Sennheiser headphones

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jasonbot, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Currently I have a pair of pxc 250 headphones but I'm looking to get some over ear headphones. I just need some assistance. Maybe even some pros and cons. The two models I'm looking at are the HD 595's and the PXC 350's.

From what I understand the 595's dont have noise canceling and thus should give some of that sound like if you put a seashell to your ear? Because my 250's do that when noise canceling is off.

And how does the sound quality of the 595's compare to that of the 350's and the 250's?

Thanks for the help!

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Having skipped the HD595's to go HD650 then to the Orpheus, I must admit I've not tried a pair of the HD595's. I used to have a pair of PXC250's though so I might be able to be of some help.

The HD595's are open, so you don't get the 'seashell' noise. Also I'm sure they're a heck of a lot better sounding than any of the PX series. The demerits are that tehy are not portable and that they offer no isolation / cancellation.

3. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I noticed that, but dont really understand. Is that why they have that grill pattern kinda venty bit instead of solid plastic?

Even though you say the PXC's sound bad in relation to the HD series surely the top of the line 350's wont be that bad?

And then finally- if I own a pair of PXC 250's and a pair of HD595's do you think Ill actually use them concurrently. since the one cancels noise and the other owns @ sounding good. This is also why I think getting the 350's will be better since I wont have to be torn between noise cancelling or sound quality. This is also why I wanna know the diff. between the HD595's and PXC 350's in terms of sound quality.

4. rogerh macrumors member

I have the sennheiser 595s with a macbook pro 15" 2.4 ghz SR model.

Headphones are great, but you will get the static/buzzing problems on the MBP :mad:

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I have the sennheiser 515 and they don't do noise canceling but sound great.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Simplistically speaking, closed designs keep the air in effect circulating inside the headphones. The PXC phones are based around the closed PX200 design. There are certain compromises in terms of how headphones sound when you close them up. Furthermore, the PX design is even more compromised in terms of closed phones because of how compact it has to be.

The HD595 is a large, open design and has less compromises for isolation, etc. As I said I don't have a 595, but suffice it to say it'll be a noticeable improvement in sound quality over any of the PXC's. Although as the other poster said, if you're using it directly out of a Macbook Pro the mediocre sound of the onboard chip will be more noticeable as well.

If you want to improve that after you get the phone and it bothers you enough, look into USB and Firewire soundcards with headphone outputs, or alternatively dedicated USB / digital input headphone amps from companies like Headroom (www.headphone.com). They also have helpful reviews of headphones as well. I have a couple of their high-end amps with the digital to analog converters built inside, one of which I use off a Mac - and while I think some professional soundcard/DACs do practically just as good a job (and are cheaper), the lower-end DAC/amps look to be nice devices.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

For the best sound, have a look at the Grado SR60 if you want to use the headphones with an iPod or portable computer, and SR80 if you want to use the headphones with your HiFi equipment.

8. seany916 macrumors 6502

1. noise-cancellation sucks Personally, I get a headache

2. make sure the headphones you get don't need an amp. they may be great amped, but without, they're a pale imitation of what they could otherwise be

HD 650 is the perfect example of #2

good luck!

9. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Thank you so much for this informative insight. From what I gather the noise cancelling headphones aren't all mighty as I've previously thought. I think Ill go for the 595's then. Maybe with the money saved Ill look into buying a firewire sound card.

On a side note: the 650's need an amp and the 595's dont? Or am I wrong?

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The 595 has a lower impedance than the 650, so can be used with lesser-powered outputs - like that found on the MBP.