Sending a gift to someone overseas

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by c073186, Nov 28, 2014.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I'd like to send a Christmas gift to a colleague, I am in the US, and he is in Ireland. I just want it to be something small and a nice gesture, but so far, have been unable to find stores that (1) Ship international and (2) Does not have an absurdly high cost of international shipping. Maybe it isn't really feasible to do this, but was just curious if anyone here has experience with this sort of thing... any suggestions would be welcome. I'm looking to spend like $20-30 .... it's just a friend through work, so nothing over the top. What would be a good gift for this situation?

2. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Amazon has a global section with everything that ships internationally. Shipping cost will be like $15 though.

Maybe look at online stores in ireland that accept international credit card.

3. MasterChat macrumors member

Yeah, it is a great idea.. find an online store in Ireland..

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'd actually go the opposite way.

Instead of trying to find something local there, It may mean more to find something either local to your area or to the culture here and ship it there. I say that, because what we consider normal here would be unique there. For example: How many Tulsa University or American Indian shirts or sweatshirts are you going to see in Ireland?

While we may see those or something similar all the time here, it would be something that most hadn't seen there. That would not only make the gift a bit more sentimental, but give them something that is from here that is unique to them.

Perhaps something like that from your area, with shipping it yourself at the post office? If so, be sure to label it as a gift; you don't want to be charged duty for the parcel.

BL.

5. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

My hubby is from England and when we send gifts we go thru Amazon UK, it's much better for shipping and prices .. Give it a look...

6. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like this thought and wanted to do this, but when I go to USPS, UPS, or Fedex, and estimate the shipping cost on the smallest size package I can, the cost estimate is $75-100! Surely there is a better way?

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Female? If so she maybe a charm bracelet. I'd recommend Pandora, but you'd end up spending more like $100 for a basic silver bracelet and a charm or two. Mailing through USPS should not cost an arm and a leg. So basically I have no good suggestions. :p

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Nearly $100? That isn't right. Decide what you'd want.. better yet, take a sweatshirt that you already have. package it up in one of the USPS boxes but don't tape it shut (they are free there), then ask them how much it would cost to send it to your friend's address. They should be able to give you a much better price than what you would find online. With shipping overseas, they'll prefer that you take it to the post office or shipping store, just because of the customs issue alone.

But definitely take something to the post office, and ask how much it would be. That should give you a good feel on how much it would cost.

I've sent packages like this to Australia, New Zealand, and the UK from both Nebraska and Las Vegas, and it never cost that much. A couple of shirts, postcards, and a letter ran me no more than $40.

BL.