Sending my 32gb iPhone 4 into space. Have questions.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rbai63, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Rbai63, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

Rbai63 macrumors member

I am going to be sending up my 32gb iPhone 4 attached inside of a styrafoam cooler to a weatherballoon to record hd video of the earths atmosphere from 90,000ft up. It should take 1.30 - 2 hrs from launch to impact back to the ground.

I will have the styrafoam cooler with newspaper and hand warmers inside to keep the inside temp warm.

I have a SPOT gps messenger just incase of no Cell phone service I will still be able to track it, the SPOT messenger relies on GPS satellites.

Is it true that their is a record limit of 50min at a time? If so is their an app or something to make it record longer?

Also

I will be running mobile me to track the phone also + hd video recording on the phone, with a full battery will it last 2hrs? Or should I make an external battery adapter consisting of 4 AA batteries which I believe is enough for 1 full charge.

Thanks.

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Granted that there are others who have attempted a similar feat successfully, I don't know exactly how well (nor has it been detailed) how your iPhone will be physically impacted by the extreme temperatures and pressures in our upper atmosphere afterwards, and whether or not a simple styrofoam container will suffice.

This would be a great opportunity to contact a company like Otterbox to see if they can send you a complimentary or discount on one of their cases. Same for Mili or Mophie for additional battery power. They might like the idea of being part of a project that could gain some additional publicity for them and their products.

I don't know if there are any stringent weight requirements, so I don't know if the Otterbox and/or similar products would negatively impact the ascent of your weather balloon.

Good luck, and keep us informed!

3. Rbai63 thread starter macrumors member

On youtube someone put their iphone w/o a case inbetween two pieces of styrafoam and It worked well

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I would certainly add an external battery back.

The battery should last long, but after you've gone to all this trouble why not have a bit more safety? Anyway, from the last video I saw it was the cold that finally killed it, not the battery running out. That's the real problem you should be finding a solution for.

I don't know about the video recording time. You should just test that out and see what happens.

5. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

6. Rbai63 thread starter macrumors member

7. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Sorry, missed your comment about hand warmers. They worked for the guys in the video so should be fine for your attempt. Bubble wrap might be a better bet than newspapers - probably provides better insulation than newspapers and also offers good shock protection on impact. Good luck!

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I did a similar project back in college, and basically, don't put anything in the box that you don't want back. We did recover everything in one piece, but you never know if it will land in the middle of a highway and get run over, fall into a body of water, etc.

9. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

You won't get signal at that altitude, Mobile Me won't work.

11. MicroApple macrumors regular

It regains it's signal when it lowers back down apparently.

12. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

I think he was probably talking about tracking it once it came back down. Of course, if the phone goes out due to the cold, Find My iPhone won't work too well.

13. AML225 macrumors regular

But mobile me will work just fine when the iPhone is back on the ground waiting to be recovered.

Assuming it survives the fall.

14. MicroApple macrumors regular

I get the feeling that it won't. I feel like the other one survived because it got stuck in a tree. But this one might face a direct impact into the ground, even with a parachute that might be fatal to the phone.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

True. I was thinking the OP wanted to track it in the air.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's assuming it lands somewhere with cell service. Ours landed in the middle of nowhere in the middle of Missouri and I don't know if there was cell service. One of the guys working on it was an amateur radio and electronics expert and rigged up a GPS to a radio to transmit it via radio.

17. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Get the ImpactBand for the iPhone, but like I said, I think the Otterbox inside of a styrofoam container might survive a straight fall to a grassy land.

18. Rbai63 thread starter macrumors member

I have a SPOT gps messenger just incase of no Cell phone service I will still be able to track it, the SPOT messenger relies on GPS satellites.

19. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Why not buy a Flip for this? They are cheaper than an iPhone 4 and I think they have better battery life.

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Turn the brightness all the way down to save battery life.

Why though?

21. erinh macrumors newbie

weatherballoon... 90k ft... hmmm.
    it wouldn't be the phone I'd be worrying about as much as my freedom.
    assuming, of course, you don't have a friend at the FAA. ;)

IOW, I'd be looking into the necessity of contacting and clearing this with authorities. I read a while back about a guy doing this and that was one of his main comments (may have been on a DIY site). It's at least something to consider.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

no hand warmers will not work. You need something type of active heating system that does not real on stuff on the air to work.

Those hand warmers work by a chemical reaction reacting with oxygen in the air. At that high there is just enough enough oxygen left for them to work correctly.

So you will need something that that will warm it up that is complete self contained and does not really on anything from the outside environment.

23. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

A chemical heat pack would do the job. It doesn't rely on atmospheric oxygen, but mixes water and calcium or magnesium sulphate in a sealed package to create an exothermic reaction.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced