Sept 12 disappointed-lost-need-advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by What mac, Sep 12, 2012.

1. What mac macrumors newbie

Was hoping like many others for iMac upgrade. Could never see the benefit of apple over windows purely in terms of cost. But then I got 2 iPhones 4/4s, apple tv 2 and ipad2, since then I have become addicted to the user friendliness of these devices. So I wanted to compliment them with the iMac that didn't appear today.

Basically I want to know the best way to fill the missing link in my Apple only home computing suite. We are a general use family, my son needs printing and so on for school and I am an amateur photographer / movie buff. :confused:

2. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

3. Bargle macrumors regular

10% upgrade in CPU and GPU if you wait for the rumored 2012 model.

$200.00 in rebates and itunes giftcard if you buy the current imac.

I'm going with 200$

4. Billyvasil macrumors newbie

USB 3, faster CPU & GPU, better panel, possible redesign? That might be worth a few bucks in my book.

5. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

if you ask this after wwdc, I would say buy it now. cause I bought my imac on june 12.

but now, if you can hold longer with what you have. I'd say wait until october.

6. Deadlake macrumors newbie

Might have to wait, supplies of 21 and 27 " iMacs are running low on amazon :D

Maybe a rush to get 2011 model....

7. Apple Guy3 macrumors newbie

Also the 2012 iMac update should be coming very soon, on the USA Apple store, all iMacs and Mac Minis have slipped to 1-2 business days shipping, and yesterday they were "in-stock." Which usually means an update very soon.

Wait, it will always be worth it, unless you want a Mac Pro :p

8. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

In my opinion, all signs point to October for a new iMac. If I'm wrong, oh well. I've been waiting to buy one too and I hope it is sooner than later. But October seems pretty likely, and I'm expecting just a silent refresh and a "new" tag on apple.com, no big event.

9. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I bought another 27" iMac very recently.

I have another one I bought many months ago.

I see no point in waiting, there is nothing earth shattering on the horizon for the next one as far as I am concerned.

10. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Excellent point. I think the OP should just get one now and enjoy.

11. FISSIKSMAN macrumors newbie

You'll love it

If you are an amateur photographer and you never tried playing around with your photos on an iMac you are in for a treat. I would wait patiently for the upgrade and see what new things they bring along with it, but either way, you'll love your photos on the large clear monitors, and you'll like iPhoto.

12. What mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thxx for your replies, sound advice, but can I expand my quandary by asking 2 questions.
    1. If I buy the iMac will I be able to link all my devices through it, ie for back ups and file sharing etc. 2 iPhones, ATV2 & ipad2 or will I still have to buy the airport extreme
    2. Desktop or MacBook air, I see the desktop spec is a lot more for the money , but not having it fixed in one room/position

13. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

You will need wireless for the tv I believe. I have Apple TV and don't recall there being any other way to connect with it. Somebody correct me if I am wrong there but I think the point is the tv and computer are not usually in close proximity to each other that a cable would not be a good solution.

Not having to fool with wires for all your devices would be a real plus I would think anyway. Messing with that repeatedly for years would get pretty old.

Desktop or laptop? That is something only you can tell. Do you need/want mobility enough to make trade offs for it? Would you rather have a big screen? Think about how you'd like to be using this computer and you'll arrive at your own conclusion there.

14. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I have ....

1 iPhone 4
    1 iPod Touch
    1 iPad 1
    2 iPad 2
    1 Apple TV

All of them are sync/backed up through a single iMac with external drives attached for all data/media libraries.

The only thing going through a router is the Apple TV and that is only for convenience.

I would not even compare an iMac to a Macbook Air.

If anything compare the iMac to the Macbook Pro's.

IMHO the Macbook Air is a 'netbook' or to put it bluntly a crippled notebook. That's just my opinion.

15. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

It depends. My home was pre-wired for Cat 5E. Everything is ethernet that can be, freeing up wifi bandwidth for iDevices. Nice little ports next to the power outlets, works great with multiple AppleTVs.

16. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

I highly beg to differ! No OP, please do not get one now. Shipping estimates are slipping which is highly indicative of an imminent refresh. I have been waiting since February for a new iMac. I can gladly wait an extra couple of weeks. They will be here and will be here soon. You know Dirtyharry50, despite your resolve that the new iMacs were't coming, I guess the recent tea leaves have humbled you a bit and softened your stance as I read now that you acknowledge there may be a refresh in October. I'm glad to know you don't follow a course of action in ignorance even when the truth is plainly in front of you, and for that, you have my respect.

p.s. you were flamed pretty bad man but you brought it all upon yourself :p

17. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

Imagine the iMac with the same looks as the iPhone 5 :eek: anodised metal would be so sleek on the iMac. Makes me not so disappointed it wasn't released today because it keeps hopes up for that dream of mine :p

18. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

There's only a month and a half to go to find out. Just wait it out.

19. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Well, as always, it comes down to degrees of want and need.

If you need an iMac and by 'need', I mean is the lack of an iMac costing you money or actively harming you in anyway, then get one now. It's unlikely you'll be disappointed and you stop hurting/losing money, whatever.

If you simply want an iMac and that 'want' is not a need, then wait.

There's a lot of people confuse 'want' with 'need'

Note, that 'I want an iMac now' is a very simple request that can be satisfied fairly easily. 'I want an iMac 2012 now' is something that is not possible and sounds a bit Verucca Salt (if that reference travels).

20. Overg macrumors 6502

still

I am still shocked that people really believed that apple will release new imacs in the 12.9 event...
    people, not every apple event is around imac, and especially when every rumour on the planet say otherwise + the invitation from apple practically say : iphone five on it...
    it is really amazing to see people grasp on any non logical cue from apple to believe that the new imac is coming.
    The only place it could come is October ( as all the rumours published.) in the ipad event or even later...

----------

I tihnk that unless you are complete dumb you SHOULDN'T buy a new imac, when every rumour say that it will come in three weeks.

21. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

22. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

So true.

23. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

You obviously haven't used one for any length of time then...

1. Better screen resolution than 2012 13" MBP
    2. Faster boot times that 2012 13" MBP
    3. Comes standard with SSD which makes it extremely fast
    4. Same graphics (Intel HD4000) as 2012 13" MBP
    5. Comparable performance benchmarks to 2011 MBP (some performance hit in things like FCP and other heavy-threaded apps)

Its specs are obviously behind that of a MBP (otherwise why have two different product lines) but to call it a "crippled notebook" suggests ignorance. You should check this out and see how far the MBAs have come in 2 years.

http://anandtech.com/show/6063/macbook-air-13inch-mid-2012-review

After using my new 13" MBA side-by-side with my 2008 iMac (with maxed out RAM and an SSD that I installed) I can see where I could EASILY get along with a MBA and a TB display and replace my desktop altogether. Sure, the 2011 iMac's are faster, but Aperture, iPhoto, iMovie and Photoshop CS5 all run fast enough on my 2008 iMac; using them on the MBA is a more pleasurable user experience except for the display size. All of those apps are faster on the MBA.

24. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

Exactly.If won't be any new Imac within October i'll pull the trigger
    and will buy a Classic 2012 MacBook Pro..which just lacks in Gpu (650 instead of 680),because i really needed for November projects.

25. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The GPU bump is in the range of 50-100%. Not 10%.