBay with all the scammers, especially when selling phones. If I were you I would not ship abroad, and only sell to users with 100% feedback.

Also, make sure you post it so it can be tracked and require a signiature as proof of postage! Make sure it is insured as well. You really cannot be too carefull, especially if you take payment via PayPal (that incompetant company should be avoided like the plague!!!!!!!).

Good luck :D

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Craigs list is better. Ebay has been taken over by these scammers. So yes its a scam.

5. Nickb thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i thought this was wrong in every way - yeah ill be using paypal but will defo be insuring the phone and sending special delivery

6. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Just tell him you will send the phone upon delivery of payment. Or tell him to pay via papal.

7. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Or, seeing as how everyone else thinks it's a scammer, not.

8. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

how can you not know that's it's a scam. he doesn't want to bid and is willing to send you a payment outside of eBay, who does that. just ignore it, unless you are greedy and want to give it a shot.

9. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

That would be pure craziness.

Scam. SCAM. Scam.

Scammy scam scam scam.

10. Psyxologos macrumors regular

Only ship to VERIFIED paypal addresses and, if you can, UK ONLY. This is what I do. If they want you to ship to a different address, wait untill the payment has cleared (5-7 working days), and then wait for another 7 days. THEN you can ship!

11. iblastoff macrumors 6502

how brain dead does someone have to be to not see that as a scam. wow.

12. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

Ship to Africa = Scam

I have even gotten these types of emails in response to ads that I placed on Craigslist.

13. Nickb thread starter macrumors regular

nah not greedy, it should go for a good price as its in mint nick ....

yeah i agree with you all, just wanted to check thats all - anyone fancy abit of email bombing?

14. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

15. ec51 macrumors 6502

Def a scam....what does he mean he doesn't check his eBay messages often? Last time I checked, your eBay messages are forwarded to your email.

16. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

*Facepalm*

I don't know what is more pathetic: scammers thinking people will actually fall for this, sellers actually considering the transaction, or worse, people actually falling for this and losing their merchandise. :(

Hrm, if it is his daughter that is in Africa, what would prevent him from just buying one himself in the UK and shipping it himself? And who "studies" in Africa anyways? I would imagine Africans... scientists, and study abroad students (for a month or so).

The nature of his job prevents bidding on ebay?! How could that ever make sense, especially considering he was BROWSING eBay to find your listing.

So he wants your PayPal email address so he can NOT send payment via PayPal? Right.

In other words, "Let's conduct this transaction outside of eBay, but SHHH! don't tell them because eBay will get mad at you!" How many times per login does eBay need to warn users not to sell outside of eBay?

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

All key scammer phrases.

18. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

I sold a lot (over 30) original iPhones on eBay myself and I can personally tell you this is a scam.

19. kicko macrumors 65816

its soo a scam but why not have fun with them!!

send them a (empty) box and see what you would have gotten for a payment.

20. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

you beat me to it, i was gonna say anything with africa in it is a scam

21. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Warning, warning!!! Danger Will Robinson!!!!!!

Just to echo what others are saying, this is a total scam.

23. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

24. cymrulp macrumors member

cymrulp

id agree SCAM. had something similar when I sold my n95

25. MCRunning macrumors 6502