Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sennheiser will begin shipping its fourth-generation Momentum wireless noise-canceling cans this week, throwing down the gauntlet to Apple, Bose, and Sony in the hotly-contested premium ANC headphones market.

sennheiser-momentum-4.jpg

The Momentum 4's boast a headline-grabbing 60 hours of listening time on a single charge, and also introduce a complete redesign of the company's flagship Momentum line for better comfort and less "clamping," says Sennheiser.

The visible cables have gone, while the metal hinge and leather exterior have been replaced by a simpler plastic design with ear cups that rotate flat when stowed. Many of the physical controls have also been removed in favor of a touch panel on the right cup that responds to gestures.

Sennheiser says the headphones feature a transparency mode and improved adaptive noise canceling (the stated 60-hour battery life is with ANC on). There's a quick charge feature that provides six hours of use in 10 minutes, and the headphones are also equipped with an automatic power off feature that kicks in when the cans are removed, ready to turn back on when you pick them up.

Sennheiser says the new 42mm transducer system inside delivers "brilliant dynamics, clarity and musicality," while users can tailor their audio experience using the built-in EQ, presets, sounds modes, and a new Sound Personalization feature. Meanwhile, multipoint on the Momentum 4's connects two devices at the same time, such as an iPhone for music and Mac for video calls, and the headphones come in a redesigned hardshell case.

Sennheiser's Momentum 4 headphones are available in cream and black colors, and can be pre-ordered now from the company's website for $349.95 ($50 less than the Momentum 3's were at launch) with shipping scheduled to begin on Tuesday. They will go up against Apple's AirPods Max ($549), Sony's WH-1000XM5 ($399), and Bose's 700 headphones ($399).

Article Link: Sennheiser's $350 Momentum 4 ANC Headphones Boast 60-Hour Battery Life

tobybrut

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2010
no hints about audio quality, losless, latency?
Obviously I don't have one yet, but I've seen a few reviews of this. From the gist of these videos, most reviewers think it has better sound quality than the Sony XM5 but worse active noise cancellation, though not by much. It does come with an audio cable if you want to listen to latency-free lossless audio, just like with the XM5. I cannot personally attest to any of this, so I suggest searching for some reviews. With 60 hours of battery life, double that of the XM5, and $50 less, it sounds like a pretty good deal.

I'm not going to buy it, though. I gave my XM4 to my daughter, but I still have my AirPods Max and I just got a pair of open backed wired headphones to go with the nice high impedance headphone jacks we get with our MacBook Air/Pros. I do like not needing a DAC.

StoneJack

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2009
I have Audio Technica's highly proclaimed ATH-M20XBT, its studio phones, 60 hours of great battery life, it has amazing sound, and cost about 50% of Sennheiser (mind you, I also have Sennheiser BT 4.50 wireless and Sennheiser Momentum 2 wired). https://www.audio-technica.com/en-au/ath-m20xbt, https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M20xBT-Wireless-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B09VJJLFX9, I also have a wired version of M20x-BT, both for studio work, highly recommend. Of course, Sennheiser is good, but I find M20x more intuitive to use.

tobybrut

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2010
I have Audio Technica's highly proclaimed ATH-M20XBT, its studio phones, 60 hours of great battery life, it has amazing sound, and cost about 50% of Sennheiser (mind you, I also have Sennheiser BT 4.50 wireless and Sennheiser Momentum 2 wired). https://www.audio-technica.com/en-au/ath-m20xbt, https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M20xBT-Wireless-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B09VJJLFX9, I also have a wired version of M20x-BT, both for studio work, highly recommend. Of course, Sennheiser is good, but I find M20x more intuitive to use.
I picked up a set of beyerDynamic DT 990 Pros 250 ohm version. They are really nice wired open back headphones that I use for listening to lossless. They sound great and they're cheap. Amazon has them for less than $130, which is a bit irritating. I bought them for $147. Every time I look, the price is lower than the last time I looked. LOL

Reactions: phrehdd

Will Co

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2021
United Kingdom
They now look almost identical to my B&W P7, which are the same price. Be interesting to compare the two for quality. I did compare Sennheiser's previous model, and they were nowhere near as good as the P7 IMHO.

