Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

120742-ios_gps_location.jpg
With much publicity about yesterday's iOS location-tracking issue, a number of voices have already weighed in to provide additional perspective on exactly what is happening with respect to user privacy.

As noted by Ars Technica, U.S. Senator Al Franken sent a letter (PDF) to Apple CEO Steve Jobs yesterday asking for more detail on how consumers' information is being used and why it is not encrypted.Anyone who finds a lost or stolen iPhone or iPad or who has access to any computer used to sync one of these devices could easily download and map out a customer's precise movements for months at a time. It is also entirely conceivable that malicious persons may create viruses to access this data from customers' iPhones, iPads, and desktop and laptop computers. There are numerous ways in which this information could be abused by criminals and bad actors. A number of observers have pointed out that Apple did respond to location-tracking concerns last July, noting that such information could be collected, batched, and sent to Apple to assist with generating and refining its database of cellular and Wi-Fi access points for providing location services. Location tracking is also used to aid in targeting iAds to customers based on their geographic region, although this information is not passed on to advertisers.

We mentioned in our initial report that knowledge of this "consolidated.db" file containing the timestamped location information was not new, having been used by forensic analysts associated with law enforcement seeking to determine the whereabouts of a given device (and presumably the person associated with that device) at a given time. One of the people primarily responsible for developing those forensic tools, Alex Levinson, has weighed in on the developments, specifically taking issue with several of yesterday's claims.While forensics isn't in the forefront of technology headlines these days, that doesn't mean critical research isn't being done surrounding areas such as mobile devices. I have no problem with what Mr. Warden and Mr. Allan have created or presented on, but I do take issue with them making erroneous claims and not citing previously published work. I'm all for creative development and research, as long as it's honest.For example, while Apple has noted in the past that it does collect information for specific purposes, it does so anonymously. Consequently, Levinson notes that claims that Apple is gathering information about user locations are overblown. Levinson also notes that the database of locations in iOS is neither hidden nor new as presented in yesterday's report, reporting that the file had existed in earlier versions of iOS as "h-cells.plist" but changed names and locations with iOS 4 in order to support background location services employed as part of the new multitasking features of iOS.

Finally, Levinson points to his own work, including contributions to a textbook describing exactly what the various database files are and how they are used. Levinson also developed and is continuing to work in his capacity as lead engineer Katana Forensics on Lantern, software for forensic professionals assisting them with pulling information from such files.

Article Link: Senator Asks Apple About Location-Tracking Issues as Experts Weigh In

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Time to hide my iPhone file from the wife:rolleyes:

Seriously......privacy issues seem all over the place in this digital age....here is another example.

I guess we need a law disclosing if such and such device tracks you and needs to disclose that to you clearly via a warning label/other....

W1MRK

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
This really is not a issue in my opinion. Smart phones have tons of data stored on them and if its really not being sent, whats the harm. If someone were to get my phone and read my info, they will be as excited as I used to be in PE class. First the DUI checkpoints now this. Is there something more important for them to look into? Like a Budget and ( insert concern here ) :)

Now if your a bad boy or girl, I can see this becoming a Court Evidence Issue in the near future. But until then, remember the NSA scans calls randomly for "our safety" Bigger issues than this in the world of privacy.

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
They are blowing it out of proportion.

What about Google? Why don't they go after them for tracking every little thing you do with their services. If you want to talk about a company that violates & then documents our privacy go after Google.

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
A number of observers have pointed out that Apple did respond to location-tracking concerns last July, noting that such information could be collected, batched, and sent to Apple to assist with generating and refining its database of cellular and Wi-Fi access points for providing location services. Location tracking is also used to aid in targeting iAds to customers based on their geographic region, although this information is not passed on to advertisers.

Once sent to Apple, it should be removed from the phone though, which is not happening right now according to reports. This is wrong. The problem isn't the feature per say, it's the persistence of this database and it's very accurate, low-resolution.

dietwater5

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Lie

If you have a passcode on your phone then you cant sync/create a backup if your phone was lost or stolen

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
The more publicity on this, the more likely a hack will be developed. I love how many news organizations believe that this open file is some kind of new issue!

There is a reason that some of us Jailbreak, outside of the desire to add applications outside of the appstore.

If you have a passcode on your phone then you cant sync/create a backup if your phone was lost or stolen

There are other ways to access data on an iPhone outside of Apple tools. If you think a Passcode is making your phone secure, you are mistaken.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Read the letter. I'd like an open response from Apple which specifically answers those questions.

MacMan86

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
UK
Once sent to Apple, it should be removed from the phone though, which is not happening right now according to reports. This is wrong. The problem isn't the feature per say, it's the persistence of this database and it's very accurate, low-resolution.

Reports are the file isn't sent to Apple, it doesn't leave the iPhone/iTunes backup. It exists to cache the location of nearby cell towers to provide a rough location in an area with no GPS or data connection. If it wasn't persistent, it would be pointless

This explains it very well: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12432603/

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
The people who are truly concerned about their privacy, for whatever reason that may be, know that this issue pales in comparison to everything else.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Oh save us mighty Senator Stuart Smally.

Maybe focus on Jobs, Deficit, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya.

Not if my Iphone has an internal file that shows I went to Walmart then the strip club last Tuesday night.

TTarkas

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
Is Al Frankin running for president again? :rolleyes:

At least he's got a birth certificate. Although I think it refers to Stewart Smalley or something like that.

Watch this issue to be linked to net neutrality in a heartbeat, and the logical .. cough: BS cough: .. conclusion that the government should make all rules for consumer devices and electronic signals.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Although this isn't stopping me from using my phone, I still think this is definitely the right move and I'm interested in hearing what Apple has to say about it, and hope they are pressured on this topic. As for Google: a) this discussion isn't about Google so that company is off-topic, and b) assuming it *was* about Google rather than Apple, I would have liked to see the same steps taken there.

Storing a user's whereabouts for the foreseeable future with no system to remove old data (like Google and other search companies does it, anonymizing data within 18-24 months) and not even tell your users about it is definitely not good. When data is collected that can compromise a user's privacy, they need to include details on this in their end-user agreement.

dr Dunkel

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

This will blow up... bad. The named file will be banned in several countries.

dietwater5

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
The more publicity on this, the more likely a hack will be developed. I love how many news organizations believe that this open file is some kind of new issue!

There is a reason that some of us Jailbreak, outside of the desire to add applications outside of the appstore.

There are other ways to access data on an iPhone outside of Apple tools. If you think a Passcode is making your phone secure, you are mistaken.

Not being rude at all but please tell me. I really want to know specifics.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
So...this guy Levinson...he spends all his time breaking down all the data and info in iOS...and then writes a book about all the locations of these files and how to manipulate them?....and he complains how people may easily get hacked?

Hmm... I'm missing something here...

How many everyday people will stop and dissect the software to create destruction and havoc? 99% of people in the world are too busy being self-absorbed and being on the move.

I sure do hope that those hired to create iOS would not defect to the Dark Side and create malicious code, but continue working and securing the devices and its software.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
They are blowing it out of proportion.

What about Google? Why don't they go after them for tracking every little thing you do with their services. If you want to talk about a company that violates & then documents our privacy go after Google.

What about Apple? Why don't they go after them for tracking every little thing you do with their services. If you want to talk about a company that violates & then documents our privacy go after Apple.

Don't be a fool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.