September 9th iPad Announcement

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Codeseven, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Any guesses on what will be announced concerning iPads on Sept. 9th?

I'm hoping for a Pro announcement but that might not be till October (if at all).

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Absolutely nothing.

iPad Air 2 announced Oct 16th 2014.
    iPad Air announced Oct 22 2013.

The only thing they will possibly rehash in the iPhone keynote is iOS 9 multi-tasking abilities on the Air 2 that we already know about.

3. iMacmatician macrumors 601

An iPad mini 4 introduction on September 9th (or whenever the event will be) may make sense if it will have 2 GB RAM and supports the iOS 9 split-screen feature. Then Apple has both an iPad Air and an iPad mini that are ready to support split-screen when iOS 9 arrives (presumably) later that month.

If a new iPad mini is announced, then I also expect a new iPad Air to be announced on the same day (even if it's a minor update).

4. zamboni52 macrumors regular

Even though I think the Air 2 is still before its time, if they introduced an Air 3 with force touch, upgraded TouchID, A9 and maybe 3GB of RAM, I would return my Air 2 at Costco and further future proof myself. This would give the latest tech and better battery life. I love my Air 2 as is but I also love to upgrade if it's worth it.

5. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

This. Tim & Co want to make sure the iPhone and iOS9 is forefront. And they will play up Watch 2.0. Second in September will be El Capitan. As good as the Air2 is, there might be only an incremental update, just not sure what it would be, but we won't see that until October. Only so much you can do in 2 hours, plus they want that extra shot for the holiday season. Introducing too many of their mainstream products at once is too much competition for the consumer $$$.

6. Dave245 macrumors 601

I'm having a hard time believing that Apple will announce new iPad's at the September event, however i would love to see the announcement of the iPad Pro (if of course it exists). I do think there is too much to announce in one event with iPhone's, iPad's and the Apple TV. It could simply be that Apple plan to announce the iPhones, Apple TV and a few software updates (Apple Pay, WatchOS) this would probably take us up to the 1.5 - 2 hour time frame that Apple events often last.

I also don't think iPad's will be announced at the same event simply because Apple wouldn't want them to upstage each other, especially if they plan to announce a new iPad Pro, it could take some of the attention away from the iPhone.

7. dylman macrumors regular

dylman

2 iPhones, 3 iPads and a new Apple TV does seem like a lot to get through in one event, especially with iOS 9 and Watch OS 2 as well. I'd have though the iPad Pro would deserve a stage all to itself. I do hope it's true though, I'm desperate for a new iPad.

8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Maybe it's just the iPad pro is announced in October

9. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

Meh, I'll believe it when Apple announce it.

10. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

People claiming they won't announce it in September simply because they've only announced them so far in October have no idea what Apple's plans are. For all we know they want to group all the devices up together that are about to be bumped to 2 gig of memory to run the new features of OS9. No better way to do that than to feature them all at one event.

11. Dave245 macrumors 601

This is true, Remember the iPad 3 and then the 4 came out not long after! but while this is true, i simply don't think Apple would have time in their presentation to announce 2 new iPhones (6 and 6+) Apple TV, new iPads (possibly including the iPad Pro) and talking about updates such as IOS9, OS X, WatchOS2 and so on. I think it's more likely we will see iPhones and Apple TV and the iPad's will be saved for the October event like usual along side new Mac's.

12. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

I totally agree with this. I know none of us have an inside track on Apple's plans, but it is a consumer products company driven by sales, especially the holidays at the end of the year. Given that iPad numbers are sagging and rumors about an Apple TV abound, it feels like iPhone, iOS 9, Apple TV AND iPads are too much to expect in September. Doing something with iPads in October, especially if there is an iPad Pro in the works, feels a bit more consistent with Apple's history and smarter for pushing sales for the holidays.

13. iMacmatician macrumors 601

My guess regarding the iPads is that the iPad mini 4 will have the rumored redesign that resembles the existing iPad Air 2, while the iPad Air 3 will have a more minor update (possibly like the iPad mini 3). Thus neither update should be in a position to upstage the iPhones. Also, if the iPad mini 4 supports split-screen, then during the keynote they can tie it in with one of the big features of iOS 9. I agree regarding the iPad "Pro" though, since I expect it to have a bunch of new features.

14. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

After reading the reply's, I too agree that it would seem more likely that an iPad/iPad Pro announcement would be more likely to happen in October along with any Mac announcements.

But I'd love to see a Pro announcement tied to iOS 9 in September.

15. littelsquidge macrumors member

Yep, I think iPad announcement more likely come in October, but Apple could always surprise us.

I've just posted on the main article, but going to mention it here too:

AMEX have just emailed UK cardholders an offer of £50 cashback when you spend £500 at the Apple Store. The offer expires in September the 10th. So expect preorders to open on 11th September for any devices announced on the 9th.

The timing of this offer does seem to re-inforce the rumoured 9th September announcement... at least that's what the cynic in me says.

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

This month is August and Apple have not send an invitation out just yet. Maybe iPhone or iPad is not ready. iOS 9 still too many bugs to iron out. Tim Cook wants to make sure everything is perfect and flawless first.

17. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Don't they only send out invites like a week or two before the event? No way a month before.

18. Dave245 macrumors 601

Yea it's to early, they won't send the invites out until around the end of August or the first week in September.

19. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Yeah I should have typed "one or two weeks before the end of August....."

20. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

As much as I love my Air 1, I'd be potentially interested in an Air 3 but as I've said plenty of times they MUST take care of the vibrating chassis and screen. I don't use headphones and any kind of volume on the Air 2 makes it resonate too much for my liking. Hell, they could keep the same specs as the Air 2 but if they just rectified this problem I'd BITE!

IPad Pro? Probably bite on that too but the price would have to be far enough away from a MacBook for me to do that.

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And on top of this, there more than likely won't be anything announced on Sept. 9th:
    1. Bucks the pattern of them announcing products on Tuesdays. That's been one of Apple's main points: consistency. Most of their announcements have been on Tuesdays, which this isn't.
    2. Even if moved to Sept. 8th, there's a problem: day after Labor Day in the US. No time at all for media and dignitaries to get out to Cupertino/Bay area for an event, unless they want to spend a day away from family and flying on a holiday.
    So if they stick with consistency, it would normally be the 1st or 2nd Tuesday of each month. In this case, could be the 15th.. all just to stick in Microsoft's craw and do it on a Patch Tuesday.

BL.

22. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

The iPad is too important to share the spotlight with iPhone. It deserves its own event.

23. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Maybe they will only do an updated space grey colour ( like Apple Watch) for the ipad air 2?

24. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I think they'll stick to previous cycles and have the iPhone event in September, followed by the iPad event in October. iPhones, iPads, New Apple TV, New iPad Pro, and new Apple Watch just seem like too much to deal with all in one event. Even last year's September event felt rushed, and it only had 3 new products (iPhone 6/6+, Apple Pay, and Apple Watch) being announced!

25. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I think it's about time they update the Mac Pro, obviously they'll talk about the next iPhones and mention the iPad.