Send text instead of iMessage for only one person?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jordanneo, Mar 6, 2014.

1. jordanneo macrumors newbie

My wife and I recently got iPhones. She doesn't have a data plan. Whenever I message her, even when she's out and not on wi-fi, my iPhone wants to send her iMessage instead of text.

I thought it would automatically shift to text, but it doesn't. I have to select Send as Text Message to get the message to go to her. Then, after a few messages back and forth, it settles on text.

Then, next time I go to message her, it's back to iMessage as default.

Is there any way I can set it up so that my phone will always send messages to her as text? I still want to use iMessage for those with data plans and non-cellular devices.

I've searched around the forum and can't find anything that works...

Thanks,

J

2. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I don't know of a way you can disable iMessages for just one contact on your end. But if your wife doesn't use data, maybe she should disable iMessages on her iPhone, so she only receives texts.

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Disable iMessage on her phone. Problem solved.

4. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

+1

Also, it will send it automatically as a text after 5 minutes of it not being delivered as an iMessage.

5. jordanneo thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool. Thanks. I'll try these out.

Re: automatically sending as text after 5 minutes, I'll try again. Maybe I just didn't wait long enough...

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

iMessage generally doesn't use much data look in the cellular section of settings scroll down and hit system severices it will say messaging service that's how much you used sence the last time you reset it. I think you should reset yours and use I for a few days to see for your self how much data it will be using.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

iMessage doesn't use much for sending just texts, but it really adds up with multimedia messages. I think I use at least 90 MB a month for iMessage.

8. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

correct me if i am wrong but don't you have to have a data plan if you have an iPhone?

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

That's why I said generally and to see for themselves how much they use.

10. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

In the US: postpaid, yes; prepaid, no. I reckon data plans aren't mandatory in a lot of European and Asian countries. The only reason it became somewhat mandatory in the US is because it's really meant to pay off the device subsidy.

11. highertechnology macrumors 6502

12. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

Having an iPhone with no data plan is like driving a Ferrari with flat tires.

Call me an elitist if you may, but if you and/or your wife cannot afford the extra $10-$20 a month to have the most basic data plan… I just don't see no purpose, I'm sorry.