Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Apple hackers develop better jailbreaks now so they can keep up with the superior system Android has.

There's so much more one can do with Android.

After having every iPhone, I tried Android and I'm so amazed at their great capabilities.

Android is awesome.

That said my Iphone 4 is best as an iPod replacement.

I have the best of both worlds.

Don't believe a word this troll posts. Not even a good liar. Here's its first post--from about 2 weeks ago!

" Apr 8, 2011, 01:55 PM * #1
maclaptop
macrumors 6502
Please Help with OS versions MBP & iPhone 4
Just switched from PC to Mac

Bought a new 2010 MBP with 10.6.4, and a new iPhone 4 with 4.3.x

I've been using the computer for about five months, but the iPhone just arrived right now, and I haven't even unpacked it yet when a question came to mind.

Question:

May I sync the new iPhone to iTunes for the Initial Setup WITHOUT updating OS X on my MBP?

I prefer NOT to just yet, since the computer is running perfectly and I'm still getting accustomed to it.

I'm also not ready to have the Mac App Store installed until I get familiar with the rest of this change from PC to Mac.

Thanks "

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
The more publicity on this, the more likely a hack will be developed. I love how many news organizations believe that this open file is some kind of new issue!

There is a reason that some of us Jailbreak, outside of the desire to add applications outside of the appstore.

There are other ways to access data on an iPhone outside of Apple tools. If you think a Passcode is making your phone secure, you are mistaken.

If someone is getting into your iPhone, the least of your worries is a file showing an approximation of where you've been.

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Time to hide my iPhone file from the wife:rolleyes:

Seriously......privacy issues seem all over the place in this digital age....here is another example.

I guess we need a law disclosing if such and such device tracks you and needs to disclose that to you clearly via a warning label/other....

will a law stop the data from being used against you?

wolfie37

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2007
Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland
In short...You are all good little sheep!

The only sheep around this forum are the paranoid who are jumping on the media bandwagon about this non-story about a non-privacy issue. It isn't even news having been published, over a year ago, by more learned academics than the two attention seekers currently hogging the limelight.

This file has existed in every iPhone since day one, albeit under a different name, logs of where your mobile phone is are kept by every mobile phone company. Yet none of this seems to matter to anyone until these two, questionable academics, decide to publicise this as a "big brother is watching you' privacy story.

Away and graze in your field, we need more wool from you!

cozmot

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, DC
Would feel the same way if it was Google or Microsoft or any other company?

Um, yes. My credit card companies have a real good idea of where I've been. Google stores my search data. My ISP knows where I go on the Net. But if the FBI is listening in on my phone conversations or reading my emails -- as they are known to have done *even* when a citizen is not a suspect in any scheme -- I have a problem with that. The Patriot Act is the real threat to our privacy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.