Senior Apple Support Tech Opens up about other carriers and bumper details. READ!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ScKcBc, Jun 26, 2010.

1. ScKcBc macrumors regular

Now I know I'm new here, but I've owned every iphone since they've came out. I also own an iMac, and macbook pro. I do love their products. Now onto the juicy stuff...

I called Apple today to get my complaint documented regarding the reception problem from holding the phone. I spoke to one person and then was put on hold for a long time. I was periodically checked up on. After 38 minutes total, I ended up with a senior tech support representative. I spoke to him for a longggg time and he genuinely started to open up more so then any other apple employee I've ever spoken to.

When I conveyed the fact that I wish the iphone was available with other carriers, he said word for word "I cannot go into detail, but options are coming soon"

When I told him my theory of how Apple probably knew there was intermittent issues with dropping calls when holding the phone and that I believed that's why they came up with this bumper case out of nowhere, he said word for word "I'm not going to talk about that with you, but your right. You've pretty much hit the nail on the head"

So yea, it's only 2 things but I think it goes to show you that Apple did know about this problem. Why would they make their own case, that only covers the antenna? This is the first case they've EVER made AFAIK. And it seems as if they push it on you a bit on apple.com and in the store.

They were probably way too far ahead to turn back by the time they realized and the bumper was a quick fix. Regardless, I did end up with a free black bumper being overnighted, ;)

Take it for what it's worth guys.

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Welcome to MacRumors. I think that the rep was still talking based on rumors he heard being discussed. By the way, you can't advertise sales in your signature.

3. Wailord macrumors 6502

Apple made a case for the iPad, then made one for their next product afterwards. Nothing special there. And, yeah, they're going to push their case because, hey, they want more monies. :p

4. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I believe you to be lying about your conversation with an Apple rep.

5. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

The rubber band aka "bump case" is not a case, it's simply a band of rubber-like material to cover the antenna/metal band from making contact with skin. Since it only serves to cover the metal portion of the phone and not what most cases cover which is pretty much everything but the display itself, I wouldn't hazard to call this "a case" at all myself.

$29 for something that probably costs $.20 to manufacture and it was manufactured for that one specific reason which is to prevent skin-on-metal contact which appears to be the very source of the issue people are having.

Ain't nobody else out there making a "bump case" for the iPhone 4 that I can find. Imagine a "bump case" for the iPad made precisely the same way, just a band going around the edge... you can't, can you? Nope, because the iPhone 4 is defective by design, and the "bump case" is the fix: produced, manufactured and sold by Apple itself.

6. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Defective by design? Mine doesn't have the problem.

7. Wailord macrumors 6502

It's a case to those of us without the tinfoil hats. It protects the edges of the phone while still showing the back and extending enough to it can't land flat on the face of the phone or the back. I really like it - it's got some hard plastic, but the soft rubber (or whatever it is) makes it feel better when you hold it, as it isn't as sharp. It's a massive reach to say that because Apple has a unique case (made to show off the phone) that they're trying to cover up for something. It's also ridiculous to say that its price has anything to do with any of this conspiracy theory people are passing around - all of these rubber cases are expensive as hell when you look at the manufacturing costs. I don't mean to come off as mean or rude at all, but I think that you all are reaching pretty hard here with your conspiracy theories. :rolleyes:

8. PureRED macrumors member

PureRED

As a guy that's roommates with a tier 2 tech rep for apple--they get told nothing. They know what you and I know, that's it.

The tier 1 reps also don't get told anything either, so whatever you get from them is simply speculation.

9. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

That. No one who was high up enough to know anything would be on the phone with you.

Added to the fact that they know they could get fired if by chance they did know something that was top secret and shared it with some random caller. The phone calls are randomly recorded.

10. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

It disappoints me to no end how on the week of the release of the most incredible piece of electronic technology in American history all the talk is about such nonsense.

It's as if during the week of Sargent Pepper's release all the talk was about the shrink wrap and not the music.

BJ

11. notmymac macrumors member

Actually....they use a system called WAVE and record ALL calls..They are only listened to randomly..or so they say...if they hate you they listen more..

We are never told ANYTHING about ANYTHING and if by chance we DO happen to hear the slightest rumor we are reminded of our Scope of Support and our commitment to never disseminate any information that is not contained on the Apple website...

A great example is this: I talk to you folks all day long and troubleshoot your issues with the Iphone 4. Have I ever seen one? NO....Have I ever operated one? NO...I use SGT (self guided training) materials to learn as much as I can and then hope to God I don't sound stupid when I talk with people who actually own the product...BTW...I haven't seen iOS 4.0 in action either.....meh

12. aequitas1234 macrumors member

Yes, please!

13. raremage macrumors 6502a

+1. I maintain it's a vocal minority being affected by a quality control flaw, not a design flaw.

14. ScKcBc thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not lying about anything. I'm not some apple psycho looking for attention, otherwise I'd be on apple forums all day with a million posts under my belt. This is the conversation I had and that's what he said.

15. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

TROLL ALERT

16. ScKcBc thread starter macrumors regular

If the guy didn't REALLY know anything and was speculating on rumors, then so be it, but this is what I was told. I'm not going to argue with people on here about the phone. This whole reception problem is more then just a coincidence. If it's NOT a design flaw, then it goes to show the poor level of quality Foxconn used when manufacturing this phone. Anyone that thinks Apple had no idea this was an issue is a complete idiot. I'm not hating on the phone at all, I love it. I think it's amazing and I wouldn't even consider getting rid of it. But I do want the bumper for free to see if the problem is solved. Especially since I can't even get one at my local apple stores.

When they DO release something to fix the problem, then what? What will people say then? Maybe they were testing the phone before 4.0 was done. Maybe the issue is a combination of 4.0 AND the construction of the phone. Just because YOU don't have the problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

17. tuatha macrumors regular

Don't engage with the fanboys. They will never believe you or anybody who has anything bad to say about apple.

If jobs himself said it, they'd find some way to doubt it.

Think of them like weirdos on the train: never make eye contact.

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The bumper case protects the phone from making direct contact with any flat-ish surface. I'm good with calling it a case, but we all have our different definitions.

Not directed at you personally, but I don't understand the complaints made by the assumed manufacturing cost. I've tried cheaper/eBay cases on my other iPhones and IMO they don't perform as well.

There are posts in the forum showing competitor's cases that look like bumpers. I think the manufacturer was "ILUV" but I could be wrong and am too lazy to search. ;)

19. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

ok

20. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I doubt the support tech would have access to this information. You sure he wasn't just talking about speculation too?

21. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

That's simply not true. Here are examples:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. ScKcBc thread starter macrumors regular

I meant the case they ever made for the iphone. I see that leather thing now but I've never seen that before. Must not have been marketed that well.

As I said before, the guy may have been speculating as well, but this is what I was told.

23. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

pretty sure you forgot CONFIRMED in your thread title.

People the bumper was not created to solve reception issues and an apple employee is not going to risk his job by admitting a new carrier is coming on a call that is being recorded by :apple: :rolleyes:

24. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Maybe. We also know that these "senior" tech people have been saying anything to shut people up since launch.

The bumper was made to protect the only part of the phone not covered by the gorilla glass or whatever they call it. I don't believe for a second the bumper is to cover the antenna issue. If thus was the case, the bumper was planned before the iP4 went into mass production. Think about that for a second, people.

25. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

How can it be a vocal minority when MR did a poll on the very front page? Just in the US alone, 13,932 are answered as having this issue and 11,780 have reported as not having this issue. So, ask you, how do you come to the conclusion that this is just a vocal minority?