Separate Forum For Mac Mini Please

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by lamerica80, Nov 29, 2009.

1. lamerica80 macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

Why are imac and mac mini in the same forum? It makes no sense and is very frustrating for me as a mini user.

2. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

This question would have been better posted in the Site and Forum Feedback Forums?

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Because they are both consumer desktops. And, yes, this should be in the Site and Forum Feedback forum.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A Mac Mini forum would be pretty dead. Use Mroogle and you'll get better search results.

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

if you can't sort through messages this is not the place to hang out. it is not a bid deal to look through them.

6. lamerica80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

So cause the mini forum would be "pretty dead" we need to drench it with threats about imacs, a fundamentally different system with more upgrade options? PLUS, as a mini user i never read imac threads, and vice versa i suppose. That should be reason enough in terms of usability..

How can people be against it? Are you so afraid of change? Mac-people i guess...

This is the internet. Everything is possible. Even having a separate thread for each mac product ;)

7. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

everyone and their dog wants a group dedicated to what they have or are interested in. but it takes time and money and if the traffic does not justify it it will not happen. why should the mods have to do it because your too lazy to spend the slight extra time it takes to go through the messages?

8. oxfan macrumors member

Have you tried www.123macmini.com? The site is dedicated to the Mini; when I first got my mini I found lots of info about upgrading the hard disk and memory etc.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The aforementioned site is a good option. Using the search feature will help, but this seems unnecessary.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I would say yes as long as it sticks to the Server side of the Mac Mini.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...so the Mac Mini forum can be even more dead? Huh?

12. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

While were at it can I have a forum for my apple remote? Not the new one (although they deserve a forum too) but the old white one? :rolleyes:

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Now that Apple no longer supports them in its most recent OS, it would be a good time to hive off the PPC machines into their own forum. It would help those with PPC related questions not have to wade through the 99% Intel ones.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, but you can have Mac Mini forum now that it has a server side all in one place... I just said that wrong.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

That really confused me. Is it just me or does that make no (grammatical) sense?

16. MasterDev macrumors 65816

I feel it's missing something too.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ok here it is, as best as I can say it in my 2nd order language:

The Mac Mini should now be considered for it's own forum. Now, even more considering it got a Server side and hence, much more people will need help in case their Mac Mini decides to throw a fit. True right now there is not much traffic, but it takes time.

That's my take.

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Gotcha, I understand English is your second language, it's just I was rather confused. I will never post anything in Spanish on here (I presume that is your primary language given another thread), that would be a disaster.

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think it's the "server side" that is throwing people. What do you mean?

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would say that the reference is to the Mac Mini Server. Something like, now that the Mac Mini Server exists and there are numerous uses that a Mac Mini can be specifically tasked to beyond just a standard PC (HPTC, web server, etc...) having a separate forum seems justified.

21. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

We do have a forum specifically set up for Mac OS X Server. Probably wouldn't hurt to see if that forum can meet the current needs at the moment.

22. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes this is what I meant. Silly me.

It would make sense, but if the problem were to be software. However, if it requires certain interaction of hardware or special configuration of a small Mac Mini Server farm, that'd be a different story.

I know it's a far fetched idea, but it does hold its merits. After all, the new way (Mac Mini as server) people use the Mac Mini was something not even Apple thought of (hence they caught up).

23. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Can't you install OS X server on any Intel Mac? Hardware wise, isn't the Mini Server the same as a normal mini, just with 2 hard drives and no optical drive?

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You can, but does it make sense to use it as such? I mean, how many people do you know have a MacBook and are using it as a server? Or for that matter, how many people use their MacBook Airs as servers?

I know you can, but this whole new side of the Mac Mini gives it more credit.