Selling on Craigslist?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tinyluph, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Tinyluph macrumors regular

I am considering selling my retina macbook pro on craigslist. How do people usually go about payments for big purchases like this? Should I expect someone to bring me over a grand in cash in person? :eek:

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I would. Anyone that wants it can go to their bank and get the money. What's the alternative? A check that they can stop payment on? Or online payment that they can dispute and screw you over later? With cL, the rule of thumb is cash only or GTFO.

3. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Selling on craiglist is usually a pretty quick way to sell. I agree in that they should give you cash. The alternative IMO is to use paypal, and have the person transfer funds from that, but make sure you give them a deadline! :p

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes. How else would you accept payment? Forget about checks, and if you try PayPal/CC, you need a very clear record of the transaction and the ability to prove the other party received the machine. This is so that if the other party attempts to charge back the $$ you can dispute it with PayPal/CC and have them resolve in your favor.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

A personal check would work, if they are willing to meet you at their bank so you can cash it. Cashier's checks (can't be stopped) should work, but I'd worry about fake ones. They also say you should not allow strangers in your home. Meet them at a Starbucks or some place like that. Even if it is a girl and you don't feel threatened, she could be scoping out your place for a later unauthorized visit.

6. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Cash, or credit card payment via Square.

To protect yourself from charge-backs, make sure you swipe a physical card, obtain a signature, state what you're selling in the notes of the transaction ( that will also be part of the receipt), and state that you are selling the item AS IS with no implied warranty or right to return.

-t

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Meet in a public place and only accept cash.

8. Tinyluph thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry if this question was a bit naive of me. I've just never sold anything on craigslist before.

On a slightly related note, how much do you think I should be selling a retina macbook pro (base model 2012) for? I bought it refurbished a few months ago. It looks basically new aside from cleanable smudges. There are no visible scratches.

9. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Cash Only, and meet in a public place , as far as pricing check the apple refurbished store and price it close enough depending on condition? someone who is purchasing a retina probably did some research, but again you never know on craiglist , list hight because people will bargain with you so leave some room :)