Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003

mrCide

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009
I installed it today after the updates to mobilesubstrate and appsync, tests okay. phone seems to be fine but it hasn't even been a day yet.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
I installed it today after the updates to mobilesubstrate and appsync, tests okay. phone seems to be fine but it hasn't even been a day yet.

I think it's a pretty badass solution. Semitether will definitely hold me over until I can get back to my computer for a full reboot.

BrunoM

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
I like it, but i'm still waiting for the untethered version as i want to install installous :/

simple20

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I was about to pull the trigger but then say the warning that its a full mobile substrate rewrite. What does that mean? Also what is appsync? Lastly I'm on 4.3.2 untethered jb with the blobs on tiny umbrella. If I do the semi-tether, I can still restore to an un-jb'd 5.0, OR 4.3.2 and reinstall the untethered JB, right?

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
finally iphone4 is 50% completed

I have two iPads and one iP4 on 4.2.1. The iP4 is not used for phone service as I have a iP4s for phone.

So, tethered or semi tethered is fine.

Given this, is there a clear and clean shot to update these devices to ios5 and keep the JB all along the way?

Is there a good set of instructions anywhere for people still trying to upgrade from a JBed 4.2.1 device?

Thanks!!

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
I was about to pull the trigger but then say the warning that its a full mobile substrate rewrite. What does that mean? Also what is appsync? Lastly I'm on 4.3.2 untethered jb with the blobs on tiny umbrella. If I do the semi-tether, I can still restore to an un-jb'd 5.0, OR 4.3.2 and reinstall the untethered JB, right?

MobileSubstrate was updated yesterday, the semitether has been updated to make use of it. AppSync is program people use to sync cracked apps to their computer. If you don't use cracked apps, it doesn't affect you.

----------

I have two iPads and one iP4 on 4.2.1. The iP4 is not used for phone service as I have a iP4s for phone.

So, tethered or semi tethered is fine.

Given this, is there a clear and clean shot to update these devices to ios5 and keep the JB all along the way?

Is there a good set of instructions anywhere for people still trying to upgrade from a JBed 4.2.1 device?

Thanks!!

Only the original iPad can be jailbroken on iOS 5 right now, not the iPad 2. If you want to jailbreak an original iPad or iPhone 4, update to iOS 5 like you normally would, restore your backup and sync all of your apps, etc... and then use this tutorial:

http://www.jailbreakstatus.com/how-to-jailbreak-with-redsn0w/

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
am i the only person for which the semi tether package doesnt work? My iphone just hangs at the apple screen. Tried reinstalling it but no dice.

smotheredhope

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2009
http://www.jailbreakstatus.com/2011/10/semi-tether-jailbreak-patch-updated-safari-appsync-support/

You can now use Safari while Semi-Tethered. This has pretty much been my main hangup, as I need Safari continually. I have heard that 3rd party browsers still work, but I'm not too interested in using another app.

For this reason, I made the jump to iOS 5 and installed the SemiTether. I love it, and no longer have to wait on an untether.

Anyone else using it? Experiences?

It's a shame That you are adverse to using different browsers as atomic is superior in every way.

vtmikevt

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
the update leaves me with a new "app" called semitether with a white icon. I'm scared to open it. Does anyone know what this is / does?

Eternal 28

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Thats just the app that runs in the background to keep your iPhone in reboot mode incase of a reboot.

edk

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
..and if after a reboot, you still have a white icon, then just respring, and everything should be fine.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
..and if after a reboot, you still have a white icon, then just respring, and everything should be fine.

In my experience, the white icon doesn't mean anything. I can open it and change settings, etc. even though mine is showing as white right now. I'm sure there are others with OCD that it will annoy though.

edk

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
agreed. but a simple respring via sbsettings fixes it, so why not..

schiotz

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011
I don't know if it is a problem with semitether, with mobile substrate or with something else, but all icons installed through Cydia are white (not Cydia itself, though). Everything works, it is just the icons (yes, I did boot tethered). Also, respringing sometimes fixes it for a while, but rarely.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
I don't know if it is a problem with semitether, with mobile substrate or with something else, but all icons installed through Cydia are white (not Cydia itself, though). Everything works, it is just the icons (yes, I did boot tethered).

That's very odd. Have you tried restoring and using redsn0w?

TheComposer

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
If you guys buy an Iphone Wall Charger, you'll virtually have the device turned on every momeny so no need of reboot = Jailbroken all the time, how convenient is this?

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
If you guys buy an Iphone Wall Charger, you'll virtually have the device turned on every momeny so no need of reboot = Jailbroken all the time, how convenient is this?

i haven't installed it yet simply because i haven't actually restarted the device. Running the GM since it came out.

schiotz

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011
That's very odd. Have you tried restoring and using redsn0w?

I did that now. It did not help. But while fumbling with it, BibBoss tweeted 'White icons not caused by semitether. Install my "respring" from cydia and run that. It rebuilds your app cache before respringing'

Indeed, installing that package and running it fixed the icons, but only until next respring. They then become white again. Well, I can live with that. :)

Jakob

sneezymarble

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
http://www.jailbreakstatus.com/2011/10/semi-tether-jailbreak-patch-updated-safari-appsync-support/

You can now use Safari while Semi-Tethered. This has pretty much been my main hangup, as I need Safari continually. I have heard that 3rd party browsers still work, but I'm not too interested in using another app.

For this reason, I made the jump to iOS 5 and installed the SemiTether. I love it, and no longer have to wait on an untether.

Anyone else using it? Experiences?

Nice. I think I'll finally move to iOS5 now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.