Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Not a fan of LCD, sorry. Note 4 has THE single best display in the world. Proven. Fact. Anyway, thanks for chiming in though.

I chuckled.

The vergecast had a fantastic discussion about this during their Apple Watch discussion. With the iPhone, you turn it on, download apps, that's pretty much it. With Android, there are so many other layers of things you can do and manipulate, that a lot of the pedestrian end users would rather just have the simple iPhone approach.

My favorite and least favorite parts of the Nexus 5 and Galaxy SIII was the customization of android, but man, I'm just not sure any of the interfaces are quite as good all around as iOS at delivering the simplicity expected by pedestrian users.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
This kinda infuriates me. Why the hell are you trying to convert her if she didn't like it?

She likes iPhones? Cool. Let her have a damn iPhone.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I chuckled.

The vergecast had a fantastic discussion about this during their Apple Watch discussion. With the iPhone, you turn it on, download apps, that's pretty much it. With Android, there are so many other layers of things you can do and manipulate, that a lot of the pedestrian end users would rather just have the simple iPhone approach.

My favorite and least favorite parts of the Nexus 5 and Galaxy SIII was the customization of android, but man, I'm just not sure any of the interfaces are quite as good all around as iOS at delivering the simplicity expected by pedestrian users.

You don't have to customise. You can take the iPhone approach with Android too. Set a wallpaper and have apps on the gone screen in rows and rows.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
You don't have to customise. You can take the iPhone approach with Android too. Set a wallpaper and have apps on the gone screen in rows and rows.

The reason for me wanting a 6+ would be continuity and how well it would work with my MBP, something I sorely miss.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The reason for me wanting a 6+ would be continuity and how well it would work with my MBP, something I sorely miss.

It's nice of you have other Apple products. I have a windows laptop and have no intention of buying a mac. Of you're well entrenched in the Apple ecosystem then the new iPhones will be great.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Link. To. Said. Proof.:rolleyes:

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note4_ShootOut_1.htm

Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, the Galaxy Note 4 is the Best performing Smartphone display that we have ever tested. It matches or breaks new records in Smartphone display performance for: Highest Absolute Color Accuracy, Highest Screen Resolution, Infinite Contrast Ratio, Highest Peak Brightness, Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light, and the smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle. Its Color Management capability provides multiple Color Gamuts – a major advantage that is not currently provided by any of the other leading Smartphones.

The Galaxy Note 4 delivers uniformly consistent all around Top Tier display performance: it is the first Smartphone display to ever get all Green (Very Good to Excellent) Ratings in all test and measurement categories (except one Yellow for a Brightness Variation with Average Picture Level) since we started the Display Technology Shoot-Out article Series in 2006, an impressive achievement for a display.

The Galaxy Note 4 has again raised the bar for top display performance up by another notch.

----------

This kinda infuriates me. Why the hell are you trying to convert her if she didn't like it?

She likes iPhones? Cool. Let her have a damn iPhone.

I'm sorry that you are infuriated. Luckily, she's not. And as of this morning, told me that she's liking her S5 and doesn't care much about me hunting down another iPhone 6.

Saves me $200, so I'm happy.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, the Galaxy Note 4 is the Best performing Smartphone display that we have ever tested. It matches or breaks new records in Smartphone display performance for: Highest Absolute Color Accuracy, Highest Screen Resolution, Infinite Contrast Ratio, Highest Peak Brightness, Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light, and the smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle. Its Color Management capability provides multiple Color Gamuts – a major advantage that is not currently provided by any of the other leading Smartphones.

The Galaxy Note 4 delivers uniformly consistent all around Top Tier display performance: it is the first Smartphone display to ever get all Green (Very Good to Excellent) Ratings in all test and measurement categories (except one Yellow for a Brightness Variation with Average Picture Level) since we started the Display Technology Shoot-Out article Series in 2006, an impressive achievement for a display.

The Galaxy Note 4 has again raised the bar for top display performance up by another notch.

----------

I'm sorry that you are infuriated. Luckily, she's not. And as of this morning, told me that she's liking her S5 and doesn't care much about me hunting down another iPhone 6.

glad she likes it. What colour did you get her?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

----------

Thanks for the link. Glad your wife is happy with her S5.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
glad she likes it. What colour did you get her?

She wanted black. I got her black.

And for those asking "why Galaxy S5 and not ____?"
I've been very happy with my Note 3. (too big for her small hands). The M8 looks great, but not so much the camera. We have a little daughter and we take a LOT of pics and video. So optics were actually important here. Especially after her Moto X disappointment. Again, thanks all.

ritholtz

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
According to anandtech prelimary tests, Iphone 6 is faster (way ahead in some tests). They have nice charts as well.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.