Separate MacBook Air Forum

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arn, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Since the MacBook Air is now shipping and likely to generate a lot of MacBook Air specific questions and discussion. I've created a separate forum for it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122

It's possible that this is only a temporary separation while talk of the Air is high. but we'll see over time.

arn

2. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

3. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

4. LouTreize macrumors regular

5. akadmon macrumors 68010

6. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

thank heavens

now take the macbook air out of the macbook pro update category on the mainsite please

7. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thanks arn. makes things a bit better while there's a lot of MBA talk going on.

9. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Great idea arn, I'm sure many MacRumors members will find this very useful. I think the product is unique enough that it does indeed warrant its own attention in this respect.

11. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

12. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

This is good, every time I look I see about 90% MBA threads and not the MacBook threads I look for.

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It might suit certain people now, but it might also set a precedent for forum bloat. Apple are so inconsiderate; they should have consulted with us first. They need to stop making new stuff. ;)

Next it'll be the Mac Tablet forum and the Headless Mid-Range Mac forum...

14. LouTreize macrumors regular

Ah, the Mac Tablet, a nice breath of fresh air...one day, one day...

15. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

but but, what about that one guy who thinks the macbook air is just a small macbook pro?

16. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Now how about splitting the "macbook, macbook pro" forum into two separate headings?

17. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

There's not really enough product differentiation. They're of the same family or class of machines. The only reason the Air was broken off (and as Arn said, maybe only temporarily), is because of the high level of specific, unique interest.

Also, the more the forums get fragmented, the less "cross-pollination" of posts from members would occur, and we'd start to be actively removing much of the "community" feeling. I have to remind myself to visit the Mac Pro/Power Mac subforums from time to time already. I think the more we split, the more we lose a broader discussion/knowledge base.

The Forum Spy & New Posts features eliminate that split when generally viewing, though, but I don't know how many members use or don't use those, so I can't venture a guess as to whether more or less granularity is a good or bad thing.

Lastly, I don't know what the limits of vBulletin are, but there are likely some limits involved. I'm sure Arn has to carefully choose how far the forums cam be split for that reason alone.

18. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

All very valid points that I hadn't considered but it seems to me at least that the macbook and macbook pro are sufficiently different to be deserving of separate headings.

Also, as I'm interested in a MBP, it can be more than a tad annoying to continuously open posts that aren't clear in their titles which actually are exclusively macbook-related on viewing them when all of my interest is in the MBP. Sometimes there are more posts that aren't related to the MBP than are and I just wonder if it would be more efficient to have two separate headings (especially now that the macbook air got its own heading).

I didn't mind the macbook air being part of the macbook, macbook pro forum because it seemed like "this is the notebook forum, so all notebook questions go here," but now that the macbook air has its own heading, it does seem a little strange.

Just my thoughts.

19. Joko macrumors 6502

Joko

20. fung68 macrumors newbie

HELP lost newbie (from windows lost in the macworld)

:confused:HELP, hi there, don't know where to turn, i just received my mac air, love it but i downloaded some avi files and all, now i put them on a external harddrive and my mac air still says that my drive is full, where are the files, i stepped from windows to mac so i have no clue sometimes what to do, i got them from limewire, so i deleted my shared, saved folders but still there are files that take up space where do i look, my trash bin is empty.

thanks so much i also don't knwo how this whole website works, so my email is fung68@yahoo.com any help will be greatly appreciated.:confused::confused:

21. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

we really do not need these stickys anymore waste of space

22. hipaying macrumors newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.