Reactions: phrehdd

MajorFubar

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Many of the physical controls have also been removed in favor of a touch panel on the right cup that responds to gestures.
Shame, that's a guaranteed hard-pass from me then. I've had my fill of stupid 'touch sensitive' headphones that have a spasm when I put my hood up in the rain. Context: as a non-driver I walk almost everywhere, including a daily three mile commute to/from work, and this being NW England, raining is the norm for 8-10 months of the year. Some kind of physical buttons are a complete must.

coso

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
The old design was much better and premium, but if the performance of these is better then it's good. Sennheiser has a less engaging sound than other brands, Apple included, but more fidelity oriented. I had 2-3 pairs, but I only use Apple devices now, the ecosystem integration is just too convenient

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I don't know why Apple sound gears always get dissed. HomePods, AirPods and AirPods Max sound great. Sennheiser sound isn't that much better, if not worse.
They get dissed because although Apple ships the most amount of little speakers in the world, a handful of other companies focus on audio quality so much more than they do.

Apple’s earphones, in whatever form factor do have incredible connectivity and back and forth communication with each other, like Siri usage for example.

But for people that truly want to listen to their music in the absolute best quality, well then, Apple misses the mark when compared to a company like Sennheiser.

It’s just the way it is.

Although I personally believe Apple was going to blow us all out of the water when AirPods Pro Max or whatever they’re called came out and at the $449 price point it was flat out disrespectful at the quality of the sound.

Even non-true audiophiles know even wired headphones with an audio dac is better.

Zest28

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2022
I don't know why Apple sound gears always get dissed. HomePods, AirPods and AirPods Max sound great. Sennheiser sound isn't that much better, if not worse.

Ehmm … I have the Apple AirPods Pro and the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 3, and the Apple AirPods Pro sound like trash. Not even in the same league as Sennheiser.

The difference is so big, I’m not even sure the upcoming Apple AirPods Pro 2 might close the gap.

So I’m quite interested what Sennheiser will do with their full-size headphones if their earbuds already sound this good.

Reactions: airbusking and miq

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
I have Sennheiser HD 560S which I love. Would these wireless be anywhere in the ballpark? I guess I’ve never been into wireless cans because I’d never wear them outside my house and when I’m home I don’t mind being wired.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
All fine and good but I stopped caring about those since Apple introduced the W1 chip and all my AirPods connect automatically to the right device. It changed the game and there is no going back.
Can’t argue against that. But the life span of the airpod series are just disappointing. I have my Bose from six years ago and still use them almost daily and is still going strong. My airpod have since all died (battery simply just don’t hold charges anymore). Maybe I’ll try airpod max when it’s cheap enough.

jlc1978

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2009
I have Audio Technica's highly proclaimed ATH-M20XBT, its studio phones, 60 hours of great battery life, it has amazing sound, and cost about 50% of Sennheiser

But no noise cancelling. The Sennheisers are more for someone who wants decent sound and good noice cancelling, such as travelers. I've gone through a bunch of NC headsets over the years, and currently use the Bose 700's. My 2cd generation Momentums are quite nice as well. I travel a lot and am willing to trade amazing sound for really good noise cancellation as that is what makes a trip more bearable. YMMV.

In the end, it comes down to what you need and want. Amazing sound but no noise cancellation is useless to me, but may be just what you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: brucemr

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
All fine and good but I stopped caring about those since Apple introduced the W1 chip and all my AirPods connect automatically to the right device. It changed the game and there is no going back.

Funny, I can't get AirPods Pro to pair flawlessly with my Apple Watch, always requiring my input. But I can get my XM5 to pair automatically without any input with both my Surface Pro 8 and my iPhone, which I wouldn't be able to do with any AirPods.

"Game changer" someone has really bought into the Apple Marketing.

Reactions: Razorpit

ACHD

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2015
no hints about audio quality, losless, latency?
Currently Only Sony Has the only true lossles wireless codec.
If anything this will have AptX/AptxHD most likely. If not thats a bummer.

Even apples own products dont do lossless.

JanoschR

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
Germany
Funny, I can't get AirPods Pro to pair flawlessly with my Apple Watch, always requiring my input. But I can get my XM5 to pair automatically without any input with both my Surface Pro 8 and my iPhone, which I wouldn't be able to do with any AirPods.

Well, yes, I mostly own Apple products and AirPods excel in this kind of setup. I haven't said anything about other platforms because I don't know how good they work there (or if there are better solutions like the one you mentioned).

Razorpit

Suspended
Feb 2, 2021
If a random anonymous guy on the internet says it, it must be true
Well to be fare it was in large, bold type. That certainly adds to the credibility. 😉

I only use AirPods Pro because of how handy they are to put in your pocket and always have with you. Mine always seem to have a hard time connecting to my AppleWatch as well. And it's a Series 7 so no excuses there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.