Sensor-Shift Technology Could Bring Image Stabilization to Ultra-Wide Lens on 2020 iPhones

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's high-end 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch iPhones in 2020 will adopt sensor-shift image stabilization technology, according to a paywalled report today from hit-or-miss Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes.

While details are slim, sensor-shift technology could bring image stabilization to the ultra-wide lens on high-end 2020 iPhones.

iPhone 11 Pro models feature optical image stabilization for both photo and video, but only when using the wide-angle or telephoto lenses. Sensor-shift technology could change this, as the stabilization would apply to the camera sensor itself and not be dependant on any specific lens.

Sensor-shifting image stabilization could also result in better shots with attachable lens accessories like the OlloClip.

The report backs rumors that the high-end 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch iPhones will each sport a triple-lens rear camera system with time-of-flight 3D sensing. Largan Precision is said to be the primary supplier of the lenses, fulfilling 80 percent of orders, with Genius Electric Optical picking up the remaining 20 percent.

Taiwan-based ALPS will supply motors for the sensor-shifting stabilization, and Sony will offer CMOS image sensors, the report adds.

Article Link: Sensor-Shift Technology Could Bring Image Stabilization to Ultra-Wide Lens on 2020 iPhones

Reactions: jcswim312

BootsWalking

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2014
There's another benefit to implementing sensor-shift - ultra-high resolution imaging by taking multiple exposures with the sensor shifted a pixel or 1/2 pixel between exposures. It's only feasible in good light, so that the burst can be done quickly and at fast shutter speeds, unless the users mounts the camera/phone on a tripod.

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
Ultra wide tends not to need IS as camera shake doesn’t impact the final image like it does when you are dealing with a telephoto. IS in general is good in the 70mm + range or their equivalent phone camera range.
IS greatly imrpoves panoramas, for both the wide and ultra wide lenses.

anthogag

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
Even better image stabilization is welcomed. Zooming a picture should be clearer.

iOS should get rid of the pinch-zoom limit in the photos app. Let me zoom-in as much as I want. Right down to the pixel.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

recoil80

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2014
If this all plays out the 2020 phone is going to be great in my opinion.
I think they'll postpone some features.
2020 is the year of 5G and there may be a new design. They need to have something for the S version of the phone in 2021, it may be a new powerful chip but also camera and who knows, maybe some new tech like under the screen TouchID.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
seems like the 2020 model is going to be everything that the 2019 model should've been!
Why? The 2019 iPhone was the first to introduce the ‘triple lens camera’, wouldn’t you expect Apple to build off of that for the 2020 year? That seems feasible. Considering that they ration their features annually, there’s zero reason the 2019 iPhone _should_ be the 2020 iPhone, when it’s an incremental building process.

alexandr

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Why? The 2019 iPhone was the first to introduce the ‘triple lens camera’, wouldn’t you expect Apple to build off of that for the 2020 year? That seems feasible. Considering that they ration their features annually, there’s zero reason the 2019 iPhone _should_ be the 2020 iPhone, when it’s an incremental building process.
yes, which is one of the only significant differences from the x/xs models. better battery and the lack of 3d touch, which is quite a significant, yet negative difference, especially given the "pro display" statement. with that said - the notch is the same as two years before, no significant improvement to face id, no reverse charging and so on.

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
None of this makes much sense to me. Stabilization is not all that useful for wide focal lengths. And the idea in many of the articles discussing this rumor, that you can stabilize the sensor and therefore not have to stabilize “all three lenses,” seems to based on the weird misunderstanding that there is one sensor with three lenses and not three sensors, each with its own lens.

Strokee

macrumors member
May 13, 2018
I think they'll postpone some features.
2020 is the year of 5G and there may be a new design. They need to have something for the S version of the phone in 2021, it may be a new powerful chip but also camera and who knows, maybe some new tech like under the screen TouchID.
This ^
Those of you thinking that they’re putting everything in these rumors into the 2020 iPhones will be disappointed.

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
yes, which is one of the only significant differences from the x/xs models. better battery and the lack of 3d touch, which is quite a significant, yet negative difference, especially given the "pro display" statement. with that said - the notch is the same as two years before, no significant improvement to face id, no reverse charging and so on.
Seems like you want change for change's sake. The notch is a non-issue. Face ID _is_ improved... it works at a broader angle. Reverse charging is brand new technology that can't be good for battery life. We'll likely see it simply because the competition has it, but don't expect it to be nice to your battery.

alexandr

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Seems like you want change for change's sake. The notch is a non-issue. Face ID _is_ improved... it works at a broader angle. Reverse charging is brand new technology that can't be good for battery life. We'll likely see it simply because the competition has it, but don't expect it to be nice to your battery.
no, i don't want change for the sake of change, but if there is a new model being released imho it should have enough improvements in order to cost as much as iphones "pro".
sure, it's improved, but it still doesn't work in landscape mode, which would've been an actual improvement worth mentioning. i wouldn't use reverse charging unless it was the last resort, but samsung has had it for over a year now. just saying.

brucemr

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2019
no, i don't want change for the sake of change, but if there is a new model being released imho it should have enough improvements in order to cost as much as iphones "pro".
Phone price is for the phone, not for the incremental improvements vs. last years model.